"КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

English pages for children. English pages for everyone.

Сообщений 321 страница 340 из 582

English pages for children. English pages for everyone.

http://s9.uploads.ru/t/WO1E5.jpg
Babs Bell (Bishop) Hajdusiewicz and her books

Bestselling author Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz, Ms.Ed. is the author of more than 100 books and 350 poems for children, including: Don’t Go Out in Your Underwear!; Phonics through Poetry: Teaching Phonemic Awareness Using Poetry; MORE Phonics through Poetry: Teaching Phonemic Awareness Using Poetry; Rhythm & Rhyme Reader Series; Questions and Answers Series; Jacks and More Jacks, Words! Words! Words!; Words and More Words. She is also author of Steppingstone Stories Series; Peaceful Me and Sometimes I Feel Happy, Sometimes I Feel Sad; three Poetry Works! collections for early childhood through intermediate grades; middle-grades biography Mary Carter Smith: African-American Storyteller; and the Dainty Dinosaur Series.

Hajdusiewicz stars in the Wright Group staff-development video Developing Oral Language and Phonemic Awareness through Rhythm and Rhyme. She has written numerous children's stories, articles for teachers and parents, and has contributed to and edited many elementary textbooks.

An educator for 40 years, Hajdusiewicz taught early childhood, elementary, and special education at all levels, served school districts in Indiana and Michigan as director of special education, and taught graduate and undergraduate education courses at Eastern Michigan and Cleveland State Universities. She founded Booking the Future: Reader to Reader™, a community-involvement literacy program that placed books in the hands and homes of more than 16,000 four, five, and six year olds, and Pee Wee Poetry™, a language development program for children aged two through nine. Hajdusiewicz is a frequent conference keynoter for educators and parents and a popular visiting author in schools across the country and abroad.

Specialties: Poetry for kids; humor; parenting for literacy; school staff development; author of numerous classroom materials; emphasis on phonemic awareness before phonics instruction; building love of learning from infancy onward

(Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz живет и работает в Атланте, штат Джорджия. Она написала более 100 книг и 350 стишков для детей. Своими книгами она предоставляет советы, консультации и материал для воспитателей, чтобы они чувствовали себя уверенно в том, что они помогают детям в период их раннего развития и становления их устной речи. Учителя английского языка могут использовать стихи для изучения языка в целом. Родители могут читать эти нехитрые стихи своим детям и помогать им изучать английский язык.)

http://www.womenclub.ru/components/com_jce/editor/tiny_mce/plugins/lines/img/lines_bg.png

Здесь также:
города и страны
политика и политики
песни из мульфильмов
видео на английском языке
тексты песен и сами песни известных исполнителей
интересные рассказы и стихи в оригинале для детей и взрослых
новости на английском языке
It's an old Middleton family recipe.
16 Hosting Rules Kate Middleton Never Breaks
Prince Philip to retire from public duties at age of 96
Quotes about Life
etc

+1

Herbert George Wells
THE INVISIBLE MAN

CHAPTER XXV

THE HUNTING OF THE INVISIBLE MAN

For a space Kemp was too inarticulate to make Adye understand the swift things that had just happened. They stood on the landing, Kemp speaking hurriedly, the grotesque swathings of Griffin still on his arm. But presently Adye began to grasp something of the situation.

“He is mad,” said Kemp; “inhuman. He is pure selfishness. He thinks of nothing but his own advantage, his own safety. I have listened to such a story this morning of brutal self–seeking… He has wounded men. He will kill them unless we can prevent him. He will create a panic. Nothing can stop him. He is going out now— furious!”

“He must be caught,” said Adye. “That is certain.”

“But how?” cried Kemp, and suddenly became full of ideas. “You must begin at once; you must set every available man to work; you must prevent his leaving this district. Once he gets away he may go through the countryside as he wills, killing and maiming. He dreams of a reign of terror! A reign of terror, I tell you. You must set a watch on trains and roads and shipping. The garrison must help. You must wire for help. The only thing that may keep him here is the thought of recovering some books of notes he counts of value. I will tell you of that! There is a man in your police station—Marvel.”

“I know,” said Adye, “I know. Those books—yes. But the tramp…”

“Says he hasn’t them. But he thinks the tramp has. And you must prevent him from eating or sleeping—day and night the country must be astir for him. Food must be locked up and secured, all food, so that he will have to break his way to it. The houses everywhere must be barred against him. Heaven send us cold nights and rain! The whole countryside must begin hunting and keep hunting. I tell you, Adye, he is a danger, a disaster. Unless he is pinned down and secured, it is frightful to think of the things that may happen.”

“What else can we do?” said Adye. “I must go down at once and begin organising. But why not come? Yes—you come too! Come, and we must hold a sort of council of war—get Hopps to help—and the railway managers. By Jove! it’s urgent. Come along—tell me as we go. What else is there we can do? Put that stuff down.”

In another moment Adye was leading the way downstairs. They found the front door open and the policemen standing outside staring at empty air. “He’s got away, sir,” said one.

“We must go to the central station at once,” said Adye. “One of you go on down and get a cab to come up and meet us—quickly. And now, Kemp, what else?”

“Dogs,” said Kemp. “Get dogs. They don’t see him, but they wind him. Get dogs.”

“Good,” said Adye. “It’s not generally known, but the prison officials over at Halstead know a man with bloodhounds. Dogs. What else?”

“Bear in mind,” said Kemp, “his food shows. After eating, his food shows until it is assimilated. So that he has to hide after eating. You must keep on beating.[1] Every thicket, every quiet corner. And put all weapons—all implements that might be weapons, away. He can’t carry such things for long. And what he can snatch up and strike men with must be hidden away.”

“Good again,” said Adye. “We shall have him yet!”

“And on the roads—” said Kemp, and hesitated.

“Yes?” said Adye.

“Powdered glass,” said ’Kemp. “It’s cruel, I know. But think of what he may do!”

Adye drew the air in between his teeth sharply. “It’s unsportsmanlike. I don’t know. But I’ll have powdered glass got ready. If he goes too far…”

“The man’s become inhuman, I tell you,” said Kemp. “I am as sure he will establish a reign of terror—so soon as he has got over the emotions of this escape—as I am sure I am talking to you. Our only chance is to be ahead. He has cut himself off from his kind. His blood be upon his own head.”

CHAPTER XXVI

THE WICKSTEED MURDER

The Invisible Man seems to have rushed out of Kemp’s house in a state of blind fury. A little child playing near Kemp’s gateway was violently caught up and thrown aside, so that its ankle was broken—and thereafter for some hours he passed out of human perceptions. No one knows where he went nor what he did. But one can imagine him hurrying through the hot June forenoon, up the hill and on to the open downland behind Port Burdock, raging and despairing at his intolerable fate, and sheltering at last, heated and weary, amid the thickets of Hintondean, to piece together again his shattered schemes against his species. That seems the most probable refuge for him, for there it was he reasserted himself in a grimly tragical manner about two in the afternoon.

One wonders what his state of mind may have been[1] during that time and what plans he devised. No doubt he was almost ecstatically exasperated by Kemp’s treachery, and though we may be able to understand the motives that led to that deceit, we may still imagine, and even sympathise a little with the fury the attempted surprise must have occasioned. Perhaps something of the stunned astonishment of his Oxford Street experiences may have returned to him, for evidently he had counted on Kemp’s co–operation in his brutal dream of a terrorised world. At any rate, he vanished from human ken[2] about midday, and no living witness can tell what he did until about half–past two. It was a fortunate thing, perhaps, for humanity, but for him it was a fatal inaction.

During that time a growing multitude of men scattered over the countryside were busy. In the morning he had still been simply a legend, a terror; in the afternoon, by virtue chiefly of Kemp’s dryly worded proclamation, he was presented as a tangible antagonist, to be wounded, captured, or overcome, and the countryside began organising itself with inconceivable rapidity. By two o’clock even, he might still have removed himself out of the district by getting aboard a train, but after two that became impossible, every passenger train along the lines, on a great parallelogram between Southampton, Winchester, Brighton and Horsham, travelled with locked doors, and the goods traffic was almost entirely suspended. And in a great circle of twenty miles round Port Burdock men armed with guns and bludgeons were presently setting out in groups of three and four, with dogs, to beat roads and fields.

Mounted policemen rode along the country lanes, stopping at every cottage and warning the people to lock up their houses and keep indoors unless they were armed, and all the elementary schools had broken up by three o’clock, and the children, scared and keeping together in groups, were hurrying home. Kemp’s proclamation—signed, indeed, by Adye—was posted over almost the whole district by four or five o’clock in the afternoon. It gave briefly but clearly all the conditions of the struggle, the necessity of keeping the Invisible Man from food and sleep, the necessity for incessant watchfulness, and for a prompt attention to any evidence of his movements. And so swift and decided was the action of the authorities, so prompt and universal was the belief in this strange being, that before nightfall an area of several hundred square miles was in a stringent state of siege. And before nightfall, too, a thrill of horror went through the whole watching, nervous countryside, and going from whispering mouth to mouth, swift and certain over the length and breadth of the country passed the story of the murder of Mr. Wicksteed.

If our supposition that the Invisible Man’s refuge was the Hintondean thickets is correct, then we must suppose that in the early afternoon he sallied out again, bent upon some project that involved the use of a weapon. We cannot know what the project was, but the evidence that he had the iron rod in his hand before he met Wicksteed is to me, at least, overwhelming.

Of course we can know nothing of the details of that encounter. It occurred on the edge of a gravel pit, not two hundred yards from Lord Burdock’s lodge gate.[3] Everything points to a desperate struggle—the trampled ground, the numerous wounds Mr. Wicksteed received, his splintered walking–stick—but why the attack was made, save in a murderous frenzy, it is impossible to imagine. Indeed, the theory of madness is almost unavoidable. Mr. Wicksteed was a man of forty–five or forty–six, steward to Lord Burdock, of inoffensive habits and appearance, and the very last person in the world to provoke such a terrible antagonist. Against him it would seem the Invisible Man used an iron rod, dragged from a piece of broken fence. He stopped this quiet man, going quietly home to his midday meal, attacked him, beat down his feeble defences, broke his arm, felled him, and smashed his head to a jelly.

Of course, he must have dragged this rod out of the fencing, before he met his victim—he must have been carrying it ready in his hand. Only two details beyond what has already been stated seem to bear on the matter.[4] One is the circumstance that the gravel–pit was not in Mr. Wicksteed’s direct path home, but nearly a couple of hundred yards out of his way. The other is the assertion of a little girl, to the effect that going to her afternoon school she saw the murdered man "trotting" in a peculiar manner across a field towards the gravel–pit. Her pantomime of his action suggests a man pursuing something on the ground before him and striking at it ever and again with his walking–stick. She was the last person to see him alive. He passed out of her sight to his death, the struggle being hidden from her only by a clump of beech trees and a slight depression in the ground.

Now this, to the present writer’s mind at least, certainly lifts the murder out of the realm of the absolutely wanton.[5] We may imagine that Griffin had taken the rod as a weapon indeed, but without any deliberate intention of using it to murder. Wicksteed may then have come by and noticed this rod inexplicably moving through the air. Without any thought of the Invisible Man—for Port Burdock is ten miles away—he may have pursued it. It is quite conceivable that he may not even have heard of the Invisible Man. One can, then, imagine the Invisible Man making off quietly in order to avoid discovering his presence in the neighbourhood, and Wicksteed, excited and curious, pursuing this unaccountably locomotive object,[7] finally striking at it.

No doubt the Invisible Man could easily have distanced his middle–aged pursuer under ordinary circumstances, but the position in which Wicksteed’s body was found suggests that he had the ill–luck to drive his quarry into a corner between a drift of stinging nettles and the gravel–pit. To those who appreciate the extraordinary irascibility of the Invisible Man the rest of the encounter will be easy to imagine.

But this is a pure hypothesis. The only undeniable facts—for stories of children are often unreliable—are the discovery of Wicksteed’s body, done to death, and of the blood–stained iron rod flung among the nettles. The abandonment of the rod by Griffin suggests that in the emotional excitement of the affair the purpose for which he took it—if he had a purpose—was abandoned. He was certainly an intensely egotistical and unfeeling man, but the sight of his victim, his first victim, bloody and pitiful at his feet, may have released some long–pent fountain of remorse to flood for a time whatever scheme of action he had contrived.

After the murder of Mr. Wicksteed, he would seem to have struck across the country[7] towards the downland. There is a story of a voice heard about sunset by a couple of men in a field near Fern Bottom. It was wailing and laughing, sobbing and groaning, and ever and again it shouted. It must have been queer hearing. It drove up across the middle of a clover field and died away towards the hills.

