"КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Listening and Reading in English

Сообщений 141 страница 160 из 204

Listening and Reading in English

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0948YHyV7ns/X5l8UI4vX-I/AAAAAAABHuo/azirwJs5xl8HCHVwaGZW5TuKw7PjGKXvQCLcBGAsYHQ/s636/titus2mentor.jpg

Our stories are like little audiobooks, and feature everything from romance, to sci-fi thrillers, to drama, and even detective/crime fiction. We sometimes even welcome special guests to our story, like Sherlock Holmes, everyone's favorite sleuth (or at least ours). Other popular genres are fantasy, comedy, satire, and tragedy. You can get Biographics. We even read some  narrative poetry sometimes!

We don't offer writing tips, but we feature a wide variety of legendary authors from around the world. Reading good literature is one of the best ways to improve your own writing skill.

We're not an English-language course, but our stories are helpful for grasping idioms and English writing styles.

+2

Reading

https://i.imgur.com/53XHlr8m.png. World Of Wonders
Wonders Of Our Planet

Forks

https://i.imgur.com/axffjLKm.jpg
Forks have been known since the time of Moses and the pharaohs:
they are even mentioned in the Old Testament.

One subject, different roles

Surprisingly, such a familiar, everyday thing as a fork, for many centuries caused controversy and even wars, was perceived as an attack on religious foundations. In a word, her path to our table was long and thorny.

Only in the 16th century did they begin to use it in enlightened Europe. And before that, they ate with a spoon and even with their hands. And after all, it cannot be said that mankind only then thought of this simple invention! What are you talking about, the first bone forks were found in the burials of the Kijia people, who lived on the territory of modern China in the Bronze Age.

Forks have been known since the time of Moses and the pharaohs: they are even mentioned in the Old Testament. Bronze, copper, silver, iron forks were in Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome. True, they were used only in the kitchen: with large two-toothed or three-pronged straight forks with a powerful handle, they pulled out pieces of meat from the boiler, removed animal carcasses from skewers.

This was the end of the role of the fork: then the food was taken by hand and carried into the mouth. True, even here it was not without etiquette: the ancient Roman poet Ovid taught his contemporaries not to grab meat or vegetables with their fingers, but to take them with their fingertips, which should then be wiped not with a hollow toga, but with bread.

Oriental tricks

Centuries passed, culture developed, including the culture of the meal. A feast is not just satisfying hunger. This is the enjoyment of delicious food, interesting conversation, communication, even music, and therefore the environment requires an appropriate one. Exquisite crockery, embroidered tablecloths... And against such a background, you have to eat with your hands everything that you can't pick up with a spoon? Oh, how ugly... Some particularly squeamish people came up with the idea of putting on special gloves for dinner, which they threw away after use. It got too expensive.

In the 7th century in the East, they finally thought of adapting a fork from the kitchen for feasts. Reduced, of course, five times - and here is the first timid attempt to chop a piece on a fork and bring it to your mouth. Drum roll... Hooray! The process has begun!

By the 10th century, the entire East was already using table forks. Who is richer - gold and silver, who is simpler - copper and bronze. Sizes - from tiny for berries to quite solid for meat and fish; the number of teeth is from two to six. Whoever likes it. And it seems that it was from the East that the fork came to Byzantium.

And perhaps not. There is a version that the fork appeared in Byzantium in the 11th century on its own, and not at all as an element of a foreign culture. It was invented by a noble lady.

fashionable thing

Once upon a time there lived in Constantinople in the 11th century Princess Mary of Alan, the widow of Emperor Michael VII Doukas. The high-born lady considered it humiliating to eat with her hands and ordered to make a special device for herself in a single copy. Thus, the first fork appeared in Byzantium, moreover, it was gold, two-toothed, with a handle inlaid with mother-of-pearl and ivory.

The princess proudly sat down at the table with her personal fork, which struck the whole aristocracy on the spot. And very soon the Byzantine nobility began to use forks, appreciating all the elegance and convenience of the invention of Mary of Alana.

So the fork turned into a symbol of belonging to a high class, to the nobility, which should not get their hands dirty at the table. And in this role went on a tour of the world. Namely, to Venice, where another Byzantine princess brought the fork.

Devilish machinations

Here the fork had to endure a lot. For the first time, the Venetians saw her in 1004 during the wedding feast of the Doge (the Doge is the head of the republic in medieval Venice and Genoa. - Ed.) Giovanni Orseolo with the Byzantine Princess Mary. When the guests plunged their hands into the dishes with dishes, the newlywed took out an elegant fork from a golden case, picked up a piece of food with it and brought it to her lips. The guests gasped and ... were indignant. They considered that the Byzantine pride thus humiliated Venice, made it clear the difference between the refined court of Constantinople and the provincial European state. In short, the fork failed.

