"КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » "КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём! » Дом, семья и развлечения. » World News in English. Mashed: Vanity Fair.Celebrity.Lifestyle.Money..

World News in English. Mashed: Vanity Fair.Celebrity.Lifestyle.Money..

Сообщений 761 страница 780 из 874

World News in English. Mashed: Vanity Fair. Celebrity. Lifestyle.Money

http://sd.uploads.ru/t/aqYbR.png

World News in English.
The Cheat Sheet
This is Meghan Markle's Diet
Travel&Leisure
Family recipe.http://sh.uploads.ru/t/thI9J.gif 
It's an old Middleton family recipe.
Money
President Kennedy’s Favorite Waffle Recipe
Celebrity.  Lifestyle.
16 Hsting Rules Kate Middleton Never Breaks
Quotes about Life
Prince Philip to retire from public duties at age of 96
Vanity Fair.
All types of modern short stories are here with better language.
You are welcome to read these short stories so as to enjoy your time.
Life Hacks
Popular Destinations for Flights
Gig poster

etc

+1

Style
Handy hacks to stop your glasses steaming up when you wear a face mask

The rules around wearing face coverings in shops in England are about to change, and people in Scotland and other European cities are already being asked to wear them in enclosed public spaces.

While the measures are an important step in helping to prevent the spread of coronavirus, if you happen to be a glasses wearer you’ll realise that the donning of a face mask can cause your breath to steam up your lenses.

And foggy lenses are no good to anyone, just ask Michael Gove.

“Wearing a facemask or face covering is becoming the new normal, but one of the minor problems of the COVID-19 pandemic is fogged-up eyewear,” explains Ceri Smith-Jaynes from the Association of Optometrists.

“This happens when warm breath escapes from the top of the mask and lands on the cooler surface of the lens.”

Read more: Doctor shares video explaining how face masks don’t reduce your oxygen intake

Thankfully, there are some simple hacks you can adopt to help you stop the steam.

Ensure the mask is well-fitted

Smith-Jaynes suggests taking a little time to shape the nose wire on your face mask, so it closely follows the contours of your nose and cheeks and secure the top strap well. “If your mask has no wire, you can insert a twist tie or pipe cleaner into the top edge of the mask,” she adds. “You could secure the top edge with micro-pore tape, if necessary. Alternatively, fold a tissue until it forms a strip and place it along the top edge of the mask before you put it on.”

Adjust the loops

If you have a small head, you may find you need to twist the loops before putting them around your ears to get a snugger fit. “If the mask has tapes to tie it, tie the top one high on the back of your head after putting on your glasses,” Smith-Jaynes explains.

Buy good quality anti-fog sprays

Not all anti-fog sprays are created equal. “Good quality anti-fog sprays can work well and can be purchased from most opticians,” Smith-Jaynes says.

Though it is tempting to swish some washing-up liquid on your lenses, according to optometrists this is a big no, no. “[Using washing up liquid on lenses] can break down the anti-reflection lens coating gradually over the years, resulting in a crazy-paving effect for which there is only one cure – replacement lenses,” Smith-Jaynes warns.

Keep your glasses warm

Your lenses will fog up more if they are cold, so Smith-Jaynes suggests wearing your glasses or putting them in your pocket to warm them a little before you need to put them on with your mask.

Have your glasses professionally fitted

Still steaming up under your mask? Might be worth seeking professional help from your optician. “Remember to take your mask with you (and your face-shield if you need to work in one),” Smith-Jaynes says. “They can adjust the nose-pads or sides to fit properly with your PPE. Varifocals will need to sit exactly right to ensure optimum performance.”

Consider contact lenses

If you’ve never worn them before, now could be a good opportunity to give them a go. “If it’s been years since you wore contact lenses, ask the practice about the new options,” Smith-Jaynes suggests.

“You’ll need a professional fitting by an optometrist or contact lens optician. The range of prescriptions is vast; even if you wear varifocal glasses, there are options for you.”

Lifestyle
These Cozy Recipes Are Perfect for a Lazy Sunday

These Cozy Recipes Are Perfect for a Lazy Sunday

Sunday dinners are all about spending quality time with family and friends, relaxing at the end of the weekend, and of course, enjoying a delicious, comforting meal with loved ones. These creative, family-favorite dinner ideas instantly make memories with healthy soups and stews, cozy comfort food, and plenty of quick Instant Pot recipes so that you can spend more time with your family and less time in the kitchen. Try our best-ever fried chicken for a classic Southern Sunday supper or 20-minute drumsticks for the easiest-ever Sunday dinner idea.

Looking for a good way to spend a lazy summer Sunday? Cooling and fresh lettuce wraps, a simple shrimp boil, or any of these fresh corn recipes are sure to fill you up without breaking a sweat. Or maybe you’re looking for a good meal to cook on a Sunday, no matter the season? You can’t go wrong with a traditional Italian-inspired Sunday dinner: Lasagna, meatballs, carbonara, and risotto all make mouthwatering appearances on this list. Sheet pan dinners, one-pot wonders, and budget-friendly beauties make Sunday dinner with family that much easier, while all of those yummy leftovers make meal prepping for the week a total breeze

Lufthansa

Dear Mr. Х,

If you spent the past few months at home with your partner, your family, or even your roommates – why not spend the next few weeks together somewhere new? You could visit Malta, Menorca or Split for some sun and culture.

Malta
Sunbathing at
the Blue Lagoon

With scenic hikes along the cliffs, pristine wilderness and rural villages where you can watch basket weavers, silversmiths and glassblowers at work – there's never a dull moment in Malta. You'll even come across a very special village: the set of the movie "Popeye".

Travelling with children

Flying with children in these times raises questions: at what age do the little ones have to wear masks on board? Can I still have my baby's food warmed up? Are toys still offered? You'll find answers to these questions and many more, by following this link.

Dining under the stars
The golden rays of the evening sun paint the Old Town of Split in the warmest colours. You'll find cozy restaurants in the alleys winding down to the harbour – some of them even have an ocean view.

Jonathan von Gutzeit
Meet the Expert

This week, our customer service expert talks about the Lufthansa Service Centers, which are currently quite busy. If you are affected by any delays on our hotlines, we'd like to offer our apologies. Furthermore, we'll give you some insight into why this situation occurred.

Safe and flexible travel

On the ground and in the air: your health is our top priority when travelling with us.

Plan your new trip and use our flexible rebooking options.

Celebrity
http://sg.uploads.ru/t/a7ETL.jpg
Prince Philip bows out after 81 years of service – and we should all salute him
Harry Mount
The TelegraphJuly 22, 2020, 10:54 PM

http://sg.uploads.ru/t/m0ygF.jpg
Philip Mountbatten

The Armed Forces are the spine running through Prince Philip’s life. His attachment to them predates even his 73-year marriage to the Queen. He joined the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, as a cadet in 1939, when he was still a teenager. The Navy became Philip’s refuge after an intensely rackety youth: born into the Greek royal family in 1921, he was flung out of Greece, along with them, when he was aged only one. He’d happened to join the Royal Navy at just the right time for an ambitious young officer in search of action. He fought bravely in Second World War in the Battle of Crete and the Battle of Cape Matapan, rising to become a first lieutenant in 1942, at the age of only 21. And he was there, in Tokyo Bay, when the Japanese surrendered.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/5f/e0/bf/5fe0bf9ecaabf75422e9f6f97464f0f2.jpg

The Armed Forces are the spine running through Prince Philip’s life. His attachment to them predates even his 73-year marriage to the Queen. He joined the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, as a cadet in 1939, when he was still a teenager.