In the interim the Invisible Man must have learnt something of the rapid use Kemp had made of his confidences. He must have found houses locked and secured, he may have loitered about railway stations and prowled about inns, and no doubt he read the proclamations and realised something of the nature of the campaign against him. And as the evening advanced the fields became dotted here and there with groups of three or four men, and noisy with the yelping of dogs. These men–hunters had particular instructions in the case of an encounter as to the way they should support one another. But he avoided them all. We may understand something of his exasperation, and it could have been none the less because he himself had supplied the information that was being used so remorselessly against him. For that day at least he lost heart; for nearly twenty–four hours, save when he turned on Wicksteed, he was a hunted man. In the night he must have eaten and slept, for in the morning he was himself again, active, powerful, angry and malignant, prepared for his last great struggle against the world.

CHAPTER XXVII

THE SIEGE OF KEMP’S HOUSE

Kemp read a strange missive, written in pencil on a greasy sheet of paper.

“You have been amazingly energetic and clever,” this letter ran, “though what you stand to gain by it[1] I cannot imagine. You are against me. For a whole day you have chased me—you have tried to rob me of a night’s rest. But I have had food in spite of you, I have slept in spite of you, and the game is only beginning. The game is only beginning. There is nothing for it but[2] to start the Terror. This announces the first day of the Terror. Port Burdock is no longer under the Queen, tell your Colonel of Police, and the rest of them; it is under me—the Terror! This is day one of year one of the new epoch—the Epoch of the Invisible Man. I am Invisible Man the First. To begin with, the rule will be easy. The first day there will be one execution for the sake of example—a man named Kemp. Death starts for him today. He may lock himself away, hide himself away, get guards about him, put on armour if he likes—Death, the unseen Death, is coming. Let him take precautions—it will impress my people. Death starts from the pillar–box[3] by midday. The letter will fall in as the postman comes along, then off! The game begins. Death starts. Help him not, my people, lest Death fall upon you also. To–day Kemp is to die.”

Kemp read this letter twice. “It’s no hoax,” he said. “That’s his voice! And he means it.”

He turned the folded sheet over and saw on the addressed side of the postmark Hintondean and the prosaic detail, “2d.[4] to pay.”

He got up slowly, leaving his lunch unfinished—the letter had come by the one o’clock post—and went into his study. He rang for his housekeeper, and told her to go round the house at once, examine all the fastenings of the windows, and close all the shutters. He closed the shutters of his study himself. From a locked drawer in his bedroom he took a little revolver, examined it carefully, and put it into the pocket of his lounge jacket. He wrote a number of brief notes, one to Colonel Adye, gave them to his servant to take, with explicit instructions as to her way of leaving the house. “There is no danger,” he said, and added a mental reservation,[5] “to you.” He remained meditative for a space after doing this, and then returned to his cooling lunch.

He ate with gaps of thought. Finally he struck the table sharply. “We will have him!” he said, “and I am the bait. He will come too far.”

He went up to the belvedere, carefully shutting every door after him. “It’s a game,” he said, “an odd game—but the chances are all for me, Mr. Griffin, in spite of your invisibility. And pluck. Griffin contra mundum…[6] with a vengeance!”

He stood at the window staring at the hot hillside. “He must get food every day—and I don’t envy him. Did he really sleep last night? Out in the open somewhere— secure from collisions. I wish we could get some good cold, wet weather instead of the heat.

“He may be watching me now.”

He went close to the window. Something rapped smartly against the brickwork over the frame, and made him start violently back.

“I’m getting nervous” said Kemp. But it was five minutes before he went to the window again. “It must have been a sparrow,” he said.

Presently he heard the front door bell ringing and hurried downstairs. He unbolted and unlocked the door, examined the chain, put it up, and opened cautiously without showing himself. A familiar voice hailed him. It was Adye. “Your servant’s’ been assaulted, Kemp,” he said round the door.

“What!” exclaimed Kemp.

“Had that note of yours taken away from her. He’s close about here. Let me in.”

Kemp released the chain, and Adye entered through as narrow an opening as possible. He stood in the hall, looking with infinite relief at Kemp refastening the door. “"Note was snatched out of her hand. Scared her horribly. She’s down at the station. Hysterics. He’s close here. What was it about?”

Kemp swore.

“What a fool I was!” said Kemp. “I might have known. It’s not an hour’s walk from Hintondean. Already!”

“What’s up?” said Adye.

“Look here!” said Kemp, and led the way into his study. He handed Adye the Invisible Man’s letter. Adye read it, and whistled softly. “And you—?” said Adye.

“Proposed a trap—like a fool,” said Kemp, “and sent my proposal out by a maidservant. To him.”

Adye followed Kemp’s profanity.[7]

“He’ll clear out,” said Adye.

“Not him,” said Kemp.

A resounding smash of glass came from upstairs. Adye had a silvery glimpse of a little revolver half out of Kemp’s pocket. “It’s a window upstairs!” said Kemp, and led the way up. There came a second smash while they were still on the staircase. When they reached the study they found two of the three windows smashed, half the room littered with splintered glass, and one big flint lying on the writing–table. The two men stopped in the doorway contemplating the wreckage. Kemp swore again, and as he did so the third window went with a snap like a pistol, hung starred for a moment, and collapsed in jagged, shivering triangles into the room.

“What’s this for?” said Adye.

“It’s a beginning,” said Kemp.

“There’s no way of climbing up here?”

“Not for a cat,” said Kemp.

“No shutters?”

“Not here. All the downstairs rooms—Hallo!”

Smash, and then the whack of boards hit hard came from downstairs. “Confound him!” said Kemp. “That must be—yes—it’s one of the bedrooms. He’s going to do all the house. But he’s a fool. The shutters are up and the glass will fall outside. He’ll cut his feet.”

Another window proclaimed its destruction. The two men stood on the landing perplexed.

“I have it!”[8] said Adye. “Let me have a stick or something, and ’I’ll go down to the station and get the bloodhounds put on. That ought to settle him!”

Another window went the way of its fellows.[9]

“You haven’t a revolver?” asked Adye.

Kemp’s hand went to his pocket. Then he hesitated. “I haven’t one—at least to spare.”

“I’ll bring it back,” said Adye. “You’ll be safe here.”

Kemp, ashamed of his momentary lapse from truthfulness,[10] handed him the weapon.

“Now for the door,” said Adye.

As they stood hesitating in the hall, they heard one of the first–floor bedroom windows crack and clash. Kemp went to the door and began to slip the bolts as silently as possible. His face was a little paler than usual.

“You must step straight out,” said Kemp.

In another moment Adye was on the doorstep and the bolts were dropping back into the staples. He hesitated for a moment, feeling more comfortable with his back against the door. Then he marched, upright and square, down the steps. He crossed the lawn and approached the gate. A little breeze seemed to ripple over the grass. Something moved near him.

“Stop a bit,” said a Voice, and Adye stopped dead,[11] and his hand tightened on the revolver.

“Well?” said Adye, white and grim, and every nerve tense.

“Oblige me by going back to the house,” said the Voice, as tense and grim as Adye’s.

“Sorry,” said Adye, a little hoarsely, and moistened his lips with his tongue. The voice was on his left front, he thought; suppose he were to take his luck with a shot.

“What are you going for?” said the Voice, and there was a quick movement of the two, and a flash of sunlight from the open lip of Adye’s pocket.

Adye desisted and thought. “Where I go,” he said slowly, “is my own business.” The words were still on his lips, when an arm came round his neck, his back felt a knee, and he was sprawling backward. He drew clumsily and fired absurdly, and in another moment he was struck in the mouth and the revolver wrested from his grip. He made a vain clutch at a slippery limb, tried to struggle up and fell back. “Damn!” said Adye. The Voice laughed.

“I’d kill you now if it wasn’t the waste of a bullet,” it said. He saw the revolver in mid–air, six feet off, covering him.

“Well?” said Adye, sitting up.

“Get up,” said the Voice.

Adye stood up.

“Attention!” said the Voice, and then firmly, “Don’t try any games. Remember I can see your face, if you can’t see mine. You’ve got to go back to the house.”

“He won’t let me in,” said Adye.

“That’s a pity,” said the Invisible Man. “I’ve got no quarrel with you.”

Adye moistened his lips again. He glanced away from the barrel of the revolver, and saw the sea far off, very blue and dark under the midday sun, the smooth green down, the white cliff of the head, and the multitudinous town, and suddenly he knew that life was very sweet. His eyes came back to this little metal thing hanging between heaven and earth, six yards away. “What am I to do?” he said sullenly.

“What am I to do?” asked the Invisible Man. “You will get help. The only thing is for you to go back.”

“I will try. If he lets me in will you promise not to rush the door?”

“I’ve got no quarrel with you,” said the Voice.

Kemp had hurried upstairs after letting Adye out, and now, crouching among the broken glass, and peering cautiously over the edge of the study window–sill, he saw Adye stand parleying with the unseen. “Why doesn’t he fire?” whispered Kemp to himself. Then the revolver moved a little, and the glint of the sunlight flashed in Kemp’s eyes. He shaded his eyes and tried to see the course of the blinding beam.

“Surely!” he said. “Adye has given up the revolver.”

“Promise not to rush the door,” Adye was saying. “Don’t push a winning game too far.[11] Give a man a chance.”

“You go back to the house. I tell you flatly I will not promise anything.”

Adye’s decision seemed suddenly made. He turned towards the house, walking slowly with his hands behind him. Kemp watched him—puzzled. The revolver vanished, flashed again into sight, vanished again, and became evident on a closer scrutiny as a little dark object following Adye. Then things happened very quickly. Adye leapt backwards, swung round, clutched at this little object, missed it, threw up his hands and fell forward on his face, leaving a little puff of blue in the air. Kemp did not hear the sound of the shot. Adye writhed, raised himself on one arm, fell forward, and lay still.

For a space Kemp remained staring at the quiet carelessness of Adye’s attitude. The afternoon was very hot and still, nothing seemed stirring in all the world save a couple of yellow butterflies chasing each other through the shrubbery between the house and the road gate. Adye lay on the lawn near the gate. The blinds of all the villas down the hill road were drawn, but in one little green summer–house was a white figure, apparently an old man asleep. Kemp scrutinised the surroundings of the house for a glimpse of the revolver, but it had vanished. His eyes came back to Adye— The game was opening well.

Then came a ringing and knocking at the front door, that grew at last tumultuous, but, pursuant to Kemp’s instructions, the servants had locked themselves into their rooms. This was followed by a silence. Kemp sat listening and then began peering cautiously out of the three windows, one after another. He went to the staircase head and stood listening uneasily. He armed himself with his bedroom poker, and went to examine the interior fastenings of the ground–floor windows again. Everything was safe and quiet. He returned to the belvedere. Adye lay motionless over the edge of the gravel just as he had fallen. Coming along the road by the villas were the housemaid and two policemen.

Everything was deadly still. The three people seemed very slow in approaching. He wondered what his antagonist was doing.

He started. There was a smash from below. He hesitated and went downstairs again. Suddenly the house resounded with heavy blows and the splintering of wood. He heard a smash and the distinctive clang of the iron fastenings of shutters. He turned the key and opened the kitchen door. As he did so the shutters, split and splintering, came flying inward. He stood aghast. The window frame, save for one cross–bar, was still intact, but only little teeth of glass remained in the frame. The shutters had been driven in with an axe, and now the axe was descending in sweeping blows upon the window frame and the iron bars defending it. Then suddenly it leapt aside and vanished.

He saw the revolver lying on the path outside, and then the little weapon sprang into the air. He dodged back. The revolver cracked just too late, and a splinter from the edge of the closing door flashed over his head. He slammed and locked the door, and as he stood outside he heard Griffin shouting and laughing. Then the blows of the axe with their splitting and smashing accompaniments were resumed.

Kemp stood in the passage trying to think. In a moment the Invisible Man would be in the kitchen. This door would not keep him a moment, and then—

A ringing came at the front door again. It would be the policemen. He ran into the hall, put up the chain, and drew the bolts. He made the girl speak before he dropped the chain, and the three people blundered into the house in a heap, and Kemp slammed the door again.

“The Invisible Man!” said Kemp, “He has a revolver with two shots—left. He’s killed Adye. Shot him anyhow. Didn’t you see him on the lawn? He’s lying there.”

“Who?” said one of the policemen.

“Adye,” said Kemp.

“We came round the back way,” said the girl.

“What’s that smashing?” asked one of the policemen.

“He’s in the kitchen—or will be. He has found an axe—”

Suddenly the house was full of the Invisible Man’s resounding blows on the kitchen door. The girl stared towards the kitchen and stepped into the dining–room. Kemp tried to explain in broken sentences. They heard the kitchen door give.