The second attempt took place 70 years later. And again, with a fork, a Byzantine princess appeared in Venice - this time Theodora Anna Doukas. In 1075, she became the wife of Doge Domenico Selvo and began to instill oriental habits in the Venetian court.

She not only used the fork herself, but also demanded the same from the courtiers. Against her I rebelled the Church. Preacher Pierre Damiani called on the princess herself and on everyone who picks up a fork, heavenly punishments, for this object is the weapon of the devil. After all, Satan has a pitchfork in his hands, and I and the fork are the same, only smaller in size.

By the way, the satanic pitchfork with which sinners are tormented in hell is nothing but the trident of Neptune. In the midst of the struggle against paganism, all the ancient gods were declared evil spirits. So the trident, similar to a pitchfork, fell into the hands of the devil.

When Theodora Anna died a few years later of gangrene, the Church announced that the Lord had punished the wicked for the fork.

Oddly enough, this had no effect on the Venetians. Pasta lovers quickly realized that eating hot, slippery pasta with a fork is much more convenient than eating with your hands. And they boldly began to wield the "devil's tool" at the table. Moreover, in St. Mark's Cathedral - the main one in Venice - at the "Last Supper" Christ and St. Peter ... eat with a fork and a knife. The fork won!

Galloping across Europe

From Venice, the fork, of course, began to spread throughout Europe and was initially rebuffed everywhere. For example, Queen Anne of Austria, whom we all remember thanks to the Three Musketeers, simply kicked out those who tried to use a fork from the table. Her son Louis XIV, the famous Sun King, ate with his hands, calling his fingers "royal cutlery". Only in 1684 did the ruler of France dare to touch the fork.

In England and Germany, forks appeared in noble houses at the end of the 17th century, but the Church stubbornly continued to curse this demonic invention. For example, the famous composer of the 17th century, Claudio Monteverdi, after having dinner, read three prayers to atone for sin - the use of a fork. Well, in Italian monasteries - strongholds of the true faith, forks were not used until the 18th century.

Yes, monks! Until 1897, sailors in the British Royal Navy were forbidden to use forks, as they "weaken discipline and courage." And indeed: there is no beast more terrible than a fork ...

By the end of the 18th century, all of Europe was already using a knife and fork at the table. Because of this, by the way, the shape of table knives has changed: the blades have become rounded at the end. After all, from now on, having a fork, it was not required to prick pieces on a knife.

On the home side

The fork came to Rus' from Poland. And again there was a wedding, and again everything ended badly. On May 8, 1606, False Dmitry I married Marina Mnishek, and the newlyweds took out forks at the feast. Than they discovered their traitorous nature. The clergymen and boyars present immediately realized that before them was not a legitimate tsar at all, but an impostor and a Polish fosterling who had come to shake holy Rus'. You yourself know how sad it all ended - both for False Dmitry, and for Marina, and for Rus'.

The word “fork” itself was not used until the 18th century: the device was called a horn and was suspected of having a devilish essence in it. At the very least, harmful foreign influence. However, it was possible for selected people to eat with a fork. So, at the feasts of the sovereign Alexei Mikhailovich, spoons and bread were placed on the common table, but the autocrat and the most honored guests were served a separate “plate and forks” (small pitchforks). As you can see, the fork was still the prerogative of the king.

The situation was radically changed by Peter I: he not only shaved the beards of the boyars, but also ordered his subjects to use cutlery. The aristocracy went towards the reformer tsar, but the common people did not accept the innovation. Until the end of the 19th century, peasants managed the old fashioned way: with a spoon and hands.

The fork became truly popular only after the revolution thanks to catering, where everyone was given not only a spoon, but also a fork.

By the way, what about the spoon? Is her story boring and mundane? In no case! A spoon is not only a cutlery, but also a kind of “magic wand”. About her next time.

Interesting Facts

The set of equipment of the German soldier during the Second World War included a combined spoon-fork. Connected by a rivet, the devices could rotate freely and be fixed in one line.

+1

A traditional English song Oh, my darling Clementine

Oh, My Darling Clementine
/
Lyrics
Main Results
Oh my darling, oh my darling
Oh my darling, Clementine
You are lost and gone forever
Dreadful sorrow, Clementine
In a cavern, in a canyon
Excavating for a mine
Dwelt a miner forty-niner
And his daughter, Clementine
Yes I loved her, how I loved her
Though her shoes were number nine
Herring boxes, without topses
Sandals were for Clementine
Drove the horses to the water
Every morning just at nine
Hit her foot against a splinter
Fell into the foaming brine
Ruby lips above the water
Blowing bubbles soft and fine
But alas, I was no swimmer
So I lost my Clementine