The Navy became Philip’s refuge after an intensely rackety youth: born into the Greek royal family in 1921, he was flung out of Greece, along with them, when he was aged only one.

He’d happened to join the Royal Navy at just the right time for an ambitious young officer in search of action. He fought bravely in Second World War in the Battle of Crete and the Battle of Cape Matapan, rising to become a first lieutenant in 1942, at the age of only 21. And he was there, in Tokyo Bay, when the Japanese surrendered.
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/12/1c/2e/121c2ec34e8d63bbb422458075feee8d.jpg
Prince Philip could have been James Bond!

After the war, Prince Philip and the young Princess Elizabeth spent what they see as one of the happiest spells of their life: moving to Malta in 1949, where he was first lieutenant on the destroyer HMS Chequers, and she was a happy naval wife and mother. In 1950, he was given command of the frigate HMS Magpie.

He was still only 29, with a glittering naval career ahead of him. Experts say there was every chance that he would follow his uncle, Lord Mountbatten, as First Sea Lord.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/ce/eb/3a/ceeb3ad604d8e15acb8eb92d28d6d086.jpg

It was not to be. Marriage to the future Queen of England in 1947 was bound to curtail his naval career but no one knew that would happen as soon as it did. After the Queen’s accession to the throne in 1952, when she was 25 and he only 30, his career had to play second fiddle to hers.

In June 1952, he was promoted to Commander but he knew his naval future was now honorary rather than active.

Nevertheless, he has kept his affection for the Armed Forces alive through his official positions, chief among them Colonelship of The Rifles (and he maintains another 16 honorary positions in the Armed Forces).

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/ce/e6/33/cee6330c69047d8c9c37faf38b30fe38.jpg

He has been associated with the regiment for 67 years, since 1953, the year of the Coronation, when he became Colonel-in-Chief of The Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh’s), forerunner of The Rifles.

On Wednesday, you could see how devoted he was to the role by the attentive way he talked to all four buglers from the Band and Bugles of The Rifles.

An infantry regiment, The Rifles was only formed in 2007 but it is the result of amalgamations of some of the most distinguished regiments in the British Army’s history: the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment; the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment; the Royal Green Jackets, the Light Infantry; the Rifle Volunteers; and the Royal Rifle Volunteers.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/ec/16/30/ec163031962e96481495881b72bb5c95.jpg
the Duke of Edinburgh revealed his decision to retire.

As a result of these complex origins, The Rifles are now the county regiment of no less than 13 counties, including Berkshire, home to Windsor Castle. Look at the battle honours on the regiment’s belt badge and you’re looking at the history of the British Army.

The Rifles, in all its previous incarnations, has fought everywhere from Gibraltar in 1779 to the Battle of Waterloo, Ypres, the Somme, El Alamein, Anzio, Pegasus Bridge in Normandy and Korea and, in recent years, Iraq and Afghanistan.

So, on Wednesday, a distinguished veteran, who has served his country and its Armed Forces for 81 years, was saying a sad farewell to a regiment that, in all its guises, has itself served Britain for nearly 250 years. It is an unparalleled record in history and is unlikely ever to be matched again.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/74/b9/bb/74b9bb1fbd9083314149b9c1c494496c.jpg
We salute you, Prince Philip, as you have saluted so many soldiers, sailors and airmen in your extraordinary life and career.

Style
I Clean Out My Closet Twice a Month, But I Never Get Rid of These 8 Things

I’ve always been big on cleaning out my closet and decluttering my space in general, but as we recently discussed, I’ve been on even more of a kick lately due to the extensive amount of time I’ve been spending at home. However, sharing some of the items we have purged from our wardrobes actually got me thinking about those pieces which I rarely, if ever, give the boot—and why.

I didn’t notice it at first, but once I made a list, it became painfully clear that among the eight categories you’re about to read about below, there’s actually one common theme: They always come back (or never go out of style in the first place). That's right. While items such as belts and eveningwear may seem more or less relevant over time, when you do need them, the versions you already own should typically do the trick. In other words, they're less susceptible to the trend cycle and don't need to be replaced as often, so rather than selling them and having to buy them again later, just keep the styles you own. To read about and shop all the categories that made the cut, just keep scrolling.

1. Designer Bags

If the recent returns of Fendi’s baguette, Dior’s saddle, and Prada’s nylon shoulder bags taught us anything it’s that holding on to a designer bag from five, 10, or even 15 years ago will save you a lot of money (and regret) when the brand reissues it, and it’s suddenly cool again.

2. Belts

Belts are pretty much always considered a basic wardrobe necessity, but they have a funny way of becoming more or less relevant with each passing season. When they do come back into the spotlight, however, I’ve found that it’s not the belts themselves that have changed, but rather the way they’re worn or what they’re worn with.

3. Eveningwear

Now, I’m not talking about one-off bridesmaids dresses, but if you’ve ever invested in classic gowns or evening accessories such as heels and clutches, odds are they aren’t going out of style any time soon (and possibly weren’t cheap). Hold on to them instead of scrambling to shop for future events. You’ll be happy you did.

4. Classic Jewelry

Whether it was an investment or affordable find, a classic jewelry piece is simply that—classic. I never get rid of such pieces (which include rings, delicate bracelets, and chain necklaces) because while I might go extended periods without wearing them, they always seem to find a way back into my rotation eventually.

5. Timeless Outerwear

I've definitely bought my fair share of trendy coats and jackets over the years—most of which I've ended up selling or donating—but when I find a good, timeless item such as a blazer, trench, or leather piece, I like to hold on to it. They're often much more expensive to replace than whatever you could sell them for, and a polished coat is always a safe way to save an outfit.

6. Sweaters

High-quality, simple sweaters can be expensive, but if you take care of them, they can also last you years and are likely to still feel forward-looking. For this reason, I have a handful of cashmere and wool styles that I’ve been wearing for five-plus years and don’t plan to get rid of any time soon.

7. Slips and Camis

Whether you wear them on their own or as under-layers, silky slip dresses, skirts, and camis are essential for any wardrobe and have been for decades. Perhaps that’s why a slip dress you could buy today looks a lot like the ones in some of our favorite ’90s fashion snaps, and it’s also the reason you never need to get rid of the ones you already own.

8. Scarves

If someone asked me what a trendy scarf looks like, I don’t think I’d be able to answer them because I don’t think such a thing exists. Whether they’re silky or for cold weather, the world of scarves remains relatively unchanged over the years, so the ones you own should be able to stick with you for the long haul.

Will Prince Charles Retire While His Mother Is Still Queen?
Camilla Makes Rare Comment About Their Long-Term Plans

http://forumupload.ru/uploads/0012/8d/0b/33/t39580.jpg
Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles

It was just your average (socially distanced) royal engagement when Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles stepped out at the Bristol Distribution Centre to thank some of the 700 workers there for their efforts to keep food supplies moving during the COVID-19 pandemic. But, as it turns out, that’s not all that was discussed in conversations between the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and various staffers on site.

Per Hello magazine, Charles and Camilla chatted with Richard Sigward, a warehouse operator who has worked for the ASDA supermarket chain for 17 years and—at age 74—still has no plans to retire.

Apparently, this rung familiar for the royal pair, and Camilla, in particular, was quick to agree with his mindset. Steward says: “The Duchess was saying to me she definitely agrees that if people can work and are happy to do it, they should carry on.”

But that’s not all: “She said she refuses to retire herself. The prince was the same,” Steward added.

