"КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Listening and Reading in English

Сообщений 101 страница 120 из 204

Listening and Reading in English

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0948YHyV7ns/X5l8UI4vX-I/AAAAAAABHuo/azirwJs5xl8HCHVwaGZW5TuKw7PjGKXvQCLcBGAsYHQ/s636/titus2mentor.jpg

Our stories are like little audiobooks, and feature everything from romance, to sci-fi thrillers, to drama, and even detective/crime fiction. We sometimes even welcome special guests to our story, like Sherlock Holmes, everyone's favorite sleuth (or at least ours). Other popular genres are fantasy, comedy, satire, and tragedy. You can get Biographics. We even read some  narrative poetry sometimes!

We don't offer writing tips, but we feature a wide variety of legendary authors from around the world. Reading good literature is one of the best ways to improve your own writing skill.

We're not an English-language course, but our stories are helpful for grasping idioms and English writing styles.

+2

The Dangers of Skiing Off-Piste

=Spoiler написал(а):

https://p1.pxfuel.com/preview/919/422/458/winter-mountains-snow-alpine.jpg

For many experienced skiers, the thought of fresh untouched snow can be extremely tempting. But straying from designated slopes and routes can be extremely dangerous, and the number of off-piste accidents which require medical assistance is rising year-on-year.
It’s therefore essential to recognise the dangers of going off-piste and to question if that fresh run is really worth it.

Why off-piste skiing is dangerous

In European resorts, off-piste areas are considered to be those that are not within the piste markers – these areas are not patrolled or avalanche protected. In early 2018, the then French interior minister Gerard Collomb, warned those doing snow sports to “take the utmost caution” following a spate of fatalities where skiers and snowboarders went off-piste.
Steep slopes also carry a higher risk of avalanches, as do the windward sides of a hill where snow has been blown from one side of the mountain to the other. As it is not compact, this snow carries an increased avalanche risk.
Off-piste slopes are not maintained by snow ploughs, making visibility of rocks and cliff edges more difficult.
It is impossible to know if the snowpack is stable, meaning there is an increased risk of an avalanche off-piste – an estimated 75% of fatalities in the Alpine region occur off-piste.

There are more rocks and hidden dangers off-piste, which can increase injuries in the event of a fall.
Should an accident happen, it can be both dangerous and difficult for emergency medical teams to reach the individuals involved.
Many travel insurance companies do not cover off-piste skiing, making it very expensive for off-piste skiers in the event of an accident or emergency. In many instances, recovery of an accident can be billed at more than £538 an hour, excluding medical expenses and hospital stays.

Our top ski safety tips

In order to stay safe on the slopes, we recommend following a range of safety tips, as we’ve detailed below. It’s also important to remember that nature can be very unpredictable and you should always be on your guard when on the slopes.
Wear the correct clothing – don’t forget your helmet and goggles
Stay with a group of friends and consider everyone’s ski capabilities
Respect other skiers and do not put others in danger
Take a phone and store the numbers of local rescue and emergency services
New to skiing? Attend a ski school to learn the basics and start on beginner slopes
Ski with a guide or someone that knows the area well
Research the official and local avalanche forecasts – do not put yourself at risk!
Purchase comprehensive winter sports travel insurance
If you’re heading off to the mountains make sure your travel insurance covers you for winter sports activities and if you are tempted to venture off off-piste, ensure you’re adequately covered by your insurance provider.

Donetsk People's Republic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donetsk … s_Republic

https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/uploads/famous-dog-quotes-2.jpg