“This way,” cried Kemp, bursting into activity, and bundled the policemen into the dining–room doorway.

“Poker,” said Kemp, and rushed to the fender.

He handed the poker he had carried to one policeman, and the dining–room one to the other.

He suddenly flung himself backward. “Whup,” said one policeman, ducked, and caught the axe on his poker. The pistol snapped its penultimate shot and ripped a valuable Sidney Cooper.[13] The second policeman brought his poker down on the little weapon, as one might knock down a wasp, and sent it rattling to the floor.

At the first clash the girl screamed, stood screaming for a moment by the fireplace, and then ran to open the shutters—possibly with an idea of escaping by the shattered window.

The axe receded into the passage and fell to a position about two feet from the ground. They could hear the Invisible Man breathing. “Stand away, you two,” he said. “I want that man Kemp.”

“We want you,” said the first policeman, making a quick step forward and wiping with his poker at the Voice. The Invisible Man must have started back, and he blundered into the umbrella stand.

Then, as the policeman staggered with the swing of the blow he had aimed, the Invisible Man countered with the axe, the helmet crumpled like paper, and the blow sent the man spinning to the floor at the head of the kitchen stairs.

But the second policeman, aiming behind the axe with his poker, hit something soft that snapped. There was a sharp exclamation of pain, and then the axe fell to the ground. The policeman wiped again at vacancy and hit nothing; he put his foot on the axe and struck again. Then he stood, poker clubbed, listening, intent for the slightest movement.

He heard the dining–room window open, and a quick rush of feet within. His companion rolled over and sat up, with the blood running down between his eye and ear. “Where is he?” asked the man on the floor.

“Don’t know. I’ve hit him. He’s standing somewhere in the hall unless he’s slipped past you. Dr. Kemp—sir!”

“Dr. Kemp,” cried the policeman again.

The second policeman began struggling to his feet. He stood up. Suddenly the faint pad of bare feet on the kitchen stairs could be heard. “Yap!” cried the first policeman, and flung his poker. It smashed a little gasbracket.

He made as if he would pursue the Invisible Man downstairs. Then he thought better of it, and stepped into the dining–room.

“Dr. Kemp—” he began, and stopped short.

“Dr. Kemp’s a hero,” he said, as his companion looked over his shoulder.

The dining–room window was wide open, and neither handmaid nor Kemp was to be seen.

The second policeman’s opinion of Kemp was terse and vivid.

Herbert George Wells
THE INVISIBLE MAN

CHAPTER XXVIII

THE HUNTER HUNTED

Mr. Heelas, Mr. Kemp’s nearest neighbour among the villa holders, was asleep in his summer–house when the siege of Kemp’s house began. Mr. Heelas was one of the sturdy majority who refused to believe in “all this nonsense” about an Invisible Man. His wife, however, as he was to be reminded subsequently, did. He insisted upon walking about his garden just as if nothing was the matter, and he went to sleep in the afternoon, in accordance with the custom of years. He slept through the smashing of the windows, and then woke up suddenly, with a curious persuasion of something wrong. He looked across at Kemp’s house, rubbed his eyes, and looked again. Then he put his feet to the ground and sat listening. He said he was damned,[1] but still the strange thing was visible. The house looked as though it had been deserted for weeks—after a violent riot. Every window was broken, and every window, save those of the belvedere study, was blinded by internal shutters.

”I could have sworn it was all right”—he looked at his watch—“twenty minutes ago.”

He became aware of a measured concussion, and the clash of glass far away in the distance. And then, as he sat open–mouthed, came a still more wonderful thing. The shutters of the dining–room window were flung open violently, and the housemaid, in her outdoor hat and garments, appeared struggling in a frantic manner to throw up the sash. Suddenly a man appeared beside her, helping her—Dr. Kemp! In another moment the window was open and the housemaid was struggling out; she pitched forward and vanished among the shrubs. Mr. Heelas stood up, exclaiming vaguely and vehemently at all these wonderful things. He saw Kemp stand on the sill, spring from the window, and reappear almost instantaneously running along a path in the shrubbery and stooping as he ran, like a man who evades observation. He vanished behind a laburnum, and appeared again clambering a fence that abutted on the open down. In a second he had tumbled over, and was running at a tremendous pace down the slope towards Mr. Heelas.

“Lord!” cried Mr. Heelas, struck with an idea, “it’s that Invisible Man brute![2] It’s all right after all!”

With Mr. Heelas to think things like that was to act,[3] and his cook, watching him from the top window, was amazed to see him come pelting towards the house at a good nine miles an hour. There was a slamming of doors, a ringing of bells, and the voice of Mr. Heelas bellowing like a bull. “Shut the doors, shut the windows, shut everything—the Invisible Man is coming!” Instantly the house was full of screams and directions and scurrying feet. He himself ran to shut the French windows[4] that opened on the veranda, and as he did so Kemp’s head and shoulders and knee appeared over the edge of the garden fence. In another moment Kemp had ploughed through the asparagus, and was running across the tennis–lawn to the house.

“You can’t come in,” said Mr. Heelas, shooting the bolts. “I’m very sorry if he’s after you—but you can’t come in!”

Kemp appeared with a face of terror close to the glass, rapping and then shaking frantically at the French window. Then, seeing his efforts were useless, he ran along the veranda, vaulted the end, and went to hammer at the side door. Then he ran round by the side gate to the front of the house, and so into the hill road. And Mr. Heelas staring from his window—a face of horror—had scarcely witnessed Kemp vanish ere the asparagus was being trampled this way and that by feet unseen. At that Mr. Heelas fled precipitately upstairs, and the rest of the chase is beyond his purview. But as he passed the staircase window he heard the side gate slam.

Emerging into the hill road, Kemp naturally took the downward direction, and so it was that he came to run in his own person the very race he had watched with such a critical eye from the belvedere study only four days ago. He ran it well for a man out of training, and though his face was white and wet his wits were cool to the last. He ran with wide strides, and wherever a patch of rough ground intervened, wherever there came a patch of raw flints, or a bit of broken glass shone dazzling, he crossed it, and left the bare invisible feet that followed to take what line they would.

For the first time in his life Kemp discovered that the hill road was indescribably vast and desolate, and that the beginnings of the town far below at the hill foot were strangely remote. Never had there been a slower or more painful method of progression than running. All the gaunt villas, sleeping in the afternoon sun, looked locked and barred; no doubt they were locked and barred by his own orders. But at any rate they might have kept a lookout for an eventuality like this! The town was rising up now, the sea had dropped out of sight behind it, and people below were stirring. A tram was just arriving at the hill foot. Beyond that was the police station. Were those footsteps he heard behind him? Spurt.

The people below were staring at him, one or two were running, and his breath was beginning to saw in his throat. The tram was quite near now, and the “Jolly Cricketers” was noisily barring its doors. Beyond the tram were posts and heaps of gravel—the drainage works. He had a transitory idea of jumping into the tram and slamming the doors, and then he resolved to go for the police station. In another moment he had passed the door of the “Jolly Cricketers,” and was in the blistering fag end of the street,[5] with human beings about him. The tram driver and his helper—astounded by the sight of his furious haste—stood staring with the tram horses[6] unhitched. Farther on the astonished features of navvies appeared above the mounds of gravel.

His pace broke a little, and then he heard the swift pad of his pursuer, and leapt forward again. “The Invisible Man!” he cried to the navvies, with a vague indicative gesture, and by an inspiration leapt the excavation, and placed a burly group between him and the chase. Then, abandoning the idea of the police station, he turned into a little side street, rushed by a greengrocer’s cart, hesitated for the tenth of a second at the door of a sweet–stuff shop, and then made for the mouth of an alley that ran back into the main Hill Street again. Two or three little children were playing here, and shrieked and scattered running at his apparition, and forthwith, doors and windows opened, and excited mothers revealed their hearts. Out he shot into Hill Street once more, three hundred yards from the tram–line end, and immediately he became aware of a tumultuous vociferation and running people.

He glanced up the street towards the hill. Hardly a dozen yards off ran a huge navvy, cursing in fragments and slashing viciously with a spade, and hard behind him came the tram conductor with his fists clenched. Up the street others followed these two, striking and shouting. Down towards the town men and women were running, and he noticed clearly one man coming out of a shop door with a stick in his hand. “Spread out! Spread out!” cried some one. Kemp suddenly grasped the altered condition of the chase. He stopped and looked round, panting. “He’s close here!” he cried. “Form a line across—”

He was hit hard under the ear, and went reeling, trying to face round towards his unseen antagonist. He just managed to keep his feet, and he struck a vain counter in the air. Then he was hit again under the jaw, and sprawled headlong on the ground. In another moment a knee compressed his diaphragm, and a couple of eager hands gripped his throat, but the grip of one was weaker than the other; he grasped the wrists, heard a cry of pain from his assailant, and then the spade of the navvy came, whirling through the air above him, and struck something with a dull thud. He felt a drop of moisture on his face. The grip at his throat suddenly relaxed, and with a convulsive effort Kemp loosed himself, grasped a limp shoulder, and rolled uppermost. He gripped the unseen elbows near the ground. “I’ve got him!” screamed Kemp. “Help! help—hold! He’s down! Hold his feet!”

In another second there was a simultaneous rush upon the struggle, and a stranger coming into the road suddenly might have thought an exceptionally savage game of Rugby football[7] was in progress. And there was no shouting after Kemp’s cry—only a sound of blows and feet and a heavy breathing.

Then came a mighty effort, and the Invisible Man staggered to his feet. Kemp clung to him in front like a hound to a stag, and a dozen hands clutched and tore at the unseen. The tram conductor got the neck, and lugged him back.

Down went the heap of struggling men again. There was, I am afraid, some savage kicking. Then suddenly a wild scream of “Mercy, mercy!” that died down swiftly to a sound like choking.

“Get back, you fools!” cried the muffled voice of Kemp, and there was a vigorous shoving back of stalwart forms.

“He’s hurt, I tell you. Stand back.”

There was a brief struggle to clear a space, and then the circle of eager faces saw the doctor kneeling, as it seemed, fifteen inches in the air, and holding invisible arms to the ground. Behind him a constable gripped invisible ankles.

“Don’t you leave go of en! ” cried the big navvy, holding a blood–stained spade; “he’s shamming.”

“He’s not shamming,” said the doctor, cautiously raising his knee, “and I’ll hold him.” His face was bruised, and already turning red; he spoke thickly, because of a bleeding lip. He released one hand, and seemed to be feeling at the face. “The mouth’s all wet,” he said. And then, “Good Lord!”

He stood up abruptly, and then knelt down on the ground by the side of the thing unseen. There was a pushing and shuffling, a sound of heavy feet as fresh people came to increase the pressure of the crowd. Men were coming out of the houses. The doors of the “Jolly Cricketers” stood suddenly wide open. Very little was said. Kemp felt about, his hand seeming to pass through empty air. “He’s not breathing,” he said, and then, “I can’t feel his heart. His side—ugh!”

An old woman, peering under the arm of the big navvy, screamed sharply. “Looky there!” she said, and thrust out a wrinkled finger. And looking where she pointed, every one saw, faint and transparent, as though made of glass, so that veins and arteries, and bones and nerves could be distinguished, the outline of a hand—a hand limp and prone. It grew clouded and opaque even as they stared.[8]

“Hallo!” cried the constable. “Here’s his feet a–showing!”

And so, slowly, beginning at his hands and feet, and creeping slowly along his limbs to the vital centres of his body, that strange change to visible fleshliness continued. It was like the slow spreading of a poison. First came the little white veins tracing a hazy gray sketch of a limb, then the glassy bones and intricate arteries, then the flesh and skin, first a faint fogginess and then growing rapidly dense and opaque. Presently they could see his crushed chest and his shoulders, and the dim outline of his drawn and battered features.

When at last the crowd made way for Kemp to stand erect, there lay, naked and pitiful on the ground, the bruised and broken body of a young man about thirty. His hair and brow were white—not gray with age, but white with the whiteness of albinism—and his eyes were like garnets. His hands were clenched, his eyes wide open, and his expression was one of anger and dismay.

“Cover his face!” cried a man. “For Gawd’s, sake cover that face!”

Some one brought a sheet from the “Jolly Cricketers,” and having covered him, they carried him into that house. And there it was, on a shabby bed in a tawdry, ill–lighted bedroom, surrounded by a crowd of ignorant and excited people, broken and wounded, betrayed and unpitied, that Griffin, the first of all men to make himself invisible, Griffin, the most gifted physicist the world has ever seen, ended in infinite disaster his strange and terrible career.