Whoa, that’s a pretty major revelation, which if true, confirms that Prince Charles—who’s 71 and next in line to the throne after his mother Queen Elizabeth—has no plans to abdicate the throne and let his son Prince William take the lead ahead of schedule. Better yet, his wife Camilla is on the same page.

John Cleese in conversation with Eric Idle at Live Talks Los Angeles

_____

Style

Joan MacDonald is a 73-year-old fitness fanatic, but she didn’t begin her health journey until 2017.

At the time, MacDonald was on medication for high blood pressure and acid reflux. She suffered from edema, painful arthritis, fatigue and had trouble walking down the stairs. That’s when her daughter Michelle had a heart-to-heart with MacDonald and the 70-year decided it was time to workout and make healthier choices.

Three years later, MacDonald looks completely different. But for MacDonald, it wasn’t about becoming an idealized version of herself so much as it was about learning to love who she is in the moment.

In April, she posted before and after photos to show her progress. On the left, she looks tired and unenthusiastic about working out. But on the right, MacDonald proudly flexes her biceps in a pink top and leggings. She’s clearly loving life.

Let’s talk about gym style, something I never would have considered to be important even just two years ago...
When I first started out on my transformation journey, I hated trying on clothes, and in fact most of my clothes barely fit me any more so I had just a few bottoms and tops to choose from. Baggy shorts and over-sized t-shirts in boring colors were my go-to. I didn’t love myself back then and that’s how I dressed myself. I used to think 1) I didn’t deserve beautiful clothes and 2) nothing nice would fit me anyway, especially at my age.
It wasn’t until my daughter insisted that I buy some new workout clothes and took me shopping at @forever21 that I understood that that mindset wasn’t working for me. When I saw myself in flattering clothes in cute colors, I could see that my inner dialogue had to go. I actually had muscles! I actually had a good shape taking form! I felt so good inside to see that in those new clothes. 💛Even though it might seem like something superficial like clothing can’t have a big impact on how we see ourselves it absolutely can my dears! If I can learn that lesson in my seventies you can too. Now you won’t catch me heading to the gym (or my living room as the case may be 😅) without taking the time to chose a favorite outfit. My daughter tells her clients, “you have to invest the same love and compassion for yourself at the START of your transformation that would to your own daughter if she was in your shoes. You would encourage her, compliment her on her successes no matter how small, and you would treat her to some workout clothes that were flattering, wouldn’t you? So learn to do that for yourself, and replace that negative inner dialogue with a positive one”. Now I’m sharing this with you. 💕
Please don’t wait til you’re “perfect” to take pride in yourself. You have to already see your perfection, your effort and your courage today.
Love yourself enough to change, and show yourself that love daily.
On the right I’m wearing one of my favorite outfits by @womensbest .
If you have any questions please ask below, and share your favorite gym-wear brands with each other!
With Love
Joan 💗

Neck gaiters may actually increase COVID-19 transmission, study finds

The U.S. hit another grim milestone on Monday with more than 5 million Americans now infected with the coronavirus. Although there is a push to increase testing and develop a vaccine, experts continue to suggest that if all Americans wore masks, the pandemic could be brought under control “within weeks.” In the spirit of that mission, a new study published in Science Advances is shedding light on which masks are most effective — and which may actually be hurting the effort to curb COVID-19.

The analysis, carried out by researchers at Duke University School of Medicine, relied on an “optimal measurement method” that uses a laser beam and cellphone camera to track the number of droplets that emerged from an individual while he or she wore a mask. Of the 14 masks, the two that proved least effective were a bandanna and what the researchers refer to as a neck fleece, also known as a neck gaiter.

The most secure mask, the N95, led to a droplet transmission of below 0.1 percent. But handmade cotton and polypropylene masks, some of which were made from apron material, proved beneficial, showing a droplet transmission ranging from 10 to 40 percent. One mask, which was knitted, released a higher number of droplets, with up to 60 percent droplet transmission. But none of the masks compared with the neck fleece, which had 110 percent droplet transmission (10 percent higher than not wearing a mask).

The researchers explain how these masks may actually spread more of the virus than not wearing one at all. “We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets ... which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case,” they write. These small droplets could prove extremely dangerous in terms of transmission. “Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive,” they add.

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, says the study is an important one for Americans to consider. “People really don’t understand that not all face coverings are equal, and that there are some that are going to be more or less effective,” says Adalja. “And I think that when you’re making these decisions, it’s important to have data behind them.”

Given the rate of droplet transmission from neck fleeces and bandannas, he suggests that Americans move away from both coverings immediately. “I do think they should be abandoned, especially given that gaiters were shown to increase transmission,” says Adalja. “Not every mask is going to be equivalent. ... I think that many people are just wearing these face coverings to check a box and not realizing that in order to serve a purpose they need to be effective.”

For those who are still confused about why masks are necessary, he notes that asymptomatic spread is one of the most important factors to keep in mind. “There are many people out there that don’t know that they’re infected, and the face coverings are one way to give people the assurance that there is some source control going on,” says Adalja. “If everybody knew their status, that would be a different story, but the fact of the matter is most people don’t know whether they’re infected or not.”

Better testing, Adalja adds, would potentially lessen the need for masks. But until then, they’re vitally important to stopping the pandemic. “If we have rapid tests that we can know the minute we step outside whether we’re infected or not, that's one thing, but we’re not anywhere near that,” says Adalja. “So for now, this is the measure we’re left with.”

Will America Let COVID-19 Become The Next HIV?

COVID-19 is settling into the cracks of American inequality.

Over the last two months, coronavirus cases have surged in the most marginalized neighborhoods of the poorest states. Latinx people account for 18% of the population but 33% of infections. Black Americans are nearly twice as likely to die and three times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19. Prisoners, farmworkers and meatpackers — all of whom are disproportionately likely to be poor and minorities — have the highest infection rates.

For many epidemiologists, this pattern has a tragic precursor: HIV.

Before the development of antiretroviral therapy, the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS was concentrated in cities, ravaging gay men and drug users from a relatively wide range of races and incomes. Since the late 1990s, however, AIDS has become a disease that almost exclusively affects the rural poor and people of color.

As of 2018, people of color accounted for 69% of new HIV infections. Black and Latinx Americans are 550% and 80% more likely, respectively, to die of AIDS than whites. The cities with the highest rates of new HIV infections in 2016 included Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Jackson, Mississippi; and Memphis, Tennessee. In 2018, San Francisco had roughly half as many new HIV infections as New Orleans despite having twice as many residents.

“If you put a map of the HIV epidemic over a map of the worst coronavirus hotspots, they look almost identical,” said Jared Baeten, the vice dean of the University of Washington’s School of Public Health and an HIV epidemiologist for more than a decade. “COVID is becoming just another disease that travels along the fault lines of the disparities in our society.”

America’s policies are almost entirely responsible for HIV falling into these fault lines. As epidemiologists look toward likely scenarios for the future of the coronavirus, they are already seeing the same decisions — and the same outcomes — on the horizon.

“A lot of HIV researchers are exasperated,” said Greg Millett, the vice president and director of public policy for amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research. “We’re old enough to have lived through the HIV response, and we’re watching the same mistakes taking place with COVID.”

American Health Care Is Failing To Treat HIV

In the early days of the AIDS epidemic, researchers saw the virus as a problem of individual behavior, said Steffanie Strathdee, an epidemiologist at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine and author of “The Perfect Predator.” Men who had sex with men, went the conventional wisdom, refused to wear condoms, and drug users refused to use clean needles.