Предложения с «почётная грамота»
Почётная грамота от начальника полиции.
A Chief Constable Certification of Commendation.
Почетная грамота IFIN-HH за отличную деятельность в 2005 году.
IFIN - HH Diploma of Merit for the excellent activity in 2005.
Почетная грамота командования Организации Объединенных Наций, врученная за операцию Поль Баньян.
United Nations Command Certificate of Appreciation awarded for Operation Paul Bunyan.
В школе для полицейских я выиграл серебряный свисток, и получил много почетных грамот за службу, сэр.
I won the Silver Whistle Award at the cadet and have received numerous kudos as an officer I am confident I can lead the police force sir
Колер свернул влево, и они оказались в широком коридоре, стены которого были увешаны почетными грамотами и дипломами.
Kohler took a sharp left and entered a wide hallway adorned with awards and commendations.
Он все еще надеялся, несколько нереалистично, на звание пэра в почетных грамотах Макмиллана об отставке в конце 1963 года.
He still hoped, somewhat unrealistically, for a peerage in Macmillan's resignation honours at the end of 1963.
После его убийства в 1914 году Военно-Морской Флот почтил Франца Фердинанда и его супругу Почетной грамотой на борту SMS Viribus Unitis.
After his assassination in 1914, the Navy honoured Franz Ferdinand and his wife with a lying in state aboard SMS Viribus Unitis.
10 июля 2009 года столица острова Мэн наградила Барри и Робина, а также посмертно-Мориса Почетной грамотой города Дуглас.
On 10 July 2009, the Isle of Man's capital bestowed the Freedom of the Borough of Douglas honour on Barry and Robin, as well as posthumously on Maurice.
В 1909 году он окончил его с почетной грамотой и пошел учиться в местную среднюю церковно-приходскую школу в Спас-Клепиках.
In 1909 he graduated it with an honorary certificate , and went on to study in the local secondary parochial school in Spas - Klepiki.
В 2002 году он был награжден Почетной Грамотой Верховной Рады Украины.
In 2002, he was awarded the Certificate of Honor of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
Он был назначен почетным членом Российской академии наук, от которой получил почетную грамоту в феврале 1879 года.
He was appointed an honorary member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, from which he received an honorary certificate in February 1879.
Президентская награда включает в себя почетную грамоту , памятный сувенир и единовременную денежную премию РС.1 лакх.
The Presidential award carries a certificate of honour, a memento and a one time cash prize of Rs.1 lakh.
Став ректором Лейпцигского университета и получив почетную грамоту , он переехал во Фрайбург, где его жена умерла всего через несколько дней в возрасте 71 года.
After becoming Leipzig University's rector and receiving his emeritus, he moved to Freiburg, where his wife died only a few days later at 71 years old.
Она вернулась на фронт 17 октября на один день, а позже получила почетную грамоту от Центрального комитета комсомола.
She returned to the front on 17 October for one day, and later received an honourable certificate from the Central Committee of Komsomol.

Все права на сервисы и материалы, находящиеся на сайте EnglishLib.org, защищены. Использование материалов возможно только с письменного разрешения владельца и при указании прямой активной ссылки на EnglishLib.org.
27Вы посмотрели только
% информации

http://www.womenclub.ru/components/com_jce/editor/tiny_mce/plugins/lines/img/lines_bg.png

"It's a Jungle Out There" is a song written by Randy Newman and used as the theme song starting with the second season of the TV series Monk. In 2004, it won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music. As the first season's theme song "Monk Theme" had won the same award the previous year, Monk became the first series to have two different theme songs win an Emmy for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music in consecutive years.The song is not to be confused with the Harry Nilsson song of the same name from his 1975 album Duit on Mon Dei.

http://www.womenclub.ru/components/com_jce/editor/tiny_mce/plugins/lines/img/lines_bg.png

History

After the end of the first season of Monk, producer David Hoberman approached Randy Newman to create a new theme song. Newman composed the song and played it for Hoberman and Tony Shalhoub. The song debuted in the second season premiere "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School." It remained unpopular with some fans. USA Network reported that they received many complaints from viewers who wanted the series to continue using Jeff Beal's "Monk Theme." Some references to this were made in season 2, episode 12, "Mr. Monk and the T.V. Star," where a character is upset about the detective show changing its theme song, and she claims no one else likes the new song. At the end of the episode, Adrian Monk agrees not to change the theme if he ever gets a T.V. show, and the old theme plays at the end of the episode.

Although the theme song remained the same, the clips used in the title sequence changed three times over the course of the series:

The first version, used from "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School" at the start of season 2 through "Mr. Monk Takes His Medicine" halfway through season 3. This version was used in approximately 25 episodes.
The third and final version was used starting in season 5 with the episode "Mr. Monk and the Actor" and through the series finale. This version was used for approximately 64 episodes, and brought in clips from season 4 and season 5 episodes.
Newman wrote another song, "When I'm Gone," for the final episode, "Mr. Monk and the End." The song won the 2010 Emmy Award for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics.

As the show appears on Peacock, the first two-part episode has been edited to include the Randy Newman theme.