Listen here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ebyiyntVQNM

+2

A traditional English song “Oh, my darling Clementine “

=Spoiler написал(а):

+2

(Bicycle Built for Two)

Daisy, Daisy
Give me your answer, do!
I'm half-crazy
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

There is a flower within my heart
Daisy, Daisy
Planted there by a glancing dart
Planted by Daisy Bell
Whether she loves me or loves me not
Sometimes it's hard to tell
But I am willing to cast my lot
With beautiful Daisy Bell

Daisy, Daisy
Give me your answer, do!
I'm half-crazy
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

Music

+2

https://i.imgur.com/d43e44Nm.jpg

Смотреть: «Гамлет» (Hamlet) — художественный фильм режиссёра Лоренса Оливье, экранизация одноименной трагедии Уильяма Шекспира., 1948 год (на английском языке)

https://i.imgur.com/OiNeavNm.jpg

+1

https://i.imgur.com/Q2HZJ2Sm.jpg

“Ever bike? Now that's something that makes life worth living!...Oh, to just grip your handlebars and lay down to it, and go ripping and tearing through streets and road, over railroad tracks and bridges, threading crowds, avoiding collisions, at twenty miles or more an hour, and wondering all the time when you're going to smash up. Well, now, that's something! And then go home again after three hours of it...and then to think that tomorrow I can do it all over again!”

― Jack London

https://i.imgur.com/JKEReUDm.jpg
The Bay Trail is an incredible and ambitious project by an area that loves the great outdoors. With over 350 miles of trail, this treasure provides safe paths for pedestrians, cyclists, runners, skaters, wheelchair users, and more to explore the Bay Area. The trails run all throughout San Francisco and Oakland, and reach all the way up to Napa and down to Palo Alto. They circle the Bay to provide incredible views of the water and an oasis of nature from the city.
Fourth Street East is near a number of accesses to different parts of the trail, and while we don’t recommend biking all 350 miles at once, we’re ideally located to start exploring different trail sections and get to know this underrated outdoor adventure. Check out our full guide to biking in Oakland.
Here are three routes, for all levels of biking experience, you to get started with exploring this fantastic trail system with Fourth Street East as your home base.
ROUTE 1 (EASY): THE WATERFRONT CRUISE (5 MILES ROUND TRIP)
The Bay Trail has a section starting at Jack London Square that goes along the waterfront for about 2.5 miles. This paved, off-road trail gives a scenic view of the Bay and ends at Union Point Park. At this point, you can turn around and celebrate your cycling afternoon at a Jack London Square restaurant.
We love this route because it’s easy to get to from Fourth Street East — a three-block ride down Oak Street puts you right on it. It’s a casual ride perfect for enjoying the neighborhood around your building.
ROUTE 2 (MODERATE): THE BAY BRIDGE RIDE (18 MILES ROUND TRIP)
The Bay Trail goes partially over the Bay Bridge, and there are plans to build out the rest of the trail so you can bike over the entire Bay Bridge. Currently, parts of this trail is restricted to weekend and holiday usage due to construction, but it’s a great trip that gives you access to a few different viewpoints and Treasure Island. The trail is paved the whole way. This trip is 9 miles each way, so you should plan to be biking for about two hours and bring water and snacks. There are not a lot of places to stop and pick something up if you need it.
Start at Fourth Street East, take 3rd street towards the Bay Bridge, then use Mandela Parkway to switch to 7th street. Turn right on Maritime Street and look for Burma Road, which takes you right to the access point for the Bay Bridge trail. From there, it’s a straightforward ride along the bridge with magnificent water views. Once you reach the Treasure Island area, you can turn around and do it again backwards to come back to Fourth Street East.
What we like about this trail is the ability to really appreciate the beauty of the Bay Bridge and the Bay itself — when we’re driving across in traffic, we’re too stressed to notice.
ROUTE 3: (ADVANCED): RIDE TO POINT PINOLE (36 MILES TOTAL)
The Bay Trail can take you all the way to Point Pinole from an access on 3rd street just a few blocks away from Fourth Street East. Mind you, this is an 18 mile ride each way, so if you are not prepared for three to four hours in the saddle, you might want to arrange for a pickup at the end point.
A lot of this trail is paved, but some parts are gravel or dirt paths, so you will want to bring out your hybrid or mountain bike for this one.
Point Pinole is worth the trouble — this peaceful, overlooked park and shoreline is less developed than the rest of the waterfront, so you get to enjoy the grasses, flowers, and trees. It’s a hidden oasis just outside our city with some gorgeous mountain views. There is also a fishing pier where you can just enjoy the water or perhaps fish if you strapped a rod to your bicycle.