Over time, however, social scientists discovered that these behaviors were the product of larger economic and social forces. Many gay and bisexual men didn’t have access to HIV testing and went years without knowing their status. Many drug users couldn’t afford clean needles or lacked safe places to shoot up. Police harassment drove sex workers deeper into the shadows.

“You can’t just tell people to reduce their risks,” Strathdee said. “You have to change the conditions that put them at risk.”

But despite epidemiologists’ recommendations to adopt a harm-reduction approach, American politicians have refused to change the broader social conditions that increase HIV risk — and it shows. In 2018, the United States had 15,820 HIV-related deaths, 10 times more than Britain, Germany and France combined. The entire European Union, with a population one-third larger than the United States, had just 2,900 AIDS deaths.

This disparity arises from the same inequalities that are now appearing as important vectors for COVID-19. The average person with HIV waits three years before getting diagnosed, a delay primarily due to a lack of access to health care. After diagnosis, many patients delay getting antiretroviral treatment because of the astronomical cost. Even after starting treatment, many patients stop because they lose health insurance or are too far from a clinic to make it to regular checkups.

These barriers have created a medical system that leaves an alarming percentage of patients without care. In much of Western Europe, over 95% of HIV-positive adults have a suppressed viral load, meaning that they can expect to have a lifespan roughly the same as the general population. In the United States, the rate is just 53%.

And this shortfall has nothing to do with a lack of treatment options. Effective antiretroviral medications have been available since the mid-1990s. Pre-exposure prophylaxis, a pill that prevents HIV infection if taken regularly, has been on the market since 2012. But many Americans don’t have access to those treatments.

“It’s the nature of our society,” Baeten said. “As soon as a disease goes from being a biological problem to a human problem, that’s when you start to see the disparities.”
After shelter residents tested positive for COVID-19 in Las Vegas, the city moved its homeless population to parking lots. (Photo: Damairs Carter/MediaPunch/IPx)

Should you send your child back to school? Here's how to weigh the coronavirus risks

Like so many things in the “new normal” of the coronavirus era, the usual late-summer rush for back-to-school supplies is being replaced with weightier considerations: Should I even send my child back to school at all?   

Many schools in the U.S. are offering parents and guardians a choice between in-person learning, remote learning and a hybrid of the two. And though parents struggled in the spring with the responsibilities of overseeing remote learning from home, the prospect of sending their child back to school in the middle of a pandemic can also be daunting — especially as schools that have reopened are already seeing students and staff members test positive for the virus.   

“It is important to consider the full spectrum of risks involved in both in-person and virtual learning options,” the CDC says. “Parents, guardians, and caregivers should weigh the relative health risks of COVID-19 transmission from in-personal instruction against the educational, social-behavioral, and emotional risks of providing no in-person instruction when deciding between these two options.”

But although the CDC has published a “decision-making tool” to help caregivers weigh whether to send children to school for in-person learning, in practice many parents as well as local leaders are still grappling with the question.   

“It’s a tough thing to balance, because it becomes a judgment call,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, at a coronavirus briefing on Monday. “The default position should always be to try and get the kids in school … but their safety, their health, their welfare trumps everything.

“And it’s an individual, state-by-state, location-by-location determination,” Fauci added.

“In reality, nobody’s going to be able to tell you what to do with your family,” says Yahoo News medical contributor Dr. Dara Kass. “You need to make the decision based on who lives in your house, what the risk factors to your children are, how the virus is spread in your community and what access you have to testing.”

One of the metrics the CDC advises parents to take into consideration is the infection rate in their community. Though data about the virus in children is limited, the CDC says children are believed to be less likely to get COVID-19 than adults, and when they do get it they generally have less serious illness. But children are not immune. According to the CDC, as of July 21, 6.6 percent of reported COVID-19 cases — but less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths — in the U.S. were among children and adolescents younger than 18. In Florida, where the virus is still ravaging communities, hospitals have seen a 23 percent increase in child COVID-19 hospitalizations in just eight days, according to CNN.

“If the positive test rate in your community is higher than 5 percent, that means that more than five out of every 100 tests that are being done are positive. That is a higher test than most educators, administrators and public health officials believe is safe for children to go to school,” Kass says. 

Kass says the other number you’ll need to keep in mind is how long it takes to get test results in your area. If your child is sent home from school with coronavirus-like symptoms — such as a cough, fever or shortness of breath — you may be expected to keep your child at home for the 14 days recommended for anyone exposed to the coronavirus, unless you can present a negative test result. Other children and school staff who may have been exposed to your child may also need to be tested. And months into the pandemic, many communities in the U.S. are still experiencing long delays in getting their test results.     

“You need to know quickly so they don’t stay home for a week or 10 days just waiting for a negative test,” Kass says. “If testing in your community takes greater than 10 days, it is probably not a good idea to send your children to school.”

You’ll also need to consider whether your child or someone in your family has a condition that puts them at high risk of complications from the coronavirus. Former FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC that children in the U.S. are more likely than children in other countries to have underlying conditions that place them at increased risk of severe illness. And despite President Trump’s recent claim that children “don’t catch it easily, they don’t bring it home easily,” a new study from South Korea found that children between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the virus at least as well as adults do.     

“If your child had a genetic disease, a heart disease, a lung disease, maybe had a transplant, you would probably consider doing virtual schooling until we have this virus more under control,” Kass says. “We also know that children don’t live by themselves. A lot of times they live with parents or even grandparents who may be at risk for complications from the coronavirus. And even if those children don’t get sick themselves, if they can get the virus and bring it home, sometimes it ends up sending Grandma to the hospital.”

And though many have rallied around wearing or rejecting masks as some kind of political statement, Kass says your child’s ability to attend school in person may hinge on whether they can handle wearing one all day; health experts say the evidence is clear that masks can help stem the spread of COVID-19.   

“It doesn’t mean that every school is going to require masking for the entire day, but it does mean that parents need to start getting their kids comfortable with wearing a mask and sitting in a mask while learning,” Kass says. “If your child is not comfortable wearing a mask, or if they take it off randomly … remember that they could put themselves and other children at risk.”

The CDC has also published a list of guidelines for schools to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus, including adequate ventilation and the installation of physical barriers like sneeze guards in areas where social distancing isn’t possible. But implementation is optional and will likely vary by state and district. Kass recommends that parents and caregivers familiarize themselves with their school’s reopening plan and make sure they’re comfortable with it.   

“We’re not going to be able to tell you everything to look out for,” Kass says. “What we need to know is, are you comfortable with your school’s plan? Do you know who to ask if you have a question? Is there a way to get your child tested if they’re sent home, and where do those results go? These are all questions you’re going to have to ask of your principal, your PTA president or somebody who’s representing your school or the district before you decide whether or not to send your child to in-person school this fall.”

The CDC has stressed the importance of “reopening America’s schools this fall,” citing the benefits of in-person learning, such as social and emotional skill development and school nutrition programs, noting that low-income and minority children are disproportionately harmed by school closures. But while in-person learning is undoubtedly essential under normal circumstances, given the current situation, many parents aren’t so sure. According to a recent poll from the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs, only about 1 in 10 Americans think daycare centers, preschools or K-12 schools should open without restrictions, and 31 percent of Americans think there should be no in-person instruction at all this fall. 

“We all know that school is more than just a place you get educated,” Kass says. “It’s a place where children are supported; it’s a place where they meet their peers. There’s a lot of mental, psychological, social support that happens at schools.” But she also emphasizes the need for patience and flexibility this school year — from parents and educators as well as employers. 