Adrian Monk, portrayed by Tony Shalhoub, is the title character and protagonist of the USA Network television series Monk. He is a renowned former homicide detective for the San Francisco Police Department. Monk has obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) and multiple phobias, all of which intensified after the murder of his wife Trudy, resulting in his suspension from the department. He works as a private police homicide consultant and undergoes therapy with the ultimate goal of overcoming his grief, taking control of his phobias and disorder, and being reinstated as a police detective.

Randy Newman

It's a jungle out there
Disorder and confusion everywhere
No one seems to care
Well I do
Hey, who's in charge here?
It's a jungle out there
Poison in the very air we breathe
Do you know what's in the water that you drink?
Well I do, and it's amazing
People think I'm crazy, 'cause I worry all the time
If you paid attention, you'd be worried too
You better pay attention
Or this world we love so much might just kill you
I could be wrong now, but I don't think so
'Cause there's a jungle out there
It's a jungle out there

It's a jungle out there
Violence and danger everywhere
It's brother against brother
Pouding on each other
Like they would make a mess
It's a jungle out there
It's a jungle here too
You got a tap right on your phone
A microphone and camera check on everything you do
Call it paranoia as the saying goes
Even paranoids have their meek

I'm not the one who's crazy, I'm not afraid of them
They're afraid of you and me
I could be wrong there, but I don't think so
'Cause it's a jungle out there
It's a jungle out there

It's a jungle out there
Even the cops are scared today
So if you see a uniform
Do exactly what they say
Or make a run for it
I'm only kidding with ya

'Cause it's a jungle out there
It's a jungle out there

Adrian Geoffrey Monk
Monk character

=Spoiler написал(а):

https://filmatik.ru/uploads/person/7639/photo/original/1LOfr36H1OFP5nsCD1ZQKu5QpXo.jpg
Shalhoub as Monk

Adrian Monk, portrayed by Tony Shalhoub, is the title character and protagonist of the USA Network television series Monk. He is a renowned former homicide detective for the San Francisco Police Department. Monk has obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) and multiple phobias, all of which intensified after the murder of his wife Trudy, resulting in his suspension from the department. He works as a private police homicide consultant and undergoes therapy with the ultimate goal of overcoming his grief, taking control of his phobias and disorder, and being reinstated as a police detective.

Series co-creator David Hoberman says that he based Monk partly on himself, and also on other fictional detectives, such as Lt. Columbo, Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes. Other actors considered for the role included Dave Foley, John Ritter, Henry Winkler, Stanley Tucci, Alfred Molina and Michael Richards. The network eventually chose Shalhoub because they felt he could "bring the humor and passion of Monk to life". Stanley Tucci and Alfred Molina had guest appearances on Monk, with Tucci appearing in season 5 episode "Mr. Monk and the Actor", and Molina appearing in season 6 episode "Mr. Monk and the Naked Man".

Both Monk and Shalhoub have garnered many accolades. Monk was included in Bravo's list of The 100 Greatest Television Characters of All Time, and Shalhoub has won various awards for his portrayal, including a Golden Globe Award, three Primetime Emmy Awards and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.

How the Leopard Got His Spots
by Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories (1902) offer young readers the opportunity to identify literary devices like anthropomorphism and explore the characteristics of what makes a "tall tale" somewhat believable.
https://assets.americanliterature.com/al/images/story/how-the-leopard-got-his-spots-2.jpg

In the days when everybody started fair, Best Beloved, the Leopard lived in a place called the High Veldt. 'Member it wasn't the Low Veldt, or the Bush Veldt, or the Sour Veldt, but the 'sclusively bare, hot, shiny High Veldt, where there was sand and sandy-coloured rock and 'sclusively tufts of sandy-yellowish grass. The Giraffe and the Zebra and the Eland and the Koodoo and the Hartebeest lived there; and they were 'sclusively sandy-yellow-brownish all over; but the Leopard, he was the 'sclusivist sandiest-yellowish-brownest of them all a greyish-yellowish catty-shaped kind of beast, and he matched the Veldt to one hair. This was very bad for the Giraffe and the Zebra and the rest of them; for he would lie down by a 'sclusively yellowish-greyish-brownish stone or clump of grass, and when the Giraffe or the Zebra or the Eland or the Koodoo or the Bush-Buck or the Bonte-Buck came by he would surprise them out of their jumpsome lives. He would indeed! And, also, there was an Ethiopian with bows and arrows (a 'sclusively greyish-brownish-yellowish man he was then), who lived on the High Veldt with the Leopard; and the two used to hunt together the Ethiopian with his bows and arrows, and the Leopard 'sclusively with his teeth and claws till the giraffe and the Eland and the Koodoo and the Quagga and all the rest of them didn't know which way to jump, Best Beloved. They didn't indeed!