THE EPILOGUE

So ends the story of the strange and evil experiment of the Invisible Man. And if you would learn more of him you must go to a little inn near Port Stowe and talk to the landlord. The sign of the inn is an empty board save for a hat and boots, and the name is the title of this story. The landlord is a short and corpulent little man with a nose of cylindrical protrusion, wiry hair, and a sporadic rosiness of visage. Drink generously, and he will tell you generously of all the things that happened to him after that time, and of how the lawyers tried to “do him out of”[1] the treasure found upon him.

“When they found they couldn’t prove who’s money was which, I’m blessed,” he says, “if they didn’t try to make me out a blooming treasure trove! Do I look like a Treasure Trove?[2] And then a gentleman gave me a guinea a night to tell the story at the Empire Music ’All—just tell ’em in my own words—barring one.”

And if you want to cut off the flow of his reminiscences abruptly, you can always do so by asking if there weren’t three manuscript books in the story. He admits there were, and proceeds to explain with asseverations that everybody thinks he has ’em. But, bless you! he hasn’t. “The Invisible Man it was took ’em off to hide ’em when I cut and ran for Port Stowe. It’s that Mr. Kemp put people on with the idea[3] of my having ’em.”

He subsides into a pensive state, watches you furtively, bustles nervously with glasses, and presently leaves the bar.

He is a bachelor man—his tastes were ever bachelor, and there are no women–folk in the house. Outwardly he buttons—it is expected of him—but in his more vital privacies, in the matter of braces, for example, he still turns to string. He conducts his house without enterprise, but with eminent decorum. His movements are slow, and he is a great thinker. But he has a reputation for wisdom and for a respectable parsimony in the village, and his knowledge of the roads of the South of England would beat Cobbett.[4]

On Sunday mornings, every Sunday morning, all the year round, while he is closed to the outer world, and every night after ten, he goes into his bar parlour, bearing a glass of gin faintly tinged with water, and having placed this down, he locks the door and examines the blinds, and even looks under the table. And then, being satisfied of his solitude, he unlocks the cupboard, and a box in the cupboard, and a drawer in that box, and produces three volumes bound in brown leather, and places them solemnly in the middle of the table. The covers are weather–worn and tinged with an algal green—for once they sojourned in a ditch, and some of the pages have been washed blank by dirty water. The landlord sits down in an armchair, fills a long clay pipe slowly—gloating over the books the while. Then he pulls one towards him and begins to study it, turning over the leaves backwards and forwards.

His brows are knit and his lips move painfully. “Hex, little two up in the air, cross and a fiddle–de–dee. Lord! what a one he was for intellect!”

Presently he relaxes and leans back, and blinks through his smoke across the room at things invisible to other eyes. “Full of secrets,” he says. “Wonderful secrets!

“Once I get the haul of them—Lord!

“I wouldn’t do what he did; I’d just—well!” He pulls at his pipe.

So he lapses into a dream, the undying, wonderful dream of his life. And though Kemp has fished unceasingly, no human being save the landlord knows those books are there, with the subtle secret of invisibility and a dozen other strange secrets written therein. And none other will know of them until he dies.

Herbert George Wells
THE INVISIBLE MAN

Комментарий

Задача данного комментария — объяснить наиболее трудные для понимания языковые явления, а также реалии исторического и бытового характера, встречающиеся в тексте.

Язык книги, насыщенный идиоматическими оборотами, является образцом современного разговорного английского языка. Но там, где автор воспроизводит речь жителей Суссекса (графство в юго-восточной Англии), встречается много оборотов, свойственных английским диалектам и просторечию. Основными из этих отклонений от норм литературного английского языка являются следующие:

Двойное отрицание: he don't want no help.

Употребление формы Past вместо Past Participle в перфектных временах и в пассиве: he’s took your room; my sister being took up with her little ones. Это явление юмористически подчёркивается автором в сцене с матросом, читающим газету. Он «поправляет» её по–своему: “…it is supposed that he has taken—took, I suppose they mean—the road to Port Stowe.”

Употребление форм Present вместо Past: he give a name.

Употребление форм 1-го лица глаголов вместо 3-го и наоборот: he don’t; you likes.

Употребление форм единственного числа глаголов to be и to have вместо форм множественного числа: we was.

Употребление ain’t (несуществующего вообще в литературном языке) вместо любой формы настоящего времени глаголов to be и to have: he ain’t even given a name.

Неправильное образование глагольных форм: seed (прошедшее время от see, вместо saw).

Употребление старой формы Participle I: a–coming и инфинитива без to: I want know (характерно для диалектов).

Употребление архаических форм личных местоимений: ’ее (thee) (характерно для диалектов) и особой диалектной формы личных местоимений him и her — en (слабая форма ’п) с производным от него enself.

Употребление форм личного местоимения they, them вместо указательных местоимений these, those: they goggles; what a turn them bandages did give me.

Употребление указательного местоимения that вместо наречия so перед прилагательными: that bad, that trustful.

Употребление объектного падежа личных местоимений вместо именительного: and him a new guest.

Употребление прилагательного вместо соответствующего наречия: extraordinary strong; he can go through a cordon of policemen as easy as me or you could give the slip to a blind man.

Употребление формы неопределённого артикля а перед гласными: a extraordinary.

В книге нашли также отражение характерные особенности произношения жителей Суссекса:

1) Очень широкое употребление звука [α:] вместо [æ]: larder (ladder); marn (man); вместо [ɔ: и [ɔ]: Gard (God), gart (got), darg (dog), harse (horse); вместо [αι], [αu]: Arm darmed (I’m darned), nar (now);

2) Опущение звука [h] в начальном положении: ’е (he), ’ed (head) свойственное английскому просторечию вообще.

Предисловие.1

Родбертус–Ягецов, Карл (1805—1875) — немецкий историк и экономист, один из основоположников так называемого государственного социализма, апологет прусской монархии, ярый враг марксизма.

to strike a bargain — заключить сделку; зд. договориться о цене

with that much introduction — ограничившись только этим для знакомства. That much соотв. русскому «всего навсего»

no “haggler” — не из тех, кто торгуется. Отрицание с глаголом to be более выразительно и энергично, чем not. См. то же no hero — «отнюдь не герой», и no believer in voices — «не из тех, кто верит в голоса».

aid — зд. служанка. Ср. ниже help с тем же значением.

éclat [eι´klα:] (фр.) — зд. шик

side–lights — (зд.) боковые стёкла

her conversational advances were ill–timed — её попытки завязать разговор были несвоевременны

staccato (муз.) — коротко, отрывисто

verbal stabs — колкие замечания (букв. словесные уколы)

I’ll have them nicely dried — я велю их хорошо просушить. Употребление to have + сложное дополнение them dried указывает на то, что действие выполняется не субъектом, выраженным подлежащим, а кем–то другим. То же с глаголом get: I’ll… get the bloodhounds put on — «я велю натравить (на него) собак».

her face was eloquent of her surprise and perplexity — её лицо красноречиво свидетельствовало об удивлении и замешательстве

I never! There! — восклицания удивления или негодования

what she was messing about with now — с чем она опять там возится. To mess about with (something) — «возиться с чем–либо без толку».

what a turn them (правильно: these) bandages did give me — ну и напугали меня эти повязки! Употребление вспомогательного глагола to do в утвердительном предложении служит для эмфазы.

divin’ ’elmet (правильно: diving helmet) — шлем водолаза

Bless my soul alive! — восклицание удивления или негодования

taters (диал.) = potatoes

“Was she quite sure? No man with a trap would go over?” — вопросы оформлены кавычками как прямая речь, но прошедшее время и 3–е лицо указывает на так называемую несобственно прямую речь (переплетение прямой речи с авторским повествованием)

to snatch at an opening — ухватиться за возможность; зд. начать разговор

upsettled — неправильно вместо upset

the visitor was not to be drawn so easily — постояльца не так–то легко было заставить говорить

jest — искаженное just

Помимо основного значения «настоящий» regular употребляется в просторечии как усилительная частица «прямо–таки» и т.п.

a bark of a laugh — лающий смех. Так называемое связанное предложение, в котором основным элементом является второй — laugh; bark — приложение, определяющее его. См. a beast of a county

to them as had the doing for him (простореч.) — тем, кому пришлось ухаживать за ним

Millie had a hot time of it — Милли досталось

might have heard him at the coals — мог слышать как он мешает уголь в камине

clock–jobber (устар.) — часовщик

My sakes! — восклицание удивления

with a vivid sense of the dark spectacles — образно передавая впечатление от чёрных очков

She was certain, with a marked coolness. — Первая часть предложения — несобственно прямая речь. За ней следует авторская ремарка, показывающая, каким тоном миссис Холл отвечала постояльцу. Сочетание ремарки с несобственно прямой речью хорошо передаёт настороженность миссис Холл.

rum up (правильно: one) и ниже rum–looking customer — подозрительный человек

You don’t say so (разг.) — Не может быть!

By the week. — Понедельник; under the week — раньше чем через неделю

Get up, old girl! — зд. Ну, трогай, старуха! (обращаясь к лошади)

wim’простореч. — women

in hat, gloves and wrapper — отсутствие артикля при перечислении придаёт перечислению эмфатичность, подчёркивает множественность (… и в шляпе, и в пальто, и в перчатках)

dilettante [,dιlι´tæntι] итал. — зд. лениво

to get home on the stranger’s leg — вцепиться в ногу незнакомцу. Компонент home в подобных сочетаниях значит «прямо в цель», «в самую точку».

made as if he would stoop — сделал движение, словно желая наклониться

his dog didn’t have no (правильно: had no) business to bite her guests — его собака не имела никакого права кусать её постояльцев

general dealer — лавочник

judicial — зд. делающий глубокомысленные замечания

at all — в утвердительных конструкциях значит «хоть немного», в отрицательных — имеет значение «совсем», «ничуть»

rareдиал. = extremely

crate after crate yielded bottles — из одного ящика за другим вынимали бутылки

the table high with straw — на столе была гора соломы

bottle in one hand and test tube in the other — Отсутствие артикля (точнее «нулевой артикль») обычно для независимых конструкций, служащих обстоятельством образа действия. См. также knife in hand

went on ticking a list — продолжал делать пометки в списке

the colour’s come off patchy instead of mixing — (более тёмная) окраска выступила пятнами вместо того, чтобы смешиваться

overrode her by the easy expedient of an extra payment — легко побеждал её, предлагая дополнительную плату

artisks (искажённое artists) — художники

Здесь would указывает на повторность действия

Communication with the world beyond the village he had none. — необычный порядок слов (дополнение стоит на первом месте) выделяет слово communication как самое важное, и кроме того, даёт возможность употребить местоимение none, более выразительное, чем no

grew steadily upon him — всё усиливалась у него

could make neither head nor tail (of) — не могла решительно ничего понять

going gingerly over the syllables — осторожно произнося по слогам

out of her hearing there was a view largely entertained that… — втайне от неё многие держались того мнения, что…

probationary assistant in the National School — учитель народной школы, проходящий испытательный срок

the piebald view or some modification of it — теорию о том, что он пегий, или какой–либо вариант этой теории

Имеется в виду евангельская притча о рабе, который, получив от своего господина один талант (древняя денежная единица), закопал его в землю вместо того, чтобы пустить в оборот и получить прибыль; the man with the one talent стало обозначать человека, не умеющего пользоваться своими преимуществами

an urban brain–worker — горожанин, занимающийся умственным трудом

they surprised now and then — (которые) им иногда удавалось видеть. Одно из значений to surprise «застать врасплох».

the headlong pace… that swept him upon them round quiet corners — стремительность, с которой его несло на них из–за поворотов тихих улиц

would up with coat collars and down with hat brims — поднимали воротники и низко надвигали шляпы. Up и down (особенно с with) имеют тенденцию выступать в разговорном языке в функции глагола.

concert—in aid of the church lamps — концерт, сбор с которого должен был пойти на покупку ламп для церкви

more or less sharp or flat — более или менее фальшиво (букв. выше или ниже нужного тона)

hit upon — зд. ухватился за

ammonite — окаменелая раковина аммонита, которой мистер Бантинг пользовался как пресс–папье

Went in=I went in. Последующий рассказ Касса состоит в основном из неполных (эллиптических) предложений (в которых отсутствует либо подлежащее, либо сказуемое), передающих возбуждённое состояние рассказчика.

nurse fund — средства на содержание медицинской сестры

Would he subscribe?=asked him if he would subscribe. — Несобственно прямая речь. Начиная с этих слов идёт очень сжатая, вплоть до опущения артиклей (from window, up chimney) передача Кассом его собственных вопросов и ответов Невидимки.

blowing the cork out (фиг.) — давая волю своему раздражению

And out came the grievance. — Ну, он и начал жаловаться.

