"КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Listening and Reading in English

Сообщений 121 страница 140 из 204

Listening and Reading in English

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0948YHyV7ns/X5l8UI4vX-I/AAAAAAABHuo/azirwJs5xl8HCHVwaGZW5TuKw7PjGKXvQCLcBGAsYHQ/s636/titus2mentor.jpg

Our stories are like little audiobooks, and feature everything from romance, to sci-fi thrillers, to drama, and even detective/crime fiction. We sometimes even welcome special guests to our story, like Sherlock Holmes, everyone's favorite sleuth (or at least ours). Other popular genres are fantasy, comedy, satire, and tragedy. You can get Biographics. We even read some  narrative poetry sometimes!

We don't offer writing tips, but we feature a wide variety of legendary authors from around the world. Reading good literature is one of the best ways to improve your own writing skill.

We're not an English-language course, but our stories are helpful for grasping idioms and English writing styles.

+2

In Neglect

Robert Frost - 1874-1963

They leave us so to the way we took,
     As two in whom they were proved mistaken,
That we sit sometimes in the wayside nook,
With mischievous, vagrant, seraphic look,
     And try if we cannot feel forsaken.

+1

+1

Reading

The Most Luxurious Celebrity Houses – The Price Of These Homes Are Through The Roof!

NOV 10, 2021

https://carsandyachts.com/trending/the- … yclinton/9

+1

Parallel reading

O.Henry. The Gifts Of Magi

https://studyenglishwords.com/book/Дары-волхвов/51?page=1

+1

Reading

9 Ways To Live But Not Merely Exist You Need To Start Doing:

https://www.lifehack.org/articles/commu … doing.html

+1

Reading

O.Henry

The Gift of the Magi

ONE DOLLAR AND eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies. Pennies saved one and two at a time by bulldozing the grocer and the vegetable man and the butcher until one's cheeks burned with the silent imputation of parsimony that such close dealing implied. Three times Della counted it. One dollar and eighty-seven cents. And the next day would be Christmas.

There was clearly nothing to do but flop down on the shabby little couch and howl. So Della did it. Which instigates the moral reflection that life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating.

While the mistress of the home is gradually subsiding from the first stage to the second, take a look at the home. A furnished flat at $8 per week. It did not exactly beggar description, but it certainly had that word on the lookout for the mendicancy squad.

In the vestibule below was a letter-box into which no letter would go, and an electric button from which no mortal finger could coax a ring. Also appertaining thereunto was a card bearing the name “Mr. James Dillingham Young.” The “Dillingham” had been flung to the breeze during a former period of prosperity when its possessor was being paid $30 per week. Now, when the income was shrunk to $20, the letters of “Dillingham” looked blurred, as though they were thinking seriously of contracting to a modest and unassuming D. But whenever Mr. James Dillingham Young came home and reached his flat above he was called “Jim” and greatly hugged by Mrs. James Dillingham Young, already introduced to you as Della. Which is all very good.

Della finished her cry and attended to her cheeks with the powder rag. She stood by the window and looked out dully at a grey cat walking a grey fence in a grey backyard. Tomorrow would be Christmas Day, and she had only $1.87 with which to buy Jim a present. She had been saving every penny she could for months, with this result. Twenty dollars a week doesn't go far. Expenses had been greater than she had calculated. They always are. Only $1.87 to buy a present for Jim. Her Jim. Many a happy hour she had spent planning for something nice for him. Something fine and rare and sterling—something just a little bit near to being worthy of the honor of being owned by Jim.
There was a pier-glass between the windows of the room. Perhaps you have seen a pier-glass in an $8 flat. A very thin and very agile person may, by observing his reflection in a rapid sequence of longitudinal strips, obtain a fairly accurate conception of his looks. Della, being slender, had mastered the art.

Suddenly she whirled from the window and stood before the glass. Her eyes were shining brilliantly, but her face had lost its color within twenty seconds. Rapidly she pulled down her hair and let it fall to its full length.

To be continued…

+1

O.Henry

The gift of the Magi (full text)

Read: https://www.owleyes.org/text/gift-magi/ … -218982-39

New Delicate Cut Paper Flowers by Maude White — Colossal
https://i.imgur.com/3UBCkS3m.jpg
Paper-cutting artist Maude White (previously) continues to astound us with her painstaking illustrations cut from single sheets of paper. Limited to only negative and positive space, she explores poetic compositions of line and shape as she renders each piece with a knife. White is currently working on a series of blooms as part of an upcoming exhibition at Buffalo Arts Studio, and if you want to learn a bit more about her process she recently did an interview over on Block Club.