After a long time things lived for ever so long in those days they learned to avoid anything that looked like a Leopard or an Ethiopian; and bit by bit the Giraffe began it, because his legs were the longest they went away from the High Veldt. They scuttled for days and days till they came to a great forest, 'sclusively full of trees and bushes and stripy, speckly, patchy-blatchy shadows, and there they hid: and after another long time, what with standing half in the shade and half out of it, and what with the slippery-slidy shadows of the trees falling on them, the Giraffe grew blotchy, and the Zebra grew stripy, and the Eland and the Koodoo grew darker, with little wavy grey lines on their backs like bark on a tree trunk; and so, though you could hear them and smell them, you could very seldom see them, and then only when you knew precisely where to look. They had a beautiful time in the 'sclusively speckly-spickly shadows of the forest, while the Leopard and the Ethiopian ran about over the 'sclusively greyish-yellowish-reddish High Veldt outside, wondering where all their breakfasts and their dinners and their teas had gone. At last they were so hungry that they ate rats and beetles and rock-rabbits, the Leopard and the Ethipian, and then they met Baviaan the dog-headed, barking Baboon, who is Quite the Wisest Animal in All South Africa.

Said Leopard to Baviaan (and it was a very hot day), "Where has all the game gone?"

And Baviaan winked. He knew.

Said the Ethiopian to Baviaan, "Can you tell me the present habitat of the aboriginal Fauna?" (That meant just the same thing, but the Ethiopian always used long words. He was a grown-up.)

And Baviaan winked. He knew.

Then said Baviaan, "The game has gone into other spots; and my advice to you, Leopard, is to go into other spots as soon as you can."

And the Ethiopian said, "That is all very fine, but I wish to know whither the aboriginal Fauna has migrated."

Then said Baviaan, "The aboriginal Fauna has joined the aboriginal Flora because it was high time for a change; and my advice to you, Ethiopian, is to change as soon as you can."

That puzzled the Leopard and the Ethiopian, but they set off to look for the aboriginal Flora, and presently, after ever so many days, they saw a great, high, tall forest full of tree trunks all 'sclusively speckled and sprottled and spottled, dotted and splashed and slashed and hatched and cross-hatched with shadows. (Say that quickly aloud, and you will see how very shadowy the forest must have been.)

"What is this," said the Leopard, "that is so 'sclusively dark, and yet so full of little pieces of light?"

"I don't know," said the Ethiopian, "but it ought to be the aboriginal Flora. I can smell Giraffe, and I can hear Giraffe, but I can't see Giraffe."

"That's curious," said Leopard. "I suppose it is because we have just come in out of the sunshine. I can smell Zebra, and I can hear Zebra, but I can't see Zebra."

"Wait a bit," said the Ethiopian. "It's a long time since we've hunted 'em. Perhaps we've forgotten what they were like."

"Fiddle!" said the Leopard. "I remember them perfectly on the High Veldt, especially their marrow bones. Giraffe is about seventeen feet high, of a 'sclusively fulvous golden-yellow from head to heel; and Zebra is about four and a half feet high, of a 'sclusively grey-fawn colour from head to heel."

"Ummm," said the Ethiopian, looking into the speckly-spickly shadows of the aboriginal Flora-forest. "Then they ought to show up in this dark place like ripe bananas in a smokehouse."

But they didn't. The Leopard and the Ethiopian hunted all day; and though they could smell them and hear them, they never saw one of them.

For goodness sake," said the Leopard at tea-time, "let us wait till it gets dark. This daylight hunting is a perfect scandal."

So they waited till dark, and then the Leopard heard something breathing sniffily in the starlight that fell all stripy through the branches, and he jumped at the noise, and it smelt like Zebra, and it felt like Zebra, and when he knocked it down it kicked like Zebra, but he couldn't see it. So he said, "Be quiet, O you person without any form. I am going to sit on your head till morning, because there is something about you that I don't understand."

How the Leopard Got His Spots 2Presently he heard a grunt and a crash and a scramble, and the Ethiopian called out, "I've caught a thing that I can't see. It smells like Giraffe, and it kicks like Giraffe, but it hasn't any form."