“Growing, ripening, aging, dying — the passing of time is predestined, inevitable.
“There is only one solution if old age is not to be an absurd parody of our former life, and that is to go on pursuing ends that give our existence a meaning — devotion to individuals, to groups or to causes, social, political, intellectual or creative work… In old age we should wish still to have passions strong enough to prevent us turning in on ourselves. One’s life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation, compassion.”—Simone de Beauvoir in “The Coming of Age.”

Batik of Java: A Centuries Old Tradition

Step by step

https://i.imgur.com/zDs63Pmm.jpg
A painstakingly reconstructed replica of one of the five ships
from explorer Ferdinand Magellan’s expedition to circumnavigate the globe has docked in Greenport.

The ship’s visit is part of Tall Ships America, a nonprofit program founded in the 1970s to promote sailing instruction and tall ships.

=Spoiler написал(а):

https://i.imgur.com/zDs63Pm.jpg

The original Nao Trinidad was the flagship of the famous expedition that set sail from Seville, Spain, in 1519 and included the Nao San Antonio, the Nao Concepcion, the Nao Victoria and the Nao Santiago, with a crew of nearly 300 men across all vessels. “Nao” is a medieval term for ship.

After three years and many calamities — including a failed mutiny and a massacre — only 18 men and one ship returned to Spain, after completing the first documented circumnavigation of the Earth. The journey of roughly 32,000 nautical miles was the first to prove that the globe could be circled by sea.

The five ships were given by Spain’s King Charles I to Magellan, a Portuguese explorer, who set sail with his fleet for the East Indies — and landed in what are now Indonesia’s Maluku Islands, then known as the “Spice Islands.”

The expedition sailed west from Spain, around the southern tip of South America and reached the Philippine islands, establishing a maritime trade route for Europe and linking Asia, Europe and the Americas together for the first time.

Magellan had initially proposed the expedition to King Manuel of Portugal, but was rejected, so he took it to King Charles of Spain, who bought in. Magellan’s decision to work with Spain angered the Portuguese monarch, who sent his own expedition of sailors to the Spice Islands to arrest Magellan for treason.

But the famous explorer was killed in battle in the Philippines in 1521, and the voyage home to Spain was completed by Spanish navigator Juan Sebastian Elcano helming the Nao Victoria.

The Trinidad made it to the Spice Islands in the East Indies, but a huge leak in the hull forced the crew to try to return to Spain for repairs. The Trinidad set out eastward, by the same route it came, with 54 men aboard, but was further damaged in storms. Only 17 members of the crew survived hunger, thirst and scurvy and returned to the Spice Islands. The Portuguese were waiting for them, though, and captured the remaining sailors, abandoning the badly damaged Trinidad to the ocean.

The Trinidad’s modern day replica was constructed over 14 months in 2017 and 2018, according to Marina Quesada, the ship’s project manager, and includes four masts, five sails and five decks, with a main mast that rises 82 feet in the air.

She said that while some modern machinery was used for cutting and sanding the ship’s hull, the master carpenters and shipbuilders who created the replica “used the same traditional methods and the same tools for the rope and sails that were used in the 16th century.”

Ms. Quesada said that this year, the Trinidad has visited the Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, Key West and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Wilmington, N.C., before making its way up the coast to Greenport.

She said that the ship can accommodate up to 2,500 visitors a day, and that most are enthralled by going down in the hold — where cargo, including food, wine and animals, was stored. There they watch a video about the construction of the replica ship.

Ms. Quesada said visitors are also “really amazed by the steering system, but I’ll wait for you to get here to see it for yourself.”

The replica of the Nao Trinidad will be docked at the East Pier of Greenport Harbor until June 25 and open to the public from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $5 for children and $35 for families with up to three children, and can be purchased at naotrinidad.org.

https://i.imgur.com/8tlkWqDm.jpg
Paper collage fascinates me. Most styles of quilting are a form of collage — putting together pieces of many different fabrics to build up a pattern or picture — but the limitations caused by the n…

https://i.imgur.com/e29z9hjm.jpg. https://i.imgur.com/machgVqm.jpg

=Spoiler написал(а):

Lyrics: My Yiddishe Mama (Short English Version)
Tom Jones, John Farnham

My Yiddishe Momme,
I miss her more than ever now.
My Yiddishe Momme, I'd longed
to kiss that wrinkled brow.
I long to hold her hand once more

as I did in the days gone by,
And beg her to forgive me for
things I did that made her cry.
How few were her pleasures,

she never cared for fashion's styles
Her jewels and her treasures,
she found them in her baby's smiles
And, I know that I owe everything

that I am today
To that wonderful lady so old and gray;
To that wonderful
Yiddishe Momme of mine.