The man was just on the boil, and my question boiled him over. — Он просто кипел негодованием, и от моего вопроса всё его раздражение вылилось наружу.

blinkers (вульг.) — очки

starts scratch — не имеет преимуществ

cut out of the room (разг.) — выскочил из комнаты. См. также to cut off «убежать» и cut and ran в том же значении

was nerved to abrupt action — отважился на решительные действия

Of all the extraordinary occurences… — Из всех необыкновенных происшествий… (опущено «о которых я когда–либо слышал»). См подобные же восклицания изумления: Of all the extraordinary affairs и ещё более сокращённую форму Of all the curious!

to shoot the bolts back — отодвинуть засовы

search as they would — сколько ни искали. Would является аналитической формой сослагательного наклонения. Здесь would употреблено без повторения основного глагола, что характерно для данного оборота. См. do as I would «как я ни старался»

before Millie was hunted out for the day — прежде чем разыскали Милли, которая была нужна (зд. чтобы дать ей работу на день)

specific gravity — удельный вес; зд. крепость

sarsaparilla — сарсапарель, растение, корень которого содержит сапонины (вещества, способные образовывать пену). Миссис Холл клала сарсапарель в пиво, чтобы увеличить пенистость.

telescoping of the syllables — проглатывание слогов

You gart whad a wand? (диал.)=You got what I want?

’E’s not in uz room, ’e en’t (диал.)=He is not in his room, he isn’t.

If ’e en’t there… ’is close are. And what’s ’e doin’ ’ithout ’is close, than? ’Tas a most curius basness. (диал.)=If he isn’t there, his clothes are. And what is he doing without his clothes, then? It’s a most curious business.

Mr. Hall’s compliments, and the furniture upstairs was behaving most extraordinary. Would Mr. Wadgers come aroung? — Милли передаёт мистеру Веджерсу, что ей поручили сказать. Её слова даны в несобственно прямой речи. с сохранением особенностей её языка.

he was a knowing man, was Mr. Wadgers — он всё знал, этот мистер Веджерс. Повторение глагола–связки и подлежащего с инверсией является средством эмфазы.

Arm darmed if thet ent witchcraft. (диал.) — Будь я проклят, если это не колдовство.

В Англии существовало поверие, что подкова охраняет от ведьм и всякого колдовства.

The Anglo–Saxon genius for parliamentary government asserted itself: (ирон.) — Здесь проявилась способность англо–саксов к управлению при помощи парламентской системы. Дальнейшие слова: there was a great deal of talk and no decisive action раскрывают отношение автора к английской парламентской системе.

to bust (правильно: burst) open — взломать

A door onbust is always open to bustin’, but ye can’t onbust a bust door once you’ve busted en. (диал.) — Пока дверь не взломана, её всегда можно взломать, но нельзя сделать невзломанной дверь, раз её уже взломали.

left the alternative unsaid — не докончил. Подразумевается, что прямая речь должна была закончиться словами: I’m damned.

to bring up to that pitch — довести до такого состояния

to put two and two together — сделать соответствующие выводы

piqué paper ties — галстуки из бумаги в рубчик, как материал пике

cocoanut–shy — игра, в которой мишенью служат кокосовые орехи (распространённое ярмарочное развлечение в Англии)

the “Purple Fawn” — название трактира

royal ensigns — королевские штандарты

the first Victorian Jubilee — празднование 50–летия царствования королевы Виктории в 1887 г.

Nar, nar! (диал.)=Now, now! — Полегче!

to have the better (of) — одержать верх

Don’t ’good woman’ me=Don’t call me ‘good woman’. — употребление слов good woman в функции глагола придаёт особую выразительность и резкость ответу миссис Холл.

saw the “Coach and Horses” violently firing out its humanity (шутл.) — видели, как из постоялого двора «Повозка и Кони» стремительно вылетели люди

the swing man — владелец качелей; smocked elders — старики в блузах; aproned gipsies — цыганки в фартуках

Babel — галдёж, неразбериха. По библейскому сказанию, бог разгневался на жителей Вавилона за то, что они решили построить башню до небес, и смешал их языки так, что они перестали понимать друг друга. Ср. русск.: «Вавилонское столпотворение».

Ain’t hurt the girl, ’as ’e? (диал.)=He hasn’t hurt the girl, has he?

run at en with a knife (диал.)=ran at her with a knife

No ’ed, I tell ye. I don’t mean no manner of speaking, I mean Marn ’ithout a ’Ed! (диал.)=No head, I tell you. I don’t mean it as a manner of speaking, I mean a Man without a Head! С большой буквы даны слова, которые рассказчик особенно подчёркивает.

I tell ’e, ’e ain’t gart no ’ed ’tall. (диал.)=I tell you he has got no head at all.

’rest en (диал.)=arrest him

but ’ed or no ’ed , the warrant says ‘body’ — но есть ли голова или нет, в приказе сказано про «тело». Игра слов, основанная на том, что как юридический термин слово body употребляется в значении person.

disposed of him — зд. вывел его из строя

a web of pungency — едкий запах

brought up short — внезапно остановившись

ærial voice — голос Невидимки

the Unitarian — сторонник унитарной партии

mêlée [me´leι] (фр.) — свалка, схватка

scattered them abroad — рассеяла их

in transit — зд. в пути

Последняя из –ing–форм, в отличие от трёх предыдущих, относится опять к Гиббинсу, а не к Невидимке

embonpoint [α:n´bɔ:ŋwæŋ] (фр.) — полнота

furry silk hat — мохнатый цилиндр

the frequent substitution of twine and shoe–laces for buttons — замена во многих местах пуговиц бечёвкой и шнурками от ботинок

open–work — ажурная строчка (зд. иронич. о дырах на носках)

owdacious (искажённое audaciously) ugly — ужасно безобразные (букв. нагло безобразные)

a gentleman on tramp — джентльмен, занимающийся бродяжничеством. Употребляя слово gentleman, Марвел как бы возвышает себя в собственных глазах.

thundering (вульг.) — «чертовски», «чертовский»

and good county for boots, too — да ещё и графство, в котором обычно достаёшь хорошие сапоги

It beats it (разг.) — Это будет «почище». См. также this beats ghosts «это будет пострашнее привидений». Ср. однако this fair beats me, где переносное разговорное значение to beat иное: «это выше моего понимания».

coming on all fours — становясь на четвереньки

lemme — искажённое let me

peewit — чибис. Звукоподражательное слово, обозначающее и птицу, и её крик

So help me. — восклицание удивления (сокращение фразы “so help me god”)

I’m off my blooming chump! (вульг.) — Я спятил.

blarsted (или blasted) (вульг.) — чёртовы

whizz came a flint — (в воздухе) просвистел камень. Whizz — звукоподражательное слово для передачи звука летящего предмета. Особый характер употребления этого независимого члена предложения здесь (отсутствие запятой, которая отделяла бы его от всего предложения, и инверсия) приближает его к обстоятельственному слову.

It’s a fair do. (разг.) — Это просто мошенничество.

I’m done. — зд. Сдаюсь.

Tell us something I don’t know (разг.) — Не морочьте мне голову.

Vox et… (лат.) — начало цитаты Vox et praeterea nihil — голос и больше ничего. Повидимому, латинский перевод из Плутарха.

It won’t be so darn out–of–the–way like, then… — Тогда это не будет так чертовски странно. Сочетание out–of–the–way здесь адъективируется (уподобляется прилагательному) благодаря добавлению к нему like. Darn — одно из эвфемизмов слова damn (или damned) «проклятие» («проклятый»), которое само уже превратилось в ругательство. Другую такую замену см. там же: I’m dashed.

arf — искажённое half

howjer — искажённое how do you

How the dooce (искажённое deuce) is it done? (вульг.) — Как это делается, чёрт возьми?

Значение fairly (а в просторечии fair) как наречия степени колеблется от «более или менее» до «совершенно» (при глаголе).

I’m all in a dizzy (простореч.) — у меня голова идёт кругом

not at all assured of its back — неуверенный в поддержке

transcending experience — выходящие за рамки жизненного опыта

Sunday–school — воскресная школа для изучения священного писания, орудие массовой религиозной пропаганды в Англии

the village green — лужайка, на которой обычно происходят гулянья в английских деревнях

clinging the while to a pulley–swing handle — всё время держась за ручку блока

came in for considerable favour — пользовалась большим успехом

favours of ribbon — банты

Stop thief! — отсутствие артикля характерно для многих стереотипных выражений

“subsequent proceedings interested him no more” — цитата из юмористического стихотворения Брет–Гарта “The Society upon the Stanislaus”:

“And he smiled a kind of sickly smile, and curled up on the floor,”

“And the subsequent proceedings interested him no more.”

to furnish a clue — дать ключ к разгадке

tap (сокращ. tap–room) — бар (распивочная)

Stand clear. — Посторонись!

every one outside the Church — каждый человек не духовного звания

credited him with a knowledge of Greek and Hebrew originals — считал, что он может читать книги на греческом и древнееврейском языках.

stark (сокращ. вместо stark naked) — совершенно голый

summat — неправильно вместо something

thur (диал.)=sir

No! no, you don’t! (разг.) — Ну, нет, не удастся; «шалишь».

sotto voce [´sɔtou ´vout∫ι] (итал.) — вполголоса

I heerd’n (диал.) = I’ve heard him

by dumb show — жестами

like as not (простореч.) — возможно

The two were then kicked, knelt on, fallen over, and cursed by quite a number of over–hasty people. — Затем на них навалилась добрая дюжина спешно удиравших людей, которые топтали их ногами, придавливали коленями и проклинали. Типичное для английского языка употребление страдательного залога с рядом совершенно различных по характеру переходности глаголов (to curse, to kick — переходные; to kneel on, to fall over — косвенно переходные).

a white kilt that could only have passed muster in Greece — белая юбочка, которая могла бы сойти за одежду только в Греции (to pass muster — букв. быть признанным годным).

the best part of two hours — почти два часа

Bank Holiday — неприсутственный день для служащих в Англии. Здесь имеется в виду один из таких дней, следующий после Троицы.

to give smb. the slip (разг.) — улизнуть от кого–либо

if you don’t mind — зд. если не будешь слушаться

It’s all about. — зд. Это распространилось повсюду

Get on. — зд. Поторапливайся.

What do I make by it? (разг.) — Что я получу за это?

saving his regard — попросив у него извинения. Автор произвольно изменяет выражение saving your regard «с вашего разрешения», обычно употребляемое в прямой речи и со 2–м лицом.

Ostria — искажённое Austria

to be up to something (разг.) — затевать что–нибудь

Alteration (искажённое altercation) — ссора. Заглавные буквы здесь и ниже воспроизводят внешний вид газетных заголовков.

took a drop over and above — выпил лишнее

to go for (разг.) — напасть, наброситься на кого–нибудь

tremenjus — искажённое tremendous

hoax — выдумка, «утка»

son of an old boot — чёртов сын. Один из многочисленных вариантов ругательств со словом son.

the butterfly money — летающие (как бабочки) деньги

the fellowship of the Royal Society — звание члена Королевского общества (The Royal Society of London — старейшее научное общество в Англии, основанное в 1660 году)

what possesses people — что нашло на людей

to spurt — бежать из последних сил

to occult (редк.) — заслонить, скрыть из виду

by the man pounded — наречие by, вынесенное на первое место, делает фразу более динамичной

glairy foam — зд. густая пена

Burton — зд. сорт пива

in American — имеется в виду «с американским акцентом»

don’t you be in too muck hurry — не слишком–то спешите. Употребление личного местоимения 2–го лица в повелительном предложении делает приказание более выразительным.

I’m out o’frocks — я не маленький (букв. я больше не ношу детские платьица)

to star — треснуть (о стекле) (букв. пойти звёздами)

Four aces and the joker. — Четыре туза и джокер. Термины игры в покер, обозначающие выигрыш, победу.

What are the asses at now? — Что ещё там делают эти болваны?

threw it up (the window) — открыл окно (букв. поднял). В Англии распространены так называемые sash–windows, состоящие из 2–х рам, скользящих вверх и вниз, наподобие окон в железнодорожных вагонах.

a runaway ring — кто–то позвонил и убежал

the story he had been active to ridicule — история, которую он так высмеивал

University College — одно из отделений Лондонского университета

albino — альбинос, человек или животное, у которого отсутствует пигментация (окраска) кожи и волосяного покрова

This do? (разг.)=Will this do?