"Don't you trust it," said the Leopard. "Sit on its head till the morning same as me. They haven't any form any of 'em."

So they sat down on them hard till bright morning-time, and then Leopard said, "What have you at your end of the table, Brother?"

The Ethiopian scratched his head and said, "It ought to be 'sclusively a rich fulvous orange-tawny from head to heel, and it ought to be Giraffe; but it is covered all over with chesnut blotches. What have you at your end of the table, Brother?"

And the Leopard scratched his head and said, "It ought to be 'sclusively a delicate greyish-fawn, and it ought to be Zebra; but it is covered all over with black and purple stripes. What in the world have you been doing to yourself, Zebra? Don't you know that if you were on the High Veldt I could see you ten miles off? You haven't any form."

"Yes," said the Zebra, "but this isn't the High Veldt. Can't you see?"

"I can now," said the Leopard. "But I couldn't all yesterday. How is it done?"

"Let us up," said the Zebra, "and we will show you."

They let the Zebra and the Giraffe get up; and Zebra moved away to some little thorn-bushes where the sunlight fell all stripy, and Giraffe moved off to some tallish trees where the shadows fell all blotchy.

"Now watch," said the Zebra and the Giraffe. "this is the way it's done. One two three! And where's your breakfast?"

Leopard stared, and Ethiopian stared, but all they could see were stripy shadows and blotched shadows in the forest, but never a sign of Zebra and Giraffe. They had just walked off and hidden themselves in the shadowy forest.

"Hi! Hi!" said the Ethiopian. "That's a trick worth learning. Take a lesson by it, Leopard. You show up in this dark place like a bar of soap in a coal-scuttle."

"Ho! Ho!" said the Leopard. "Would it surprise you very much to know that you show up in this dark place like a mustard-plaster on a sack of coals?"

"Well, calling names won't catch dinner," said the Ethiopian. "The long and the little of it is that we don't match our backgrounds. I'm going to take Baviaan's advice. He told me I ought to change; and as I've nothing to change except my skin I'm going to change that."

"What to?" said the Leopard, tremendously excited.

"To a nice working blackish-brownish colour, with a little purple in it, and touches of slaty-blue. It will be the very thing for hiding in hollows and behind trees."

So he changed his skin then and there, and the Leopard was more excited than ever; he had never seen a man change his skin before.

"But what about me?" he said, when the Ethiopian had worked his last little finger into his fine new black skin.

"You take Baviaan's advice too. He told you to go into spots."

"So I did," said the Leopard. "I went into other spots as fast as I could. I went into this spot with you, and a lot of good it has done me."

"Oh," said the Ethiopian, "Baviaan didn't mean spots in South Africa. He meant spots on your skin."

"What's the use of that?" said the Leopard.

"Think of Giraffe," said the Ethiopian, "or if you prefer stripes, think of Zebra. They find their spots and stripes give them perfect satisfaction."

"Umm," said the Leopard. "I wouldn't look like Zebra not for ever so."

"Well, make up your mind," said the Ethiopian, "because I'd hate to go hunting without you, but I must if you insist on looking like a sun-flower against a tarred fence."

"I'll take spots, then," said the Leopard; "but don't make 'em too vulgar-big. I wouldn't look like giraffe not for ever so."

I'll make 'em with the tips of my fingers," said the Ethiopian. "There's plenty of black left on my skin still. Stand over!"

Then the Ethiopian put his five fingers close together (there was plenty of black left on his new skin still) and pressed them all over the Leopard, and wherever the five fingers touched they left five little black marks, all close together. You can see them on any Leopard's skin you like, Best Beloved. Sometimes the fingers slipped and the marks got a little blurred; but if you look closely at any Leopard now you will see that there are always five spots off five fat black finger-tips.

"Now you are a beauty!" said the Ethiopian. "You can lie out on the bare ground and look like a heap of pebbles. You can lie out on the naked rocks and look like a piece of pudding-stone. You can lie out on a leafy branch and look like sunshine sifting through the leaves; and you can lie right across the centre of a path and look like nothing in particular. Think of that and purr!"

"But if I'm all this," said the Leopard, "why didn't you go spotty too?"

"Oh, plain black's best," said the Ethiopian. "Now come along and we'll see if we can't get even with Mr. One-Two-Three-Where's-your-Breakfast!"

So they went away and lived happily ever afterward, Best Beloved. That is all.