=Spoiler написал(а):

Colorado blue columbine
Plant

https://i.imgur.com/x5eqKF3m.jpg. https://i.imgur.com/Np04Xuxm.jpg

Aquilegia coerulea, the Colorado blue columbine, is a species of flowering plant in the buttercup family Ranunculaceae, native to the Rocky Mountains, USA. Aquilegia coerulea is the state flower of Colorado. The Latin specific name coerulea means "sky blue".

Does Aquilegia caerulea like sun or shade?
https://i.imgur.com/nn7oy8Mm.jpg
Aquilegia caerulea

CareProvide full sun to partial shade and fertile, moist, well-drained soil. PropagationStarting with fresh seed, sow indoors in winter for spring germination.

https://i.imgur.com/PNvWG84m.jpg. https://i.imgur.com/fIpMhCfm.jpg

18" tall x 15" wide (seed propagated). Rocky Mountain Columbine is the state flower of Colorado and is treasured for its big blue and white flowers. A must for mountain gardeners, this plant is at its best in cool, higher altitude areas of the West. At lower elevations, place in cool shady beds that receive regular watering. Not recommended for hot, humid climates. Campanula rotundifolia makes a fine companion plant.

Aquilegia caerulea (Rocky Mountain Columbine) is planted for its beautiful blue and white flowers. Native to the higher elevations of the intermountain West, is best suited to mountain gardens and areas of the West with cool nights.

More here: https://www.gardenia.net/plant/aquilegi … -columbine

President Joe Biden wants insurers to pony up for mental health care, instead of forcing their subscribers to pay out of pocket. Today, he accused health insurance companies of failing to comply with a 2008 law that requires them to put mental health costs on the same footing as physical health ones. Up next, the administration will release the formal text of proposed regulations.

Pony up -

Footing -

Up next -

How Do Digital Hotel Keys Work? – A Quick Look

UPDATED April 1, 2022
by Albert Pike

https://i.imgur.com/Hq1IeMYm.jpg

Have you ever looked at your digital hotel card and wondered, “how do digital hotel keys work?” Well, you are not alone! Many travelers have marveled at the technology behind digital hotel keys and might think they are highly secured and perfect for the modern hotel landscape. However, the truth is that the popular digital hotel room key is quite outdated, and many hotels need to modernize their digital key systems.

This article will tackle the technology behind digital hotel keys, what you need to know about them to secure your key, and how this technology’s future looks.

The Technology Behind Digital Hotel Keys

The first question is, how do digital hotel keys work? Well, most hotel keys these days use plastic cards that have a magnetic stripe on them. These keys contain the basic information of the hotel guest, particularly which room they are staying in.

Once you check-in, the hotel personnel will input your user information in the digital hotel key card, including your room number and how long your stay will be. The door lock in the corresponding room will then read the key card information, verify the information with the hotel’s server, and unlock the room for you.

Besides your room, hotels with digital keys may program your keycard to be accessible to other common areas in the hotel, such as the gym, spa, or a business center. Suppose the room has amenities that require additional payments. In that case, the staff inside can use your digital hotel key to automatically charge the services to your bill so that you won’t need to worry about carrying cash around. Some hotels will restrict a guest’s access to only their floor to ensure that all the guests are afforded peace and privacy as much as possible.

Home - Hotel Advice

How Do Digital Hotel Keys Work? - A Quick Look
Have you ever looked at your digital hotel card and wondered, “how do digital hotel keys work?” Well, you are not alone! Many travelers have marveled at the technology behind digital hotel keys and might think they are highly secured and perfect for the modern hotel landscape. However, the truth is that the popular digital hotel room key is quite outdated, and many hotels need to modernize their digital key systems.

This article will tackle the technology behind digital hotel keys, what you need to know about them to secure your key, and how this technology’s future looks.

The Technology Behind Digital Hotel Keys

The first question is, how do digital hotel keys work? Well, most hotel keys these days use plastic cards that have a magnetic stripe on them. These keys contain the basic information of the hotel guest, particularly which room they are staying in.

Once you check-in, the hotel personnel will input your user information in the digital hotel key card, including your room number and how long your stay will be. The door lock in the corresponding room will then read the key card information, verify the information with the hotel’s server, and unlock the room for you.

Besides your room, hotels with digital keys may program your keycard to be accessible to other common areas in the hotel, such as the gym, spa, or a business center. Suppose the room has amenities that require additional payments. In that case, the staff inside can use your digital hotel key to automatically charge the services to your bill so that you won’t need to worry about carrying cash around. Some hotels will restrict a guest’s access to only their floor to ensure that all the guests are afforded peace and privacy as much as possible.

Common Types of Digital Hotel Keys

There are generally three types of digital hotel keys: magnetic stripe cards, RFID cards, and smart cards.