…to get something about me — зд. надеть что–нибудь на себя

nares=nostrils

a devilish scrape — чертовски затруднительное положение

The things I’ve been through! — Что я только пережил!

he was always casting about — он всё время подыскивал случай

larvæ, nauplii, tornarias (лат.) — названия простейших животных, обитателей морских глубин

cum grano (лат.) — сокращение латинского выражения cum grano salis, означающего «с оговоркой»; зд. не веря всерьёз

But when does the Tramp come in? (зд. разг.) — А причём здесь бродяга?

it reads like rage growing to mania — когда читаешь, то кажется, что это ярость, переходящяя в помешательство

even as — как раз когда

to be liable to (something) — быть подверженным (чему–либо)

I came on the stuff — я наткнулся на это

the refractive index of a substance — показатель преломления света (веществом)

Now you have me! (разг.) — Теперь вы меня понимаете.

Здесь would — модальный глагол, выражающий желание

You may well exclaim — Мне понятно ваше изумление

hemmed–in — во всём ограниченный

the current cant — общепринятое ханжество

I put it down to the general inanity of life — я объяснял это общей бессмысленностью жизни

the seethe of the radiant points — мерцание светящихся точек

to compass even the downfall of my father’s gray hairs — даже навлечь позор на седую голову отца. Выражение the downfall of my father’s gray hairs связано со словами из библии: “Then shall you bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave.”

he might be liable — зд. его могли привлечь к ответственности (опущено: to persecution)

a house of call for letters of letters and parcels — контора по хранению писем и пакетов до востребования

like grim death — упорно. Устойчивое словосочетание

I was half–minded — у меня был соблазн

polyglot — зд. смешанный язык

appealed to — в подтверждение этого указывали на…

were nervous against my arrival — опасались моего прихода. Одно из значений against «в случае, если».

what I had done for myself — что я наделал

growing upon my attention — всё больше дававшие о себе знать

Mudie’s — библиотека в Лондоне

shaving… narrowly — зд. пройдя вплотную мимо

the Museum — зд. the British Museum

Salvatory Army — «Армия Спасения» — реакционная религиозно–благотворительная организация, созданная в Англии. Истинная её цель — отвлечение масс от классовой борьбы. Система построения носит полувоенный характер: офицеры (среди которых много женщин) имею чины и носят форму. Часто устраиваются шествия со знамёнами и оркестром, во время которых распевают церковные псалмы. В настоящее время эта организация является прямым проводником политики империализма.

saw my new footmarks flash into being — видели, как появлялись новые следы моих ног

Crusoe’s solitary discovery — Робинзон Крузо — герой одноимённого романа Дефо — не мог объяснить появление человеческих следов, которые он обнаружил на своём необитаемом острове.

to wich I am committed — на которую я обречён

to throw oneself upon somebody’s mercy — отдаться на чью–либо милость

Omniums — от латинского omnium «все»

I did not do badly — я неплохо устроился

the ugly little Jew of a landlord — эмфатическое определение. Первая часть the ugly little Jew служит определением к слову landlord. См. выше прим. 24 к гл. I

‘Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust’ — слова при отпевании покойника

hands — зд. работники

felt scared out of my wits — был напуган до потери рассудка

art pots — художественно разрисованные вазы

I fell to scheming — я начал строить планы

cab–rank — стоянка кэбов

Covent Garden Market — большой фруктовый, цветочный и овощной рынок в Лондоне

kicked the door to — закрыл дверь ногой

the house door — зд. дверь, ведущая во внутренние жилые помещения

such a man for shutting doors — …человека, который бы так старательно закрывал за собой двери. Ср. what a one he was for intellect «что за умница он был»

made no more ado — больше не церемонился

a Louis Quatorze vest — жилет времён Людовика XIV

to dance on the old strings — придерживаться устарелых взглядов (букв. плясать на старом канате)

a loose fit — велики (об одежде и обуви)

I went over the heads of the things a man reckons desirable. — Я перебрал в уме то, что обычно прельщает человека.

pride of place (библейск.) — высокое положение

when her name must needs be Delilah — когда она всё равно окажется Далилой. По библейской легенде, Далила, возлюбленная Самсона, выпытала у него секрет его необыкновенной физической силы и предала его в руки врагов. Наречие needs в сочетании с must означает «непременно», «обязательно». Это сочетание придаёт иронический характер высказыванию. См. the filthy brute must needs try to rob me «и надо же было этому грязному животному ограбить меня»

hangs up (разг.) — затрудняет

I have gone on vague lines — я действовал без определённого плана

the race — зд. the human race

the game’s up — дело проиграно; всё пропало

to beat — зд. обыскивать, «прочёсывать»

what his state of mind may have been — каково могло быть его душевное состояние. May (и must) + Perfect Infinitive выражает предположение, относящееся к прошлому. Вся глава, в которой автор высказывает свои предположения по поводу того, что произошло с Невидимкой, содержит много таких конструкций.

from human ken — из поля зрения людей

lodge gate — ворота имения; lodge — сторожка у въезда в парк или на территорию поместья

seem to bear on the matter — вероятно имеют отношение к этому событию

lifts the murder out of the realm of the absolutely wanton — делает это убийство не абсолютно бессмысленным (букв. выводит его из области бессмысленного)

unaccountably locomotive object — необъяснимо движущийся предмет

he would seem to have struck across the country — он вероятно пересёк эту местность. Здесь would seem является аналитической формой сослагательного наклонения и выражает предположительность действия.

what you stand to gain by it — что вы можете выгадать от этого; to stand to win (to lose) «иметь шансы за (против)»

there is nothing for it but… — ничего не остаётся, как

pillar–box — почтовый ящик в виде столбика (pillar), вделанного в тротуар и имеющего отверстие для писем. Этот тип почтового ящика очень распространён в Англии.

2d. — два пенса; d сокращ. denarius «динар», древнеримская монета

added a mental reservation — мысленно добавил оговорку

contra mundum (лат.) — против всего мира

followed Kemp’s profanity — выругался вслед за Кемпом

I have it! (разг.) — Я догадался!

went the way of its fellows — разделило судьбу остальных

ashamed of his momentary lapse from truthfulness — устыдившись своего минутного отступления от истины

stopped dead — остановился как вкопанный

Don’t push a winning game too far. — Не злоупотребляйте вашими преимуществами.

a Sidney Cooper — картина работы Сиднея Купера, английского художника (1803—1902), изображавшего преимущественно животных

he said he was damned — он выругался. Автор переводит в косвенную речь восклицание “I am damned”, которое обычно употребляется только в прямой речи, чем придаёт несколько иронический характер всей фразе.

it’s that Invisible Man brute — это этот зверь Невидимка; brute — приложение

with Mr. Heelas to think things like that was to act (ирон.) — стоило мистеру Хиласу подумать о чём–либо подобном, как он сразу начинал действовать (намёк на его трусость)

French window — внешняя стеклянная дверь, обычно ведущая в сад

the blistering fag end of the street — to blister букв. покрываться волдырями; здесь имеется в виду, что улица была раскопана; fag end of the street «конец улицы с более редкими домами»

Очевидно описываемая «конка» — трамвайный вагон с конной тягой.

Rugby football — рэгби, разновидность футбола, в которой разрешаются грубые приёмы игры

even as they stared — зд. у них на глазах (пока они смотрели)

Epilogue.1

to do smb. out of something (разг.) — отнять что–то у кого–либо

Epilogue.2

treasure trove — клад, принадлежащий неизвестному лицу и обнаруженный в земле. По английским законам клады, откопанные из–под земли, принадлежат государству, и сокрытие их карается законом.

Epilogue.3

put people on with the idea — внушил людям мысль

Epilogue.4

Cobbett, William (1762—1835) — английский политический деятель и публицист, мелкобуржуазный радикал

http://astro101.ru/images/equinox1.jpg

Autumnal Equinox
autumnal equinox — точка осеннего равноденствия; день осеннего равноденствия 

брит.  |ˈiːkwɪnɒks|
амер.  |ˈiːkwɪnɑːks|

Length of equinoctial day and night

Contour plot of the hours of daylight as a function of latitude and day of the year, showing approximately 12 hours of daylight at all latitudes during the equinoxes

Day is usually defined as the period when sunlight reaches the ground in the absence of local obstacles. On the day of the equinox, the center of the Sun spends a roughly equal amount of time above and below the horizon at every location on the Earth, so night and day are about the same length. In reality, the day is longer than the night at an equinox. There are two reasons for this:[2]

First, from the Earth, the Sun appears as a disc rather than a point of light, so when the centre of the Sun is below the horizon, its upper edge is visible. Sunrise, which begins daytime, occurs when the top of the Sun's disk rises above the eastern horizon. At that instant, the disk's centre is still below the horizon.

Second, Earth's atmosphere refracts sunlight. As a result, an observer sees daylight before the top of the Sun's disk rises above the horizon. Even when the upper limb of the Sun is 0.4 degrees[citation needed] below the horizon, its rays curve over the horizon to the ground.

In sunrise/sunset tables, the assumed semidiameter (apparent radius) of the Sun is 16 minutes of arc and the atmospheric refraction is assumed to be 34 minutes[citation needed] of arc. Their combination means that when the upper limb of the Sun is on the visible horizon, its centre is 50 minutes of arc below the geometric horizon, which is the intersection with the celestial sphere of a horizontal plane through the eye of the observer. These effects make the day about 14 minutes longer than the night at the equator and longer still towards the poles. The real equality of day and night only happens in places far enough from the equator to have a seasonal difference in day length of at least 7 minutes, actually occurring a few days towards the winter side of each equinox.[citation needed]

The times of sunset and sunrise vary with the observer's location (longitude and latitude), so the dates when day and night are equal also depend upon the observer's location.

At the equinoxes, the rate of change for the length of daylight and night-time is the greatest. At the poles, the equinox marks the transition from 24 hours of nighttime to 24 hours of daylight (or vice versa).

Jibo: The World's First Social Robot for the Home

http://mir-faktov.com/media/k2/items/cache/cee635145ad7a438ae066c6b737ab964_L.jpg

Meet Jibo!

Friendly, helpful, intelligent. From social robotics pioneer Dr. Cynthia Breazeal.

See what Jibo can do, and how he can fit in and is helpful in all sorts of families and in many different situations. See how Jibo relates to you and becomes part of the family.

=Spoiler написал(а):

Свернутый текст

Домашний робот JIBO

Ученые изобрели удобного домашнего робота помощника, который может выступать в качетсве напоминалки, органайзера, помощника, репетитора для образования и просто хорошего виртуального друга. А еще может выполнять другие функции, например фотографировать по голосовой команде. С виду этот робот очень милый и полностью безопасный, так как не имеет конечностей, он полностью округлой формы.

Tale: WEE LITTLE HAVROSHECHKA

There are good people in the world and some who are not so good. There are also people who are shameless in their wickedness.

http://ped-kopilka.ru/upload/blogs/1_b049b43885b0385118d97867ddcbf4cf.jpg.jpg

Wee Little Havroshechka had the bad luck to fall in with such as these. She was an orphan and these people took her in and brought her up, only to make her work till she couldn't stand. She wove and spun and did the housework and had to answer for everything.

http://www.ollelukoe.ru/images/stories/russian/sbor2/2/A-9.jpg

Now the mistress of the house had three daughters. The eldest was called One-Eye, the second Two-Eyes, and the youngest Three-Eyes. The three sisters did nothing all day but sit by the gate and watch what went on in the street, while Wee Little Havroshe chka sewed, spun and wove for them and never heard a kind word in return.
http://tvoyaskazka.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/b59831fd980f.jpg