“We might send our kids to in-person school and find out that the virus is out of control or it’s just not safe and be homeschooling again. We might start out homeschooling and then find out that we can send our kids back to school. Childcare from school is not going to be reliable. And it’s important that our employers recognize that as well. We have to be considerate of each other. We have to lead with humanity.”

‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Sequel ‘Death on the Nile’ Gets Star-Studded First Trailer

Kenneth Branagh’s “Death on the Nile,” a follow-up to 2017’s hit “Murder on the Orient Express,” released its first trailer — and everyone’s a suspect.

The murder mystery, based on the Agatha Christie novel, picks up with Branagh reprising his role as Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. This time, he’s vacationing aboard a luxurious river cruise when a couple’s honeymoon is suddenly cut short.

We Finally Know Who Was Really Running Meghan Markle & Prince Harry’s Royal Instagram Account

Looks like Meghan Markle didn’t stop using her writing skills when she said goodbye to her lifestyle blog, The Tig. In fact, the Duchess of Sussex apparently drafted many of the Instagram posts for her and Prince Harry’s combined account, SussexRoyal, according to a new biography.

Called Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family, the book features never-before-heard stories about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, including the inner workings of the couple’s social media accounts. (Of course, it’s important to note that neither the duke nor the duchess weighed in on the tell-all book.)

Per the biography, when the Sussexes separated their household from that of Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Suits alum took it upon herself to remain personally active on all the SussexRoyal platforms as a way to have herself heard.

“Launching the account was a somewhat liberating experience for Meghan,” an aide told the book’s authors, according to Town & Country. “Not having a platform of her own to talk directly to the public was one of the toughest changes for her, especially after building so much of her own brand on Instagram and her blog. @SussexRoyal meant that she finally had a place to curate.”

“Meghan drafted a lot of the posts herself in the early days," the book continues. “It was one of the things that kept her occupied during her final days of pregnancy.” We totally called it.

This kind of social media involvement is rare for senior members of the royal family and only happens on major occasions—something the Duke of Cambridge revealed when trying to gain access to the Kensington Royal Twitter account.

Unfortunately, SussexRoyal had to be shut down after the couple chose to lead a life outside of the royal spotlight. Back in March, they wrote a sweet farewell message to their fans and followers.

“While you may not see us here, the work continues. Thank you to this community—for the support, the inspiration and the shared commitment to the good in the world,” their final caption read. “We look forward to reconnecting with you soon. You’ve been great!”

We bet Meghan wrote that one, too.

Who is Lady Louise Windsor? Meet the Queen's granddaughter who shares her passion for horse riding

Lady Louise Windsor is among the thousands of pupils getting their GCSE results this year, as the teenager considers her future.

Although she is one of the Queen’s granddaughters, Buckingham Palace said Lady Louise’s results were a private matter.

The royal overcame early difficulties in life and has followed in her grandmother’s footsteps with a passion for horse riding. She’s a regular fixture in Royal Family events, like Trooping the Colour and Christmas at Sandringham, where she is often seen alongside her parents, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and her brother, James, the Viscount Severn.
When was Lady Louise born?

Louise Windsor was born prematurely at Frimley Park hospital in Surrey on 8 November, 2003.

Her father Prince Edward was in Mauritius when she was born, as he had not expected pregnant Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, to give birth so soon.

Sophie had to have an emergency Caesarean because of placental abruption, and both mother and daughter lost blood.

Louise was transferred to St George’s Hospital, in Tooting, south London, but Sophie was kept in Frimley Park to recover.

The royal baby had a fortnight of hospital care before finally going home, to Bagshot Park, on 23 November.

Her name was announced another four days after that. Her full name is Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary Mountbatten-Windsor.

What is her title and is she in line to the throne?

As the granddaughter of the Queen, Louise is entitled to be known as Princess Louise.

Her cousins, Beatrice and Eugenie, are known as princesses.
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/2e/89/c8/2e89c8123beea804d37ac17d0f8c497f.jpg
Edward and Sophie

However, Edward and Sophie opted not to have Louise and her younger brother James styled as Her or His Royal Highness.

Instead, she has the styling of a daughter of an earl, which is why she is known as Lady Louise Windsor.

All of the Queen’s descendants are in line to inherit the throne. Louise is currently 13th in line.

https://n1s1.hsmedia.ru/89/93/af/8993af1f77a282c5aefca455c8f65f60/450x665_21_3e73892e74a91efc02f4cd465dd070ca@450x665_0xac120003_5954680061585651645.jpg
Софи и леди Луиза на конных соревнованиях

The Queen is moving out of Buckingham Palace

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/19/fb/32/19fb3258d3963a3b977e4b795a6e2595.jpg

Big changes are happening in the royal world, as it's been revealed that Queen Elizabeth won't return to Buckingham Palace as her royal residence "for the foreseeable future". BP has always been the Queen's primary residence, being a working palace where the monarch spends most of her time, but the decision has been made to make Windsor Castle her base until the coronavirus threat has passed.

As reported in The Times over the weekend, the Queen would usually return to Buckingham Palace in October following her summer holiday in Balmoral, Scotland. But this year, she'll be heading straight back to Windsor, where she and Prince Philip have been isolating along with a small bubble of staff since the pandemic unfolded back in March.

Queen Elizabeth will "continue working from Windsor and is understood to be keen on commuting into London for engagements and events at Buckingham Palace, if it is considered safe for her to do so," reads the report by royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah. As Her Majesty left Buckingham Palace in March this year, and likely won't return until next year at the earliest, it's believed to be the longest period in her 68-year reign that she's spent away from her primary residence.

The Queen isn't the only royal to have departed London following the grip of the pandemic; Prince Charles and Camilla have been residing up in Scotland, where the heir to the throne remained while he was ill with the virus himself. Prince William and Kate Middleton, meanwhile, retreated to their Norfolk home Anmer Hall, where they have been home-schooling Prince George and Princess Charlotte. Both couples are expected to return to their London residences in the not-too-distant future, however.

But for the time being, it looks like Queen Elizabeth will be staying put in Windsor Castle, where she's been riding horses and dialling into video calls at her leisure. Dream set-up.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c2/45/74/c24574bfc548becffbe0d0260fbc3897.jpg

Meghan Markle just wore the ultimate late-summer uniform—here's how to get her look

Izabella Zaydenberg
August 27, 2020, 2:08 AM

Yahoo Lifestyle is committed to finding you the best products at the best prices. We may receive a share from purchases made via links on this page. Pricing and availability is subject to change.

Ever since Meghan Markle and her family moved stateside earlier this year, her summer style has been a study in California cool. From breezy linen dresses to crisp white button-downs and beige shorts, her outfits bridge the gap between casual and polished—and her latest look is an example of precisely that.

In a MAKERS video released today, Markle and feminist icon Gloria Steinem sat down to discuss the importance of voting, representation and feminism. MAKERS, a media brand that shines a light on the experiences and work of influential women, features the largest video collection of women's profiles ever assembled. Markle also wrote about her conversation with Steinem, who she considers a friend.

Joined by her dogs Pula and Guy, the Duchess of Sussex wore a pair of striped trousers by Anine Bing and Rhea strappy sandals by one of her go-to brands, Stella McCartney.

While the sandals are sold out in the black shade Markle chose, they’re still available in brown — and they’re on sale, too! Made of buttery faux leather and boasting a slim cone heel, they expertly exude a laid-back elegance. The tapered heel and criss-cross strap lend a retro vibe, though the tie at the ankle is decidedly modern. They’re easy to adjust for your ankle width, too, so you can make them as tight or as loose as you need to.