+1

https://i.imgur.com/g7HRit1m.jpg

A Lovely Inconsequence Rx

Read here: https://alovelyinconsequence.com/2020/0 … e-rx.html/

+1

+1

+1

https://i.imgur.com/ml0YZ7Tm.jpg

A Lovely Inconsequence Rx
March 15, 2020

I’ve read, and friends have told me that women are buying themselves flowers this week.  I saw it today at the supermarket too.  Every other basket had flowers in it including the basket of an 80+ fellow female shopper.  And purple tulips reached out to me as if their leaves had tentacles.  The color was so happy that I just had to bring them home.  One can easily see that we are trying to soothe ourselves, reassure ourselves, and feel a little normal during an uncertain and scary time.

Many self-help gurus say that if we want to re-discover our true passions, we need to remember ourselves at ten years old.  The theory is that age ten is when our spirits are still free and unencumbered by prejudices and opinions of others.  Age ten is when we are still pure in youthful selfishness and right decision and we still have time to experiment and explore things that excite and spark joy.

At ten years old, I was in the fifth grade and assigned to a dreadful teacher. Fortunately, she left to have a baby in October but then a series of unfortunate substitutes followed, each worse than the one before.  But in January, a breath of fresh air breezed in and turned our sullen classroom into a garden.

Mrs. Tanner was the mother of a student in the other fifth grade class and having her youngest child in first grade, she volunteered to teach us until a good permanent replacement could be found.  Suddenly, our classroom was filled with flowers and plants.  We had tender shoots sprouting up on every inch of the large window sills on the side of the classroom, we made moist terrariums and saw how plants can grow under glass.  Soon, a green philodendron began to creep its way across the alphabet frieze at the top of the chalkboard.  We placed bets in a decorated box on how long it would take for its leafy tendrils to reach the wall clock on the other side of the room.

But Mrs.Tanner fostered other things in us besides horticulture.  We learned how to make an exploding paper mache “volcano”  with vinegar and baking soda.  She wheeled a colored TV into the classroom so we could watch some of the orbital rocket launches that year.  We had lessons about the moon and homework assignments observing its phases from our backyards and recording our findings in journals we made by hand.  And most importantly, Mrs. Tanner taught us to love books…

Each week we had to present a book report to the class but all  books had to be teacher-approved first.  Only once did she veto my selection – a much-too-grown-up story about a teenager who married in high school.  “Why don’t you read about a teenager who lived during the Civil War?”, she suggested.  And then she took me on a walk to the school library where I found a story about Anne Sullivan, Helen Keller’s famous teacher, and a touching story about a girl sent to live with her aunt during wartime.  I devoured the books and this was the origin of my life-long love of history and reading.

But what I remember most about Mrs.Tanner was the book she read to us.  About a half hour before the dismissal bell, she would remove a small brown book the side drawer in her old wooden desk.  It was a true tale about a boy who got lost in mountainous woods after having been separated from his family on a camping trip.  The spirited yet soft way she read, the pauses to ask us pointed questions about what we thought would happen next, enraptured us so much that we felt we knew this lost boy personally and collectively, we rooted for him on the edge of our desk chairs every afternoon.  How disappointed we were when that bell released us back down to earth.

I’ve been thinking about the gifts Mrs. Tanner gave us that year.  She not only rescued us from three tortuous teachers, but she loved us into our ten year old existence.  We learned how to identify spring wildflowers and she let us tramp to a nearby bog where unbidden, we filled our arms with pussywillows, her favorite spring plant.  Indeed, I still can’t see a branch of them without thinking of her.  Tender and fresh, they arrive with a promise of warmer days to come, just like our teacher when she arrived in our classroom like a refreshing zephyr to heal and redirect a bunch of fifth graders.