Sometimes Wee Little Havroshechka would go out into the field, put her arms round the neck of her brindled cow and pour out all her sorrows to her.
       "Brindled, my dear," she would say, "they beat me and scold me, they don't give me enough to eat, and yet they forbid me to cry. I am to have five pounds of flax spun, woven, bleached and rolled by tomorrow."
       And the cow would say in reply, "My bonny lass, you have only to climb into one of my ears and come out through the other and your work will be done for you." And just as Brindled said, so it was. Wee Little Havroshechka would climb into one of the cow's ears and come out through the other, and behold! there lay the cloth, all woven and bleached and rolled. Little Havroshechka would then take the rolls of cloth to her mistress, who would look at them and grunt, and put them away in a chest and give Wee Little Havroshechka even more work to do.
And Wee Little Havroshechka would go to Brindled, put her arms round her and stroke her, climb into one of her ears and come out through the other, pick up the ready cloth and take it to her mistress again.
       One day the old woman called her daughter One-Eye to her and said, "My good child, my bonny child, go and see who helps the orphan with her work. Find out who spins the thread, weaves the cloth and rolls it."
       One-Eye went with Wee Little Havroshechka into the woods and she went with her into the fields, but she forgot her mother's command and she basked in the sun and lay down on the grass. And Havroshechka murmured, "Sleep, little eye, sleep!"
       One-Eye shut her eye and fell asleep. While she slept, Brindled wove, bleached and rolled the cloth. The mistress learned nothing, so she sent for her second daughter, Two-Eyes.
       "My good child, my bonny child, go and see who helps the orphan with her work."
       Two-Eyes went with Wee Little Havroshechka, but she forgot her mother's commend and she basked in the sun and lay down on the grass. And Wee Little Havroshechka murmured, "Sleep, little eye! Sleep, the other little eye!" Two-Eyes shut her eyes a nd she dozed off. While she slept, Brindled wove, bleached and rolled the cloth.
       The old woman was very angry and on the third day she told her third daughter, Three-Eyes, to go with Wee Little Havroshechka, to whom she gave more work than ever. Three-Eyes played and skipped about in the sun until she was so tired that she lay down o n the grass. And Wee Little Havroshechka sang out, "Sleep, little eye! Sleep, the other little eye!"
       But she forgot all about the third little eye. Two of Three-Eyes' eyes fell asleep, but the third looked on and saw everything. It saw Wee Little Havroshechka climb into one of the cow's ears and come out through the other and pick up the ready cloth.
       Three-Eyes came home and told her mother what she had seen. The old woman was overjoyed, and on the very next day she went to her husband and said, "Go and kill the brindled cow."
       The old man was astonished and tried to reason with her. "Have you lost your wits, old woman?", he said. "The cow is a good one and still young."
       "Kill it and say no more," the wife insisted.
       There was no help for it, and the old man began to sharpen his knife. Wee Little        Havroshechka found out all about it and she ran to the field and threw her arms around Brindled.
       "Brindled, dearie," she said, "they want to kill you!"
       And the cow replied, "Do not grieve, my bonny lass, but do what I tell you. Take my bones, tie them up in a kerchief, bury them in the garden and water them every day. Do not eat of my flesh and never forget me."
       The old man killed the cow, and Wee Little Havroshechka did as Brindled had told her. She went hungry, but she would not touch the meat, and she buried the bones in the garden and watered them every day.
       After a while an apple tree grew out of them, and a wonderful tree it was! Its apples were round and juicy, its swaying boughs were of silver, and its rustling leaves were of gold. Whoever drove by would stop to look, and whoever came near marveled.
       A long time passed by and a little time. One day One-Eye, Two-Eyes and Three-Eyes were out walking in the garden. And who should chance to be riding by at the time but a young man, handsome and strong and rich and curly-haired. When he saw the juicy apples he stopped and said to the girls teasingly, "Fair maidens! Her I will marry amongst you three who brings me an apple off yonder tree."
       And off rushed the sisters to the apple tree, each trying to get ahead of the others. But the apples which had been hanging very low and seemed within easy reach now swung up high in the air above the sisters' heads. The sisters tried to knock them down, but the leaves came down in a shower and blinded them. They tried to pluck the apples off, but the boughs caught in their braids and unplaited them. Struggle and stretch as they might, they could not reach the apples and only scratched their hands.
http://www.nskazi.narod.ru/rus/havrosh.jpg

Then Wee Little Havroshechka walked up to the tree, and at once the boughs bent down and the apples came into her hands. She gave an apple to the handsome young stranger and he married her. From that day on she knew no sorrow, and she and her husband lived happily ever after.

Russian national tale

“The turnip”

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip.png
http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip2.jpg

Grandpa planted a turnip.
http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip3.jpg

The turnip grew bigger and bigger. Grandpa came to pick the turnip, pulled and pulled but couldn't pull it up!

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip4.jpg
randpa called Grandma.
Grandma pulled Grandpa,
Grandpa pulled the turnip.

They pulled and pulled but couldn't pull it up!

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip5.jpg

Granddaughter came.
Granddaughter pulled Grandma,
Grandma pulled Grandpa,

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip6.jpg
The doggy came.
Doggy pulled Granddaughter,
Grandma pulled Grandpa,

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip7.jpg
A kitty came.
Kitty pulled doggy,
Grandma pulled Grandpa,

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip8.jpg

A mouse came.
The mouse pulled kitty,
Kitty pulled doggy,
Grandma pulled Grandpa,

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip9.jpg
   They pulled and pulled and pulled the turnip up!

The end

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/The_turnip10.jpg

Russian national tale

“The rolling bun”

Once there lived an old man and old woman. The old man said,"Old woman, bake me a rolling bun."

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun2.jpg
"What can I make it from? I have no flour." "Eh, eh, old woman! Scrape the cupboard, sweep the flour bin, and you will find enough flour."
       The old woman picked up a duster, scraped the cupboard, swept the flour bin and gathered about two handfuls of flour.

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun3.jpg
   She mixed the dough with sour cream, fried it in butter, and put the rolling bun on the window sill to cool. The rolling bun lay and lay there.

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun4.jpg

Suddenly it rolled off the window sill to the bench, from the bench to the floor, from the floor to the door. Then it rolled over the threshold to the entrance hall, from the entrance hall to the porch, from the porch to the courtyard, from the courtyard through the gate and on and on.

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun5.jpg

The rolling bun rolled along the road and met a hare."Little rolling bun, little rolling bun, I shall eat you up!" said the hare. "Don't eat me, slant-eyed hare! I will sing you a song," said the rolling bun, and sang:

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun6.jpg
  I was scraped from the cupboard,Swept from the bin, Kneaded with sour cream, Fried in butter, And cooled on the sill. I got away from Grandpa, I got away from Grandma, And I'll get away from you, hare! And the rolling bun rolled away before the hare even saw it move!
       The rolling bun rolled on and met a wolf. "Little rolling bun, little rolling bun, I shall eat you up," said the wolf. "Don't eat me, gray wolf!" said the rolling bun. "I will sing you a song." And the rolling bun sang:

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun7.jpg
I was scraped from the cupboard, Swept from the bin, Kneaded with sour cream, Fried in butter, And cooled on the sill. I got away from Grandpa, I got away from Grandma, I got away from the hare, And I'll get away from you, gray wolf! And the rolling bun rolled away before the wolf even saw it move!
       The rolling bun rolled on and met a bear. "Little rolling bun, little rolling bun, I shall eat you up," the bear said. "You will not, pigeon toes!“ And the rolling bun sang:

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun8.jpg

I was scraped from the cupboard, Swept from the bin, Kneaded with sour cream,Fried in butter, And cooled on the sill. I got away from Grandpa, I got away from Grandma, I got away from the hare, I got away from the wolf, And I'll get away from you, big bear! And again the rolling bun rolled away before the bear even saw it move!
       The rolling bun rolled and rolled and met a fox."Hello, little rolling bun, how nice your are!" said the fox. And the rolling bun sang:

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun9.jpg
  I was scraped from the cupboard, Swept from the bin, Kneaded with sour cream,Fried in butter, And cooled on the sill. I got away from Grandpa, I got away from Grandma, I got away from the hare, I got away from the wolf, I got away from bear, And I'll get away from you, old fox!
       "What a wonderful song!" said the fox. "But little rolling bun, I have became old now and hard of hearing. Come sit on my snout and sing your song again a little louder.“ The rolling bun jumped up on the fox's snout and sang the same song.

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun10.jpg
"Thank you, little rolling bun, that was a wonderful song. I'd like to hear it again. Come sit on my tongue and sing it for the last time," said the fox, sticking out her tongue. The rolling bun foolishly jumped onto her tongue and- snatch!- she ate it."

The end

http://enghelp.ru/uploads/posts/2008-12/the_rolling_bun11.jpg

TSAR SALTAN

Once upon a time in a far away land Tsar Saltan sat listening to the future plans of three sisters.

http://2012god.ru/wp-content/uploads/forum/16024_1332.jpg

One of these sisters said that she wanted to give birth to a great warrior, and employ the other two sisters in her charge. Tsar Saltan decided to marry this sister, making the other two sisters become very jealous. These two women decided to do everything they could to make the married sister's life unhappy.
Tsar Saltan soon went away to war. During his absence his queen gave birth to a healthy baby boy named Gvidon. It looked as if her dream of the future were beginning to be fulfilled, but her evil sisters wrote to the Tsar and convinced him that his son was an evil monster. Believing their ridiculous story, the Tsar then ordered that his wife and son be sealed in a barrel and cast into the sea.

http://artmus.culture21.ru/MuseumImages/12113jpg/12113.jpg

The barrel drifted for many years, finally washing ashore after Prince Gvidon had already grown into a man.

http://rodobogie.org/uploads/files/2014/12/11.%20sk-tsar-saltan-11.jpg

On this shore Prince Gvidon performed his first great task, he rescued a swan being attacked by an evil magician. Having been saved, the swan then turned into an enchanting princess who promised to help Gvidon find his father. The Prince then became ruler of the land that he had washed ashore upon, and his kingdom became famous throughout the world.

One day a merchant ship en route to Tsar Saltan's country passed through Prince Gvidon's magnificent land. On arrival to Tsar Saltan's country the merchant told the Tsar about his son's great land. Tsar Saltan made plans to travel there, but the evil sisters talked him out of it. The next time the merchant passed through the kingdom of Prince Gvidon he saw the Magic Squirrel which lived in a crystal cage that Prince Gvidon had built for it. Again the merchant arrived home to tell Tsar Saltan of his son's magical land, but again the evil sisters interfered. They told the Tsar that he should instead go to the land where one can see 33 warriors and Chernomor rise from the ocean.
http://rostochek-gik.narod.ru/olderfiles/1/33_bogatyrya7.jpg

The Princess Swan explained to Prince Gvidon that these warriors were her brothers, so when the merchant passed through the land a third time this feat was performed for him. Having heard this story the wicked sisters dissuaded the Tsar once more from traveling to his son by telling him that it would be more worth his while to find the Magic Princess with the Sea Star above her head.

http://contur.ucoz.ru/ZZZZ13/ZMpKBl.jpg

Prince Gvidon was sad when he discovered once more that his father would not come to see him. Little did he know that the Swan Princess and the Magic Princess were one in the same! The merchant then returned home a fourth time to inform the Tsar that his son had married the Magic Princess. The Tsar then immediately set sail for Gvidon's kingdom where the family was reunited.

They lived there happily ever after.

Queen Victoria vs. Queen Elizabeth II:

http://cdn.trend.az/media/pictures/2009/07/23/Yelizaveta2_230709.jpg
Queen Elizabeth II takes over from Queen Victoria
as the United Kingdom's longest-serving monarch.

Here's a tale of the tape:

Elizabeth: 89 and still going strong.

Queen Elizabeth II takes over from Queen Victoria as the United Kingdom's longest-serving monarch. Here's a tale of the tape:

Elizabeth: 90 and still going strong.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/77a7ee115853b368528a8d8f6d5dfd24468441d0/c=0-0-2045-1537&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2015/09/08/USATODAY/USATODAY/635773171027643137-PhilipEPA-BRITAIN-SCOTLAND-BRAEMER-QUEEN.jpg
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip attend the Braemar Gathering in Scotland this month. They are third cousins. (Photo: Robert Perry, epa)

• Relationship (apart from marriage) to spouse
Victoria: Her husband, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg, was her first cousin.
Elizabeth: Her husband, Prince Philip, is a third cousin.

• Number of children (and grandchildren)
Victoria: Nine (42).
Elizabeth: Four (eight).

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/7a072c09a5c03f7145ae620c10dede761549afdb/c=20-0-2479-1849&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2015/08/28/USATODAY/USATODAY/635763736692076295-d02-camilla-charles-wedding-dcov-si-13.jpg
Queen Elizabeth II looks on as Prince Charles and his new bride, Camilla Duchess of Cornwall, emerge from blessing ceremony at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle in April 2005. (Photo: Odd Andersen, AP)

• Naughty eldest sons
Victoria: Edward VII, who married Princess Alexandra of Denmark, was a serial philanderer, including with actress Lillie Langtry.
Elizabeth: Prince Charles, while married to Princess Diana, fooled around with Camilla Parker-Bowles, who he later married.

• Clothing color preference
Victoria: Black.She wore dark clothing after the death of her husband in 1861.
Elizabeth: Pastels, pastels, pastels.

• Hairstyle
Victoria: Straight and severely pulled back.
Elizabeth: Sensible curly helmet that has grayed over the years.