Oh, now and then you will hear grown-ups say, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the Leopard his spots?" I don't think even grown-ups would keep on saying such a silly thing if the Leopard and the Ethiopian hadn't done it once do you? But they will never do it again, Best Beloved. They are quite contented as they are.

I am the Most Wise Baviaan, saying in Most wise tones,
"Let us melt into the landscape, just us two by our lones."
Peoplehavecome, inacarriage, calling. But Mummy is there....
Yes, I can go if you take me— Nurse says she don't care.
Let's go up to the pig-styes and sit on the farmyard rails!
Let's say things to the bunnies, and watch 'em skitter their tails!
Let's'-oh, anything, daddy, so long as it's you and me,
And going truly exploring, and not being in till tea!
Here's your boots (I've brought 'em), and here's your cap and stick,
And here's your pipe and tobacco. Oh, come along out of it, quick!

How the Leopard Got His Spots was featured as The Short Story of the Day on Fr, July 1, 2022

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/mcs/media/images/61140000/jpg/_61140897_ternatevolcano_worrall.jpg
Indonesia's "Spice Islands" produced more nutmeg, mace, pepper and cloves than anywhere else in the world and on the island of Ternate, one particular tree has an extraordinary history.
"Bule, Bule," shout the children excitedly, as our jeep threads its way up a steep road on the side of the volcano. "White man, White man."
I am on Ternate, one of Indonesia's fabled Spice Islands.
The midday call to prayer mingles with the mosquito-whine of motorcycles. Above us, smoke seeps from the side of Gamalama, the pyramid-shaped volcano that dominates the island.
It had erupted only a month earlier, sending a tongue of molten lava pouring down the mountain into the sea. This part of the world is not called "The Ring of Fire" for nothing.
I am searching for the world's oldest clove tree. Why it is called Afo, no one knows. Neither is it exactly certain when Afo was planted. But estimates suggest it is between 350 and 400 years old.
For millennia, Ternate and the neighbouring island of Tidore were the world's only source of those fragrant, twig-like herbs that love to hide at the back of our kitchen cupboards.
Cloves from Ternate were traded by Arab seafarers along the maritime Silk Route as far afield as the Middle East, Europe and China.
A Han dynasty ruler from the 3rd Century BC insisted that anyone addressing him chew cloves to sweeten their breath. Their origin was a fiercely-guarded secret until the Portuguese and Spanish burst into the Java Sea in the 16th Century.
Our hip, young Indonesian driver is clearly baffled as to why anyone should want to see an old tree.
And he clearly has no idea where Afo is. At a roadside stall selling everything from basketballs to fruit, we stop to ask directions.
The stallholder points back down the hill. With great difficulty, and reeking brake pads, we turn round and drive back down the volcano.
After a few hundred yards, we spot a signboard pointing to some steps cut into the hillside.
The path winds upwards through groves of clove trees and bamboo.

We are at nearly 1,800m (6,000ft) above sea level. Below us, through the foliage, I can just make out the sea and, beyond it, the island of Tidore.
Huffing and puffing up one last flight of steps I find myself under a tree that was probably here when Shakespeare was alive.
Afo was once 40 metres tall and four metres round. Sadly, today, all that remains is a massive stump and some bare branches.
A few years ago, villagers hungry for firewood even attacked Afo with machetes. A brick wall now surrounds it.
If the Dutch had had their way, Afo would not have survived at all.
The Netherlands United East India Company, or Voc, was the world's first multinational corporation.
And just as corporations today seek to monopolise plant genes in the developing world, the Voc set about seizing total control of spice production.
In 1652, after displacing the Portuguese and Spanish, the Dutch introduced a policy known as extirpatie: extirpation.
All clove trees not controlled by the Voc were uprooted and burned.
Anyone caught growing, stealing or possessing clove plants without authorisation faced the death penalty.
On the Banda Islands, to the south - the world's only source of nutmeg - the Dutch used Japanese mercenaries to slaughter almost the entire male population.
Like Opec today, the Voc also limited supply to keep prices high. Only 800-1,000 tonnes of cloves were exported per year. The rest of the harvest was burned or dumped in the sea.
Somehow, Afo managed to slip through the net. A rogue clove. A guerrilla plant waging a secret war of resistance.
Afo would eventually bring down the Dutch monopoly on cloves.
In 1770, a Frenchman, appropriately named Poivre, stole some of Afo's seedlings.
This Monsieur Pepper took them to France, then the Seychelles Islands and, eventually, Zanzibar, which is today the world's largest producer of cloves.
As I stand looking up into its branches, I wonder who planted Afo - and kept its location secret all those years.
Or did it just survive because of its remoteness high on the slopes of Gamalama?
Either way, this ancient clove tree remains a symbol of the ultimate folly of empire - and the stubborn refusal of nature to be controlled.