Ron DeSantis sidelined his health department. Florida paid the price.

Alexander Nazaryan·National Correspondent
August 29, 2020

Things were looking pretty good in Florida on April 13, when Gov. Ron DeSantis and state officials held a press briefing in Tallahassee. A reluctant DeSantis had issued a lockdown two weeks before, but coronavirus infections were low, and he was eager to open the state back up again. In his presentation, the governor went through a number of slides, making over and over again the argument that Florida was doing well.

As he usually did, DeSantis made sure to point out that his state was definitely doing better than New York, which had been dealt a crushing blow by the pandemic. Thousands had died there. Only hundreds had died in Florida.

Sitting at the podium several feet from DeSantis was Scott Rivkees, who is both the state’s surgeon general and its health commissioner. Near the end of the meeting, Rivkees spoke up to offer a note of caution, telling Floridians that until a vaccine can be made available, they would have to continue adhering to social distancing guidelines, which both President Trump and DeSantis had consistently downplayed.

“As long as we are going to have COVID in the environment — and it is a tough virus — we are going to have to practice these measures so that we are all protected,” Rivkees said. There was nothing remotely controversial in this assertion. Yet it would prove the surgeon general’s undoing.

The governor’s communications director, Helen Aguirre Ferré, approached Rivkees at the podium and whispered into his ear. After she left, he remained seated but seemed confused. Ferré came up to him again, and this time the confusion was dispelled. Rivkees rose and left the briefing room.

About five minutes later, the briefing ended.

Had he simply been allowed to sit through the rest of the briefing, what Rivkees said would have attracted little notice, since his words of caution were anodyne in the extreme. Instead, Ferré made him an unlikely martyr for science by confirming what many suspected: The governor in Tallahassee was as reluctant to confront the pandemic’s messy reality as his counterpart and ally in the White House.

Yahoo News
Ron DeSantis sidelined his health department. Florida paid the price.
Alexander Nazaryan
Alexander Nazaryan·National Correspondent
August 29, 2020, 12:00 PM GMT+3

Things were looking pretty good in Florida on April 13, when Gov. Ron DeSantis and state officials held a press briefing in Tallahassee. A reluctant DeSantis had issued a lockdown two weeks before, but coronavirus infections were low, and he was eager to open the state back up again. In his presentation, the governor went through a number of slides, making over and over again the argument that Florida was doing well.

As he usually did, DeSantis made sure to point out that his state was definitely doing better than New York, which had been dealt a crushing blow by the pandemic. Thousands had died there. Only hundreds had died in Florida.

Sitting at the podium several feet from DeSantis was Scott Rivkees, who is both the state’s surgeon general and its health commissioner. Near the end of the meeting, Rivkees spoke up to offer a note of caution, telling Floridians that until a vaccine can be made available, they would have to continue adhering to social distancing guidelines, which both President Trump and DeSantis had consistently downplayed.

“As long as we are going to have COVID in the environment — and it is a tough virus — we are going to have to practice these measures so that we are all protected,” Rivkees said. There was nothing remotely controversial in this assertion. Yet it would prove the surgeon general’s undoing.

The governor’s communications director, Helen Aguirre Ferré, approached Rivkees at the podium and whispered into his ear. After she left, he remained seated but seemed confused. Ferré came up to him again, and this time the confusion was dispelled. Rivkees rose and left the briefing room.

About five minutes later, the briefing ended.
Dr. Scott Rivkees is pulled out of a coronavirus briefing on April 13. (Fox10 News)
Dr. Scott Rivkees is pulled out of a coronavirus briefing on April 13. (Fox10 News)

Had he simply been allowed to sit through the rest of the briefing, what Rivkees said would have attracted little notice, since his words of caution were anodyne in the extreme. Instead, Ferré made him an unlikely martyr for science by confirming what many suspected: The governor in Tallahassee was as reluctant to confront the pandemic’s messy reality as his counterpart and ally in the White House.

In response to subsequent questioning from Politico, Ferré said Rivkees had a meeting with deputy chief of staff Adrian Lukis. The two men did, in fact, meet that day, several hours before the coronavirus briefing. They had not been scheduled to meet again.

Rivkees’s removal from the briefing was symbolic of DeSantis’s approach to the pandemic: Downers are not allowed. Skeptics have no say. On the federal level, Trump has largely sidelined the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which would customarily guide the nation’s pandemic response. Following the president’s lead, DeSantis has done exactly the same with the Florida Department of Health, largely dismissing the agency as a potential ally, deciding instead to go it alone.

The department “has been MIA for months,” says state Rep. Anna Eskamani, an Orlando-area Democrat who has emerged as a leading progressive voice and a potential gubernatorial challenger to DeSantis in 2022. “Not only are they non-present or in touch with lawmakers,” Eskamani says, “they seem to be doing more harm than good.” She cites recent reports that the department refused to allow school districts across the state to receive exemptions from holding in-person classes.

DeSantis, who has closely echoed Trump’s own calls for schools to return to normal, defended the withholding of such exemptions, even for districts that were continuing to see high infection rates. “It’s not up to the health department to say a ‘yes’ or a ‘no,’” he said.

Rivkees, who did not respond to multiple requests for comment, appears to have ceded control to political appointees. The state’s top health official lost all influence after the April 13 briefing, says Rebekah Jones, a geographer who managed Florida’s coronavirus dashboard and whose firing in early May represented a scandal of its own. “It wasn’t a slow disappearance,” she told Yahoo News. “Right after that press conference,” she said, “he wasn’t in the picture.”

Others say he has been exasperated by political battles with the governor’s office. "We don't do anything unless the governor's office is involved," one current employee at the health department told Yahoo News. Rivkees, that employee said, has grown to dislike DeSantis. “He's got handcuffs.”

The result has been an unmitigated disaster, with Florida now home to more than half a million coronavirus cases and 10,000 COVID-19 deaths. And yet DeSantis continues to chart his own mystifying course, musing about how reopening schools is tantamount to killing Osama bin Laden.

At a recent visit to a Jacksonville nursing home, DeSantis told visitors to quite literally embrace their loved ones. “Hell, hug ’em,” he urged. “I think that you could do that,” he said, as long as people wore face masks — and didn’t sneeze. As he spoke, a poster urging social distancing loomed over his left shoulder. Not a single health department official contradicted him, because not a single health department official was there.

On Saturday, Feb. 29, a patient at a Sarasota hospital became Florida’s first confirmed coronavirus cases. Only nobody knew, because neither DeSantis nor Rivkees said a word. The following morning, a reporter for the Tampa Bay ABC affiliate called Sarasota County health officials, asking about the case. The reporter was told it was a hoax. State health department officials waited another 12 hours to confirm to that reporter that the news was, in fact, true.

The next morning, Rivkees spoke at a press conference with DeSantis, acknowledging that he and others had known for some 36 hours about the Sarasota case without telling anyone (there was another case in Hillsborough County, that of a woman who had travelled to Italy; it was also kept secret). Well-coiffed and in his 60s, Rivkees spoke calmly, even as reporters shouted questions about why the public had not been informed earlier. He is much taller than DeSantis, and much more at ease before cameras. Standing behind him, DeSantis looked like the lesser official.