• Reigns how much of the world?
Victoria: Under her rule, the British Empire covered about a quarter of the globe.
Elizabeth: The British Isles (though not the Irish part) and a few small islands.

• Official visits to the United States
Victoria: Zero. Nada. None.
Elizabeth: Five.

• Most memorable saying
Victoria: "We are not amused" (in response to a risqué story told over dinner).
Elizabeth: "Grief is the price we pay for love" (memorializing British victims of 9/11).
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/2d8dc21ff3ed9977f4b200d64bea55f67262cc6f/c=0-0-2342-1761&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2015/09/08/USATODAY/USATODAY/635773174822835465-thatcherdeaths121213-031.jpg
Britain's Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in 1980.

Britain's Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in 1980. Queen Elizabeth reportedly did not get on with the Conservative leader. (Photo: Gerald Penny, AP)

• Number of prime ministers
Victoria: Ten. Benjamin Disraeli reportedly was her favorite.
Elizabeth: Twelve. Margaret Thatcher reportedly was her least favorite.

• Notable British export to America during reign
Victoria: Weaving technology.
Elizabeth: The Beatles.

Kadir Dogulu is a young Turkish actor

http://beauty-around.com/images/sampledata/votes_turkish_actors/kadir_dogulu.jpg
born in Mersin town, Turkey, on 19th of April, 1982

Kadir Dogulu is a young Turkish actor,
who found the way to charm both viewers and cinema critics. The Biography Kadir Dogulu was born in Mersin town on 19th of April, 1982. The little boy has five brothers, so his childhood was not boring and lonely. The family was very close-knit though not rich. His parents had to work hard to earn their living, so they brought up their children in the atmosphere of diligence. Kadir and his brothers knew since the first very years of life that earning money and becoming rich is not easy. The future celebrity’s elder brother was the first who moved into Istanbul. Than the rest of the family decided to live in the capital. Kadir recollects kindly about Mersin, which is a little coastal town that gives the picture of calm solitude and freedom. Kadir thinks that many of his personality traits came from there. As the actor said in one of the interviews, he didn’t dream about the cinema in the childhood. He was rather interested in barman or cooker’s profession, which could provide stable wages. He had even worked in tourism sphere – in one hotel. But after a while, Doğulu was noticed by model business employees and the young man was offered to work as a model. Kadir made a sparkling career in this field. Model work became the first step to the acting career. The young man that possessed attractive appearance and charm could not be left without acting agencies employees’ attention. The successive model was soon invited to play one of the roles in “Küçük Sirlar”. TV-series was already popular and watched by many viewers. So, Ali’s character executor obtained army of fans at once.

The Acting Career

1. The young man liked the process of Ali character creation very much. It revealed the boy’s excellent acting abilities. Kadir coped with fitting into an image and getting it across the footlights. 2. Other roles followed the first one. Doğulu was offered to play different characters and destinies. He took part in drama, actions and soup drama shootings. Some roles are quite serious and confirm the young man’s rich acting experience and talent. 3. It is interesting, that Doğulu combines the work in films with job in one of the Istanbul restaurant. So, his child dream to become a cooker came true. The young man managed even to get a proper education concerning cooking. 4. The last cinema news revealed that Kadir Doğulu now features in history TV-novel – “Muhteşem Yüzyıl, Kösem”. The young and perspective actor was invited to play the role of Sultan Ahmed I. The photo, published in the actor social network account, confirms that he prepares hardly for such a responsible role. The viewers can see on the photo the popular star in old, silver-haired man’s make-up. It is worth saying that Kadir is charming in this image.

The Private Life

Kadir’s success and popularity came from woman much. His name was marked for the first time in mass media due to his love affair with Hande Yener, who is a famous singer in Turkey. At this moment, the young talent’s fans are interested most of all in his love affair with a beautiful Turkish actress Neslihan Atagyul. The young people featured together in the TV-series “Fatih Harbiye”. Kadir and Neslihan took a decision to unify their destinies and create a family to their fans’ joy. It was an important decision for both of them. The charming actors celebrated even the engagement ceremony. It was held in a narrow family and the closest friends’ circle. The young couple hurried to share the happiness with their fans and published the photo from the wedding ceremony in the social accounts. These beautiful photos gained many pleasant comments. Now the happy wife and husband successfully cast the films. Neslihan features the bright soap drama “Kara Sevda” (with Burak Ozchivit), and Kadir took part in “Magnificent Century” shootings. But both of them recollect kindly the jointed work in TV-series, which helped them to see the best character features in each other. The Filmography 2010 – “Küçük Sirlar”, "Çakıl" 2013 – “Bir hikayem var”, “Fatih Harbiye”, “Ulan Istanbul” 2015 – “Sevdam Alabora”

Some Interesting Facts

Recemtly Kadir published the photo in his social net account, where he was taken in the image of old, silver-haired man. Wrinkles and silver hairs changed the actor, but his eyes are still sparkle with youth. Kadir would like to read his fans’ comments whether they would get his measure or not and whether his image was changed totally or not. The celebrity liked working under the role expressing in the history novel “Muhteşem Yüzyıl, Kösem”. He prepares seriously for it and even attends the lessons of riding hoarse in order to look confidently and effectively in the saddle. As Kadir’s colleges mark, he doesn’t suffer with star illness. He stayed kind and friendly person even after becoming successful and popular actor. Kadir Dogulu doesn’t avoid his fans and contact with them using each possibility. Kadir strikes up acquaintances easily and is always glad to acquire the new communication experience. The actors cooks well and does it with pleasure. He can serve a table for many quests very quickly.

USGS Estimates 20 Billion Barrels of Oil in Texas’ Wolfcamp Shale Formation
The Wolfcamp shale in the Midland Basin portion of Texas’ Permian Basin province contains an estimated mean of 20 billion barrels of oil, 16 trillion cubic feet of associated natural gas, and 1.6 billion barrels of natural gas liquids, according to an assessment by the U.S. Geological Survey

Release Date: November 15, 2016

This is the largest estimate of continuous oil that USGS has ever assessed in the United States.

The Wolfcamp shale in the Midland Basin portion of Texas’ Permian Basin province contains an estimated mean of 20 billion barrels of oil, 16 trillion cubic feet of associated natural gas, and 1.6 billion barrels of natural gas liquids, according to an assessment by the U.S. Geological Survey. This estimate is for continuous (unconventional) oil, and consists of undiscovered, technically recoverable resources.

The estimate of continuous oil in the Midland Basin Wolfcamp shale assessment is nearly three times larger than that of the 2013 USGS Bakken-Three Forks resource assessment, making this the largest estimated continuous oil accumulation that USGS has assessed in the United States to date.

“The fact that this is the largest assessment of continuous oil we have ever done just goes to show that, even in areas that have produced billions of barrels of oil, there is still the potential to find billions more,” said Walter Guidroz, program coordinator for the USGS Energy Resources Program. “Changes in technology and industry practices can have significant effects on what resources are technically recoverable, and that’s why we continue to perform resource assessments throughout the United States and the world.”

http://sg.uploads.ru/t/wOpim.jpg
Although the USGS has assessed oil and gas resources in the Permian Basin province, this is the first assessment of continuous resources in the Wolfcamp shale in the Midland Basin portion of the Permian.

Since the 1980s, the Wolfcamp shale in the Midland Basin has been part of the “Wolfberry” play that encompasses Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, and Lower Permian reservoirs. Oil has been produced using traditional vertical well technology.

However, more recently, oil and gas companies have been using horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing, and more than 3,000 horizontal wells have been drilled and completed in the Midland Basin Wolfcamp section.

The Wolfcamp shale is also present in the Delaware Basin portion of the Permian Basin province, but was not included in this assessment. The Permian Basin province includes a series of basins and other geologic formations in West Texas and southern New Mexico. It is one of the most productive areas for oil and gas in the entire United States.

Continuous oil and gas is dispersed throughout a geologic formation rather than existing as discrete, localized occurrences, such as those in conventional accumulations. Because of that, continuous resources commonly require special technical drilling and recovery methods, such as hydraulic fracturing.

Undiscovered resources are those that are estimated to exist based on geologic knowledge and theory, while technically recoverable resources are those that can be produced using currently available technology and industry practices. Whether or not it is profitable to produce these resources has not been evaluated.

USGS is the only provider of publicly available estimates of undiscovered technically recoverable oil and gas resources of onshore lands and offshore state waters. The USGS Wolfcamp shale assessment was undertaken as part of a nationwide project assessing domestic petroleum basins using standardized methodology and protocol.

(The new assessment of the Wolfcamp shale may be found online. To find out more about USGS energy assessments and other energy research, please visit the USGS Energy Resources Program website, sign up for our Newsletter, and follow us on Twitter.)

http://www.ckp-vmf.ru/news_pro/admin/foto/1463833859.jpg
(Photo Credit: US Navy/General Dynamics Bath Iron Works)

Destroyer Zumwalt breaks down and gets tow in Panama Canal
By: Christopher P. Cavas, November 22, 2016

The new, high-tech destroyer Zumwalt suffered an engineering casualty Monday evening while passing through the Panama Canal and had to be towed to a berth, the Navy said.

The 3rd Fleet in San Diego was able to provide only a few details late Monday evening, but early reports indicated the problems stemmed from an issue with heat exchangers in the ship’s integrated power plant, which provides electrical power to both the propulsion plant and sensors, weapons and ship’s services. 

Third Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Ryan Perry issued a statement late Monday:

“Vice Adm. Nora Tyson, commander, US Third Fleet, has directed USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) to remain at ex-Naval Station Rodman in Panama to address engineering issues that occurred while transiting the Panama Canal. The timeline for repairs is being determined now, in direct coordination with Naval Sea Systems and Naval Surface Forces. The schedule for the ship will remain flexible to enable testing and evaluation in order to ensure the ship's safe transit to her new homeport in San Diego.”

The casualty occurred as the Zumwalt was passing through the lower half of the canal, and the ship was towed through the Miraflores locks at the southern, or Pacific end, to Rodman, a former U.S. base once known as the Balboa Naval Station. The ship is en route to its home port of San Diego.

The Zumwalt was commissioned Oct. 15 in a ceremony at Baltimore, having left its builder’s yard at Bath, Maine, on Sept. 7. The ship’s crew has been dealing with a series of relatively minor incidents, including a seawater leak in a shaft lube oil system in September and, reportedly, several engineering issues while the ship was at Mayport Naval Station in Florida in late October.

The ship’s integrated power system is a new layout that uses advanced induction motors to produce up to 78 megawatts of electrical power, far more than any previous destroyer or cruiser.

Once at San Diego, the Zumwalt will enter an extended industrial period to complete the installation of its combat system -- a job expected to continue through most of 2017.

Fidel Castro Biography - Documentary.

★Watch Most Popular Documentaries Released at http://documentary.center/
This is a beautifully made documentary packed with rare archive footage and photographs. It shows Castro's childhood, his recklessness as a youth, his blossoming talents at the University of Havana and then his swift and complex ride to lawyer, jailbird, guerilla, politician and revolutionary. Adored and deplored, Castro's life makes compelling viewing.

=Spoiler написал(а):

Grammar

http://images.tutorvista.com/cms/images/69/uncountable-nouns.png

Упражнения

https://ru-static.z-dn.net/files/d7a/358777bcbb850aa08b2257be6475425f.jpg

https://en.islcollective.com/wuploads/preview_new/big_53424_few_a_few_little_a_little_1.jpg

http://lingvana.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Much-many.png

Hello there!

Here's another tutorial on how to make heart shape pom pom!
Enjoy!

=Spoiler написал(а):

How To Create A Cute Yarn Bird - DIY Crafts Tutorial - Guidecentral

=Spoiler написал(а):

Guidecentral is a fun and visual way to discover DIY ideas learn new skills, meet amazing people who share your passions and even upload your own DIY guides. We provide a space for makers to share their handmade crafts, home decor projects, fashion and beauty tips, homemade recipes and other life hacks with our global community.

Kirk Douglas, American actor (100 y.o.)

Unfortunately, once I did learn to smoke, I couldn't stop. I escalated to two packs a day very quickly, and stayed that way for about ten years. When I decided to stop, I adopted the method that my father had used when he quit. He would carry a cigarette in his shirt pocket, and every time he felt like smoking, he would pull out the cigarette and confront it: «Who stronger? You? Me?» Always the answer was the same: «I stronger.» Back the cigarette would go, until the next craving. It worked for him, and it worked for me.

Dean Martin - Sway

Lyrics:

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore
Hold me close, sway me more

Like a flower bending in the breeze
Bend with me, sway with ease
When we dance you have a way with me
Stay with me, sway with me

Other dancers may be on the floor
Dear, but my eyes will see only you