Magnetic Stripe Cards

This technology is the oldest type of digital hotel key. It is still in use in many large hotels because it is affordable and easy to integrate into any existing system. But how do digital hotel keys work, especially in this type of key? The magnetic stripe card typically needs to be swiped through a magnetic reader to complete the verification process, and the guest is granted access. However, there are two major problems with magnetic stripe cards. First, the information inside the card is not very secured. Many hotels have had issues with guests complaining that their magnetic stripe card is not working. Second, magnetic stripe cards tend to fade quickly, or the striped surface can get scratched. Either way, this will result in your card not being read by the magnetic card reader.

RFID Cards

RFID cards are also known as proximity cards because they don’t require the same swiping motion as magnetic stripe cards. Instead, these cards use radio frequencies to give guests access. Even simply placing your card close to the reader is enough to allow the terminal to “read” the information stored in the card and give you access to the hotel room or other amenities.

Smart Cards

This is the newest type of technology for hotels with digital keys. They are durable and can store a lot of information about a guest, making them perfect for guests with loyalty programs. Instead of the data being stored inside the card, these cards have microchips that interface with the hotel’s main guest registration system to store all the information stored in the hotel database. Typically, smart cards are reusable because they can be reprogrammed for each new guest. While this technology might be expensive initially, many hotels consider them as an investment so that they don’t have to keep buying new digital card keys.

Busting The Most Common Digital Hotel Key Myth

Many people mistakenly believe that their digital hotel keys contain their financial information since many hotels allow people to use their key cards to charge amenities and additional purchases to their rooms. Well, they don’t; however, a majority of key cards – especially magnetic stripe and RFID cards contain the following:

Guest check-in date
Guest check-out date
Guest number (if applicable to hotel system)
Room number
The main reason that hotels will not put any more sensitive information on hotel key cards is to prevent misuse. Imagine the problems that you will face if you lose your key card (a common mistake), and some other guests will use it to rack up charges! What’s worse, what if that hotel guest gains access to your room? While digital hotel keys are not immune to misuse, hotels will still minimize the amount of information on your card to prevent these instances as much as possible.

The Future of Digital Hotel Key Cards

Now that you know how do digital hotel keys work, you might also have noticed that more and more hotels are moving away from using them. Many hotels are now shifting to allow guests to use their own mobile phones as their digital key cards!

Once a guest checks in, they will receive a unique code from the hotel management to use around the hotel. Alternatively, they can also download the official hotel app (if the hotel has one) and receive their digital key card information on the app. However, this method is still infrequently used, and you’ll generally only see it in the most expensive or luxurious hotels. Find out more about hotel tricks.

Conclusion

So, how do digital hotel keys work? The answer will depend on the technology on the cards. They can range from an old technology (magnetic stripe) or the newest one (mobile phones). However, it will be a long time before using mobile phone technology for digital hotel keys will become the norm, so you can still expect to encounter magnetic stripe or RFID cards for the foreseeable future.

https://i.imgur.com/rCRxRZ0m.jpg

The Early Years

Let’s talk about being Inspired. Young Jim Bishop in 1959 at the ripe old age of 15 paid four hundred and fifty dollars for a two and a half acre parcel of land enclosed on three sides by the majestic San Isabel National Forest in southern Colorado. It was money saved from mowing lawns, throwing newspapers, and working with his father Willard in the family ornamental iron works. Jim had dropped out of high school that year over an argument from his English teacher who yelled at him “You’ll never amount to anything Jim Bishop!” Ever since he was a boy, Jim was powerfully drawn up towards the mountains visible to the west from Pueblo, and having found a small 2-1/2 acre parcel one weekend on a bicycle journey with some friends, convinced his parents to buy it for him with his money. So Willard and ma Polly signed for the land deal which Jim wasn’t even old enough to do himself, and the family now had a heavily forested two and a half acres at 9000 feet. Jim and his dad spent the next ten summers camping out on the land and doing the groundwork for a family cabin on the site. Setting the stage for what was to come, Jim soon learned that he really enjoyed swinging an axe and wielding a shovel or pick in building their clearing with a drive up to it, which is now the court-yard between the family cabin and the castle itself with it’s driveway. It was in 1967 that Jim and Phoebe got married, a union they still enjoy to this day, and in 1969 at the age of twenty-five, Jim decided it was time to start building a cabin in the mountains they so loved. Since rocks were plentiful, everywhere, and free, he chose to start building a one room stone cottage…