Public health experts have never been under more public scrutiny than during the coronavirus pandemic. On the national level, Dr. Anthony Fauci has been widely celebrated for standing up to purveyors of misinformation, including President Trump. Others, like Dr. Mitchell Katz of New York City’s public hospital agency (a much closer adviser to the city’s mayor than his counterpart in the health department), have received harsh and justified criticism. In one of the pandemic’s more notorious misjudgments, Katz told the mayor that there was “no proof” that closures were effective and that broad immunity to the new virus would soon develop.

The mere fact that Rivkees was leading Florida’s coronavirus response was surprising and, in itself, a testament to DeSantis’s inattentive administration of the state bureaucracy. Just finding a state commissioner and health secretary proved a challenge for the 41-year-old governor, who had not been involved in state government before running for Florida’s highest office. After several months, DeSantis finally settled on Rivkees, a prominent physician at the University of Florida.

DeSantis claimed that the selection took so long because he had been performing “due diligence.” What that due diligence involved was unclear, but his appointment quickly led to details of Rivkees’s sometimes disconcerting professional history to resurface.

There were, for one, concerns about his temperament, with former colleagues describing him to the Tampa Bay Times as “hot-headed” and vindictive, more concerned with the business of medicine than medicine itself and unpleasant to work with.
Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees on May 6. (David Santiago/Miami Herald/TNS via Getty Images)

More troubling were allegations of sexually inappropriate behavior. Rivkees had been investigated by the University of Florida, where he arrived from Yale in 2012, for making sexually inappropriate comments. “If we can’t agree on this we’ll have to get naked in a hot tub and work it out,” he was reportedly fond of telling students. At a social gathering, he approached veterinary students and told them he and they “had something in common,” namely that “neither one of us can have sex with our patients.” (Rivkees is a pediatrician.)

The University of Florida also investigated Rivkees for potential conflicts of interest having to do with his consulting work in the private sector. In addition, he falsely claimed to have addressed the Nobel Committee for Physiology or Medicine.

Then there was his memoir of working as a resident at Massachusetts General Hospital. Published in 2014 and generally well reviewed, “Resident on Call” is rife with stories of doctors behaving badly, stealing drugs and having sex in the hospital. Rivkees’s own participation in the hospital’s fraternity-house-basement atmosphere appears to have been confined, in his telling, to a few romantic encounters, such as sneaking away to an older wing of the hospital for trysts with “a girl from New Jersey who flew in to help make my nights pass more quickly.”

DeSantis defended his choice of Rivkees, downplaying the University of Florida allegations by claiming that the nominee had been “dinged for making a comment or two.” He was so eager to have Rivkees join his administration that he allowed him to keep devoting 20 percent of his time to his work at the university.

A spokesperson for the University of Florida told Yahoo News that that arrangement remains in effect to this day.

Internet furious at Marie Claire article about Meghan Markle gray hair
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/11/b4/27/11b4274dda1af1dc4f67d99ab947a453.jpg
Photo by Pool/Samir Hussein on Getty Images

· · · Marie Claire published an article titled: 'Meghan Markle Has a Single Gray Hair' and people are absolutely furious that the magazine would allow the story and are bashing the publication.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Montecito Neighbors Are "Super Annoyed"
Mehera Bonner
August 31, 2020,

Cosmopolitan
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Montecito Neighbors Are "Super Annoyed"
Mehera Bonner
August 31, 2020, 2:37 PM GMT+3

From Cosmopolitan

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's neighbors in Montecito are apparently "super annoyed" by all the helicopters and paps.

The royal couple recently moved to the celeb-loved area after a stint in Los Angeles.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry recently moved from Los Angeles to the Santa Barbara area, and apparently their neighbors are not feeling the extra attention that comes with having royalty living next door.

According to TMZ, residents in Montecito (a small and very fancy town outside Santa Barbara) aren't thrilled by the influx of paparazzi, helicopters, and tourists in the region. The royal couple hasn't even been seen in public yet, but their "mere presence is driving folks wild" thanks to helicopters circling around the neighborhood they live in up to four times a day, and paparazzi lurking in public areas.

As TMZ writes "most locals" are "super annoyed" and "tell us they want the paps to give it a rest, because they feel things are getting to the point where everyone's privacy is being compromised."

I mean...this is probably more annoying for Meghan and Harry than it is for their neighbors, and also it's hard to feel that bad for fancy people who can't handle a helicopter or two flying by. Like, either bring Meghan and Harry a welcome basket or leave them alone, good day sirs!

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/08/03/15/08031587fa1236c1cffb1cc009d36430.jpg

On 9 September
Queen Elizabeth II will surpass her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria's reign of 63 years and 216 days.

Spain's Royal Family Chaos: An Ex-King in Exile, Confusion, Coronavirus and More Alleged Corruption
Natalie Finn
September 1, 2020

Is there a royal family whose kingdom doesn't include a vast swath of scandal territory?

Adding to what had already been a long year for the Spanish royals, the dynasty's former monarch, Juan Carlos I, has turned up in the United Arab Emirates, his arrival in the Gulf principality confirmed by the BBC two weeks after he fled his own country under the cloud of a corruption probe.

There was speculation a couple of days after he left Spain that the 82-year-old was thought to be in either Portugal or the Dominican Republic, but a spokesperson said he had been in the UAE since Aug. 3 and "he remains there." He has also denied any wrongdoing and says he is available to talk to investigators if they wish to interview him.

The reigning king, meanwhile, stated that he respected his father's decision to leave.

Juan Carlos, who became king following the death of dictator Francisco Franco in 1975 and helped usher in the beleaguered country's new era of democracy, abdicated in June 2014, turning the reins of the House of Bourbon over to the youngest of his three children (and only son), Crown Prince Felipe, who now rules as King Felipe VI.

The abrupt announcement that morning caused the royal family's website to crash, coming as suddenly as it did, but the country also wasn't entirely shocked. Juan Carlos had been involved in his share of scandal, including a lavish, clandestine elephant-hunting trip to Botswana that he took in 2012, when Spain was years-deep in a financial crisis that The Atlantic referred to as a "grotesque recession."

Which brings the tally of royal families around the world that aren't cloaked in controversy to zero.
Princess Leonor, Princess of Asturias, King Felipe VI of Spain, Queen Letizia of Spain and Princess Sofia

"Today a younger generation deserves to take the front line, with new energies, resolute in undertaking with determination the transformations and reforms that this moment in time demands and to confront tomorrow's challenges with renewed intensity and dedication," Juan Carlos—whose rumor resume is so stacked it includes reports that he made a pass at Princess Diana when she and Prince Charles visited Majorca in 1986—said in his June 2014 abdication speech.

Not long after he stepped down a Belgian woman filed a paternity claim against Juan Carlos, alleging she was his daughter from a 1966 tryst with her mum, but the Spanish Supreme Court denied the suit in 2015.

Also the time, Felipe's older sister Princess Cristina, and her husband, former Olympic handball player Inaki Urdangarin, were under investigation (and would later go on trial) for alleged embezzlement, accused of funneling more than $7 million (at today's exchange rate) into their own accounts from a charity run by Urdangarin that staged sporting events.

All were missteps that contributed to increasing anti-royal sentiment, especially among left-wing groups who—though ruling political parties, including the Socialists, continue to support the monarchy—felt that the family was just another relic of a corrupt establishment.

Hence the transfer of power being considered a strategic political move, as well as an outwardly benevolent one for the good of Spain. Felipe, now 52, had a 66 percent approval rating at the time, to his father's 41 percent, according to Reuters.

The worldly Felipe went to high school in Canada and received a master's degree from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service in Washington, D.C. He made the hometown crowd proud as a member of the Spanish sailing team at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.