There’s a prescription in this post, my friends.  What did you love at ten?  What can you bring to these frightening weeks ahead as we hunker down at home and fret and worry about our loved ones?  I think flowers and books are in order, don’t you?  Maybe a book of something wonderful that you can order online – something you’ve always wanted to know more about – constellations, how to  make coffee desserts, a sumptuous study of romantic Scottish ruins, or a book like my new one about Monet’s fabled and beloved Giverny.  Something new-to-you that you can get lost in over the next few weeks.  Read every bit of text and savor each picture and illustration, live with your book and enjoy it.  And grow something.  Start some seeds, buy a cheery green ivy and watch how it leans towards the late afternoon sun.  Perhaps there are pussywillows nearby too, just waiting to dress up that grocery store bouquet.

~~~~~~~~~

A friend told me she spent some happy hours cleaning out her costume jewelry drawers the other day while she waited for her husband to fly home from a business trip..  My sister, who loved to draw at age ten, is soothing herself by coloring in coloring books and trying her hand at sketching with colored pencils.  Other friends are baking bread and cookies.  This not the time to give up routines for skin care and exercising can be done at home.  Nourishing foods and regular mealtimes are helpful too.  What is reassuring you these days?

+1

https://i.imgur.com/mTLI0sRm.jpg
The First Thanksgiving, 1621, is an imaginary version.
By J.L.G.Ferris (1863-1930)

The scene depicted here is a romanticized (idealized) version and not historically accurate. The clothing worn by the Pilgrims is incorrect, the Wampanoag did not wear feathered war bonnets, nor would they have been sitting on the ground.

=Spoiler написал(а):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/The_First_Thanksgiving_cph.3g04961.jpg

To the most Americans the first Thanksgiving is “legendary” and real event, much as it is depicted in the modern painting: a decorous gathering of Pilgrims and their Indian friends meeting to offer thanks for God’s bounty. Historically except for a brief grace, God was not mentioned. Instead, the Pilgrims hailed their first harvest in 1621 with a three-day banquet spiced with tests of skill and strength.

The settlers asked their Indian ally Chief Massasoit to dine with them and were momentarily staggered when he arrived accompanied by 90 uninvited ravenous warriors: no tribal women attended. The result was not a holiday for Plymouth’ s five women; they had to feed145 diners.

The Pilgrims could not have been so elegantly dressed as they are in this romanticised view. The 10 months of hardship that killed half their original party must have taken their toll of their clothing too. The log cabin is also an anachronism. Pilgrims homes were fashioned of hewn planks and had wooden shutters, not leaded panes.

Revellers dined on venison and wild fowl, eel, shellfish, lobster, corn, dried fruit, and probably turkey - all washed down with homemade wine. Two traditional treats were absent: cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. Except for knives, there were no utensils. One ate with one’s fingers from wooden trenchers or scooped up food with  crude clamshell spoons.

+1

American legend

The Crafty Woodsman

A New Hampshire man named Lovel was splitting logs when six Indians slipped from the woods and surrounded him. Knives and tomahawks in hand, they gestured that he was to go with them. Lovel agreed, asking only that they wait until he had finished chopping a big chestnut trunk.

Happily to avoid a struggle, the braves nodded. If the Indians would just lend a hand, Lovel suggested, the whole business would take less time. Again the Indians agreed. Driving a massive iron wedge into the split, Lovel asked the tribesmen to help pull the log apart. They did, and he swiftly knocked away the wedge, trapping their hands in the massive log. Then he killed all six with his ax and went on with his work as if nothing had happened.

+1

My uncle, rich and well respected,
When his old bones began to ache,
Determined not to be neglected
(A proper line for him to take).
The moral’s hardly worth exploring
But, oh my god! How deadly boring
There at the bedside night and day
And never walk a step away!
The meanness and the degradation
To smile and keep his spirits up,
Then lay the pillows in their station
And sadly tilt a medicine cup.
To sigh and think at every cough
When will the Devil take him of?
(Translated by Reginald Hewitt)

Предлагаем вашему вниманию видео, в котором представлена традиционная точка зрения относительно происхождения праздника.

+1

https://i.imgur.com/lcwydiGm.jpg
By Jen Betton

Jen lives and works in the Boston area, where she freelances illustration and teaches art at a local college. She received her BFA in Painting from the University of Central Florida, her MFA in Ill…

https://i.imgur.com/Rvyjpr9m.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NP5wNl7m.jpg
One last post - we are off for two weeks' holiday through Spain, Italy, Germany and Switzerland so it will be a while before I'm back in here again. I keep a close eye on the cherry tree in our backyard in Spring to see when it's in flower - it's a good indication of when it's time to take a drive to the Luberon Valley. This is what our cherry tree was doing, so we quickly decided to take a mid week trip to the hilltop village of Bonnieux, hoping to see flowering fruit trees en masse. If you look in my banner above you can see the shot I got last year - trees in perfect blossom with a field of yellow flowers below. Gorgeous. Unfortunately we were a little late - Spring has definitely come earlier this year, plus it's been a lot warmer now in April than in May 2010, when I took that photo. So most of the trees had gone past blossoms to leaves. I also caught some pretty poor light for photo taking (excuses, excuses) and would have loved to wait for the 'golden hours' before sunset, but the three hungry children in the back of the car didn't give a toss about my photographic aspirations. So we headed to the fab playground at the base of Bonnieux and had ourselves a yummy picnic dinner. Looking up at beautiful Bonnieux. The kids got to run around, play in the sand and then we were all treated to a pretty spectacular sunset. I mentioned last weekend the mister was running in the Paris Marathon. I'm proud to announce he not only made it, but he also finished with a very respectable time of 3hr 50. Five days later his legs are feeling good, but I must say his feet are in pretty bad shape. Nothing that time and corrective surgery can't fix (jokes). Race participants all received this helpful guide book in their starter packs. Plenty of good last minute advice there. I especially liked this last point (or perhaps more the english translation): Nipple chafe: Even the French hate it. Be good and have fun, folks. I'll be back in two weeks with travel stories to tell and a sewing itch to scratch. Bonnes vacances!