The Birth of a Castle

https://i.imgur.com/IR37cU4m.jpg

Snow doesn’t melt completely at 9000 feet usually until the middle of May, sometimes even into June, so the summer building season is a short one, especially when you’re dealing with mortar which cannot freeze while it’s drying. There’s only so much that can be done in a couple months while still working in the ornamental iron shop to support the family. Jim started building his cabin, and after a while Jim and Willard started trading off two week stints, one at the shop running the business and one up the mountain working on the family cabin. This lasted until the late spring of 1971, when the problem of getting running water into the cabin arose. Willard suggesting putting in a large metal tank that he had salvaged from a welding job to be a gravity fed cistern that they’d have to have filled once or twice a summer. Jim thought it’d be functional, and construction began on the water tank. It is a 40 foot metal cylinder which Willard surrounded with stonework. Jim continued to build his cottage, and the walls grew. Throughout the summer, family friends, a couple local ranchers, and even some family members commented that it looked like they were building a castle! “Hey Jim! That looks like a turret or something!” “What are you building, a castle?!” Jim heard that enough times that by the time late spring 1972 rolled around, his imagination had been stirred something fierce, and Mr. Jim Bishop started telling friends and family that he was in fact going to be building a castle! When Willard first heard this, he stated as a matter of fact that castles tended to be pretty huge and that he wasn’t going to have anything to do with it! “That’s just too much work!” Jim kept right on building, and the construction that began as a one room stone cottage with an Eiffel Tower shaped fireplace gave birth to this country’s, and maybe even the world’s, largest one man project ~ The Bishop Castle.

It Just Keeps On Growing!
As the castle grew, so did word of the guy up in the mountains who was pursuing the American Dream ~ to be King of your own Castle! People came to visit more and more often, and Jim would often be asked if he wanted help building his castle. For the first eight years, the answer was always Sure! And in those eight years, not a single person ever kept their word and showed up to help. In a fit of cynical frustration, Jim vowed that “By God, I’ve gotten this far by myself. If you’re going to do something right, do it yourself!” (and probably another thing or two that really shouldn’t be printed) So like the castle itself, the idea of the castle being a one man project was born in the process of the doing and was not an original intention or a childhood dream like many people think. And he kept building. And building. And the Bishop Castle grew…

Other Discoveries Along the Way
Many of the features of the Bishop Castle were discovered intuitively or stumbled upon as the building unfolded. Some would even say “Suggested Themselves”. In the process of the castle building, Jim discovered that he also really enjoyed building his body too. He even set up an old army wall tent in the clearing, where he would workout with weights for a couple of hours in the evenings after having built with stone and mortar all day! As he became increasingly involved in the weight lifting regime physically, he also discovered that realm of mind where his principles in building could also be applied to his life ~ balance in everything! This became an ideal he strove for in this proving of himself, through his stonework, his body, and in his mind. It was through this approach that Jim soon realized that he would find himself completely visualizing what he could build next and how it would all fit together on such a large scale. There are no plans, blueprints or drawings other than the one Jim did to illustrate his book “Castle Building from my point of view”. The more Jim experienced massive wonder himself about how certain features lined up or fell into place is when he started suspecting that maybe something “more” was going on, that maybe it was the Creator of All Things working through him in this magnificent endeavor that seemed to have a spirit of it’s own. Jim started describing the Bishop Castle as “Built by One Man with the Help of God.” There’s really no other way to explain it!. And it kept growing…

Feats of Strength
In order to pursue the totality of what he could visualize, Jim employed anything and everything that was available to him. He had apprenticed and then mastered with his father in the family’s Bishop Ornamental Iron shop welding and scroll bending and learning how things fit together for most of his life. Jim did everything ~ hauling rock from the state highway ditches, felling timber and then milling it into lumber, building railroad ties into forms for his arches, (he’s used the same form over and over), building scaffolding as he went. He hand dug holes up to 12 feet deep for the foundations, mixed all his own mortar, carried it, usually up, to wherever he was working, created and rigged complex systems of pulleys and come-alongs to hoist such things as tree trunks for the floor supports, and stone by stone his dreams were being made manifest. Jim handles each and every stone in the castle on average of SIX TIMES !!!before it rests in it’s final configuration in this massive re-organizing of the scattered granite in the Rocky Mountains into the form of the Bishop Castle.

Structural Ornaments
The beginning of the square tower on the south side of the main keep saw the first massive use of ironwork in the construction. Up until then Jim had incorporated his ironwork as window frames, stairs, and the purely ornamental. Now his use of iron and steel became structural, with a core frame for the tower starting from it’s foundations. The rock work formed around this base and created such strength that Jim had no fear contemplating the heights that the tower might one day climb to. Wooden forms soon gave way to ornamental iron forms in the arches of the second floor, some of the most incredible examples of precision geometry found in the castle. And the most magnificent feature of all, the inner roof support trusses and the main central arch which are so detailed yet so massively functional that they boggle the mind that this is the work of one pair of hands. Everywhere one looks something will boggle the mind, such as the fact that the hand railing going up the S.W. corner, named Roy’s Tower, with all of it’s bizarre twists and turns, was hammered cold into it’s highly custom shape!