How to Grow Clematis

By Kathy LaLiberte

Every flower gardener should know the pleasure of growing clematis. If you already have one in your garden, you're probably scheming about how to squeeze in another! New to clematis? Read on and discover how easy it is to be successful with the "queen of climbers."

To be continued here: https://www.gardeners.com/how-to/grow-c … /8203.html

Reading

Water Resistant Versus Waterproof Jackets
KEN KNAPP|DECEMBER 11, 2017

With storm season in full bluster, the need for dependable raingear develops a greater sense of urgency. If you’re shopping for a new rain jacket, you’ll quickly encounter a trio of seemingly interchangeable terms: water resistant, waterproof and water repellent. Is there really a difference between them?

Spoiler alert: “Waterproof” beats “water resistant” and “waterproof/breathable” will make you the driest of them all.

The technology in a jacket can be incredibly sophisticated. For an in-depth discussion of the subject, read our Expert Advice article: How Does Raingear Work? Here we’ll touch upon a handful of key concepts.

The preceding trio of water words do indeed mean different things, and if you want to know which jacket to wear based on your area’s weather forecast, it’s important to understand the distinctions between them. Essentially, water resistant and waterproof designate the degree to which rain is kept from getting through a jacket, while water repellent refers to an extra coating that improves any rain jacket’s performance (waterproof, included).

Water resistant is a lower level of rain protection
In theory, any fabric between you and falling rain will keep some water from reaching your skin, making it at least partially water resistant—and a surprising variety of jackets list water resistance as a feature. Assuming a jacket’s outer surface isn’t some absorbent material like cotton, it likely could handle a light drizzle. If you’re out for an extended time in the rain, or the intensity of that rain increases, though, you’re going to get wet.

Waterproof is the highest level of rain protection
If you want a jacket that can stand up to serious rainfall, then the technology game also gets serious. To achieve a truly waterproof fabric, jacket brands experiment with a seemingly infinite variety of outward-facing fabrics, as well as high-tech laminates or coatings in layered constructions.

From a lab-results perspective, a fabric is considered waterproof when it reaches a certain level of water resistance. But there’s no agreed-upon industry standard for this value, so you have to trust a brand’s claim that a fabric is waterproof. If you trust the brand, you can probably trust the designation, but you won’t be able to easily compare levels of “waterproofness” between brands.

(It’s also worth noting that, “waterproof” means something else for other types of gear—things that might get submerged, like a watch or a camera. For those types of items, a whole different set of tests and test standards come into play.)

What about “waterproof/breathable” jackets?
If the only goal is keeping rain out, then one could simply fashion a plastic bag into a jacket. The minute you exert yourself, though, your own sweat will make the jacket feel like a sauna. Inexpensive rain slickers and ponchos can shed rain—and meet waterproof standards—but you only want to wear one if you’re planning to sit or stand still.

In the end, it’s the combination of waterproof and breathable technologies that will keep you the driest if you’re headed outdoors during a serious rainstorm. Inventing this technology is what made Gore-Tex® fabric a household name. Today, you can find dozens of jackets with similar technologies. It’s worth noting that in general, the drier you want to be, the more you’ll need to spend.

Brands test breathability in the lab, too, again using a variety of methods and mandated results. The takeaway is the same, though: Comparing performance between brands isn’t possible, but, if you trust a brand, then you can trust its waterproof/breathable jacket has been rigorously tested.

Understanding water repellency
Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coatings are used on both water-resistant and waterproof jackets. The easiest way to explain what this coating does is to look at the surface of a new rain jacket during a light rain. When you see water drops bead up and roll off, you’re seeing water repellency in action.

A DWR coating doesn’t turn a water-resistant jacket into a waterproof one, but it does increase the level of water resistance of any jacket. It also prevents the surface layer of a waterproof/breathable jacket from getting saturated, enabling that jacket to operate at peak efficiency. When a jacket’s DWR coating eventually wears out, you can renew it to give your jacket back its full rain-protection mojo.