After amassing his own lively dating history, he married Queen Letizia (née Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, a former TV journalist who was also briefly married once before) in 2004. They have two daughters, 14-year-old Leonor, Princess of Asturias, and 13-year-old Infanta Sofía of Spain.

Despite his attractive family and relative youth, Felipe has struggled to maintain the level of popularity he had heading into his current position. As head of state and commander in chief of the armed forces as well as king, he looks all-powerful on paper, but like many other royals his role is more figurehead than policy-maker. Spain's monarch is looked to for guidance and leadership, though, and he can certainly still be blamed when things go wrong.
http://s9.uploads.ru/t/72Ora.jpg
King Felipe VI of Spain, Queen Letizia

Felipe, who in 2015 cut his own salary by almost 20 percent as the country continued to pull itself out of its recession, received a four-minute ovation after delivering his annual address marking the opening of Spain's new legislative session in February, in which he said that the opposing parties that have formed the current coalition government must come together, that "the time has come for words, for arguments and for reasoning, from a position of mutual respect."

A leader of the separatist Catalan Republican Left, however, called the monarchy "an anachronistic institution" and "an heir to Francoism."

So, this king's critics are many, too. And that was before the current crisis.

This past March, Felipe announced that he was renouncing any inheritance he might receive from his father and was terminating Juan Carlos' annual retirement allowance following reports that Juan Carlos is accused of using a Swiss bank account to squirrel away anywhere from $78 million to $100 million he received from Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz in 2008, three years before a Spanish consortium made the winning bid for a $5.5 billion high-speed rail project in Saudi Arabia. (King Abdullah died in 2015.)

Juan Carlos is also alleged to have tried to hide the money by transferring a large amount of it to a woman he was once romantically linked to, who is now being asked to cooperate with Spanish prosecutors.

In addition to an ongoing investigation in Switzerland, the Spanish Supreme Court opened an investigation into the former king in June.

Felipe and the Spanish royal household has denied knowing anything about Juan Carlos' alleged dirty dealings—a denial made all the more urgent because the father had reportedly listed his son as the beneficiary of his off-shore account, opened under the name of the Lucum Foundation, according to The Guardian.

The revelations prompted literal outcries from balconies around Madrid on March 18, the people unable to take to the streets due to what was then the recently imposed coronavirus lockdown. Protesters demanded that Juan Carlos immediately donate any money he'd received from the Saudis to Spain's sagging public health system.

A couple weeks later, 86-year-old Princess Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Parma, a distant cousin of Felipe's, became the world's first royal to die of COVID-19, at a hospital in Paris. A memorial service was held in Madrid on March 27 and a Catholic funeral took place in Paris on April 2.

Prince Albert II of Monaco and the U.K.'s Prince Charles also revealed positive coronavirus tests in March, but they made swift recoveries.

TV Shows That Have Resumed Production Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic

Back in April, reminiscent of then-Princess Elizabeth's BBC Radio address for children during World War II, her first-ever national broadcast, Leonor and Sofía recorded a message for their fellow kids in Spain, saying, "We want to say thank you to all the people who are helping out and looking after us in so many ways. You are all important. Thank you. We send you a hug with all our love."

On May 27, Felipe and his wife and daughters appeared in the garden of Zarzuela Palace for a moment of silence for Spain's COVID casualties. A tweet from the household (translated from the original Spanish) read, "Spain mourns for so many thousands of compatriots that we have lost in this pandemic. To all, together with their families, we owe our remembrance, our mourning and our affection."

In July, the family of four, all wearing masks, attended a memorial at the Cathedral Santa María la Real de la Almudena in Madrid for the 28,385 people who had died of the novel coronavirus. (The latest tally as of Sept. 1, according to the Spanish Ministry of Health, is 462,858 cases and 29,094 deaths.)

http://sa.uploads.ru/t/VIN82.jpg
King Juan Carlos I of Spain, Sofia

When Juan Carlos left Spain last month, his departure was officially announced in a letter to his son that was posted on the palace's website, in which he wrote that he was "guided by my conviction I can offer the best service to Spaniards, its institutions and to you as King" by leaving.

"It's a decision I am taking with deep feeling but with great serenity," he continued, as he "always wanted the best for Spain and for the Crown."

His wife of 58 years, Sofía, the former queen consort who was born Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark, is not with him. Despite a united front for the cameras and Sofía's long standing as one of the more popular royals in the country despite her husband's sinking popularity, the romantic part of their relationship is said to have ended years ago.

The reply to his father's announcement, published alongside Juan Carlos' letter, read, "His Majesty the King has conveyed to His Majesty King Juan Carlos his heartfelt respect and gratitude for his decision. The King wishes to emphasize the historical importance that his father's reign represents and the legacy of political and institutional work of service to Spain and to democracy. At the same time, he wants to reaffirm the principles and values on which those things are based, within the framework of our Constitution and the rest of the legal system."
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/3a/e1/37/3ae1373dcddbcdf6949e5875e1eae290.jpg
King Felipe VI of Spain, Princess Leonor, Princess Sofia

Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, a member of the Socialist Party, stated at a news conference last month following the ex-king's departure, "The government and I completely respect the decision of the royal palace to distance itself from the questionable and reprehensible conduct of a member of the royal family."

An online petition demanding a name change for King Juan Carlos University in Madrid charged that "corruption cases surrounding the Royal Family keep appearing, torpedoing the image of a monarchy that had been presented to us as 'wholesome' and 'humble.'" A park in the suburb of Pinto quickly moved to change its name and remove a statue of the tarnished former leader, Deputy Mayor Lola Rodriguez telling Reuters, "We considered [the park] should not carry a name that is allegedly associated with dishonesty and with corruption."

She added, "It is true that he has not been judged, but we believe that he is not going to be judged, so waiting for a trial to take place would have been a little absurd."

But the country's justice system has proved is not afraid to go after the big targets.

Regarding those embezzlement allegations mentioned earlier, in 2016 Princess Cristina became the first member of Spain's royal family to ever go on trial when she and Urdangarin (her husband of 23 years, fired from the Spanish royals' version of the Firm when her dad was still in charge), as well as a number of his business partners, were charged with a litany of financial crimes.

In February 2017, Cristina, who had maintained that she didn't know what her husband was up to, was found not guilty, but was fined more than $316,000 for corporate obligations related to their business holdings. She remains sixth in line to the throne, but has been cut off financially from the royal household and was stripped of her Duchess of Parma title.

Urdangarin, however, was convicted of fraud, document falsification, tax evasion and influence peddling and sentenced to six years and three months in prison—far less than prosecutors had sought, but not nothing. Under Spanish law he was allowed to choose where he served his sentence, and he chose Brieva, a women's prison that is said to have four cells reserved for male inmates.

After having his sentence reduced on appeal, Urdangarin began serving what was to be a five-year, 10-month stay at Brieva in June 2018. Last September he was allowed to leave for the first time, part of a two-day-a-week volunteer program at a center for intellectually disabled adults.

When their legal troubles began, he and Cristina had been living in Switzerland with their four children.

In leaving the country, it's possible that Juan Carlos hasn't forgotten his own words, having lost immunity from prosecution once he stepped down from the throne.

As the former king once said in his now frequently quoted Christmas address from 2011, the year prosecutors first started investigating his daughter's husband, Spanish law "is the same for everyone."

Вы здесь » "КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём! » Дом, семья и развлечения. » World News in English. Mashed: Vanity Fair.Celebrity.Lifestyle.Money..