The Dream Defined
Over the years as the castle grew, more and more people heard about this phenomenon up in the mountains and began showing up in increasing numbers. Friends told Jim that he should be making some money off what was becoming an attraction! Jim felt differently though ~ he hated it when he was a kid and couldn’t go to the zoo or the ballpark because admission for the whole family was too high for a bunch of working class folks. Seeing as the original idea for a castle came from people visiting the property, Jim figured that if people were welcomed onto the property FOR FREE then he could put out a donation box and people could put in there what they felt comfortable putting in there. The honor system would be the financier! This increased Jim’s feeling of the castle truly being a place of American Freedom. He felt like he worked hard enough down in Pueblo to support the family that he would build as much as the visitors provided for. This has frustrated him at times over the years, wanting to build larger items such as an elevator and not having the funds to do so, but he feels so strongly about the dream being kept intact that he’s even written into legal documents that the Bishop Castle will always remain free as long as it stands. This belief in America being a Free Country made up of Free Persons has fueled his passions in building the castle to represent the American Dream in an undeniably tangible and awe inspiring form!

Financial Mechanics of Building
After eight painstaking years of paperwork without the aid of a lawyer, Jim’s wife Phoebe accomplished what many had told her was impossible on her own. In 1984 she received a 501(c)3 non-profit charter from the IRS which allowed her to create the Bishop Castle Non-Profit Charitable Foundation for New-Born Heart Surgery. This formalized the castle’s ability to setup and maintain a donation box on the premises through which the construction is funded. Phoebe also created the first gift shop on the premises in a one room log cabin that the family had built directly across the courtyard from the castle which she then operated for 13 years. It was through the proceeds of the gift shop and the donation box that materials were purchased for the continued construction, and though the management of the gift shop has now changed hands twice since Phoebe decided to stop doing it herself, the gift shop and the donation box are still the primary sources of funding for the construction of the Bishop Castle. The charity that the family set up is designed to financially help local families with medical expenses for young children that aren’t covered by insurance. Even though the IRS told the Bishops that they weren’t required to make any donations through the charity until the castle was completed, they have managed the Charity for New-Born Heart Surgery in such a way that numerous donations have been made over the years. They feel like they probably have the only charitable foundation in these United States that was created and maintained by working folks!

Enter The Dragon
In the mid 1980’s, a friend of Jim’s was driving a truck full of discarded stainless steel warming plates from the Pueblo County Hospital to the landfill. He decided that Jim could probably put this motherload of expensive stainless steel to better use than the dump could, so dropped it off at the Bishop Ornamental Iron Shop instead. Jim spent the winter building a chimney out of the steel, riveting thousands of hammered “scales” that he had cut out of the plates together around a steel frame. The dragon was completed in the spring and Jim hauled it up the mountain to tackle the daunting task of raising and installing this incredible sculpture to where it rests today perched off of the front of the Grand Ballroom eighty feet in the air! Later on came the addition of a burner from a hot air balloon (that was donated!) which Jim put in the back of the dragons throat, making it a true Fire Breathing Dragon!

Unimaginable Heights Reached
Jim is often told that he must not be afraid of heights! The way he figures it, he began at the bedrock base of the earth and has been gradually building up, so gradual that as the height grew, he was as comfortable with it as with being on the ground. The feeling has to be a lot like the difference between seeing a child growing up every day and not seeing them for a year at a time. One is hardly noticeable and the other striking in it’s effect. Jim’s experience with the castle has been so intimate, (he’s held EVERY SINGLE STONE IN THERE ON AN AVERAGE OF SIX TIMES), that he’s grown stone by stone as well and doesn’t mind the heights at all. In 1994 Jim reached a point with the square Andreatta tower, named after the family that donated the old school bells that hang in it, where he felt satisfied that it was high enough. That didn’t last long, as in 1995 he built and installed a thirty foot tall steel steeple on top of the masonry, taking the total height to roughly One-Hundred and Sixty Feet! That’s about the size of a 16 story building! Jim has remained satisfied with the overall height of his castle to the present, though he’s recently been threatening to build one of the corner outer wall towers to 250 feet because a local zoning official told him he couldn’t build over 25 and he just added a zero.

As It Stands
Today’s visitors to the Bishop Castle will find an impressively monumental statue in stone and iron that cries loud testament to the beauty and glory of not only Having a Dream, but Sticking with your Dream no matter what, and most importantly, that if you do believe in yourself and strive to maintain that belief, anything can happen! Three full stories of interior rooms complete with a Grand Ballroom, soaring towers and bridges with vistas of a hundred miles, and a Fire-Breathing Dragon make the Bishop Castle quite the unforgettable experience! Visitors are always welcome FREE of charge, and the castle itself is always OPEN. Please respect this trust and honor while visiting!