"КИНОДИВА" Кино, сериалы и мультфильмы. Всё обо всём!

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

English pages for Kids and Children.

Сообщений 941 страница 960 из 1000


English pages for Kids and Children.

Babs Bell (Bishop) Hajdusiewicz and her books

Bestselling author Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz

Bestselling author Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz, Ms.Ed. is the author of more than 100 books and 350 poems for children, including: Don’t Go Out in Your Underwear!; Phonics through Poetry: Teaching Phonemic Awareness Using Poetry; MORE Phonics through Poetry: Teaching Phonemic Awareness Using Poetry; Rhythm & Rhyme Reader Series; Questions and Answers Series; Jacks and More Jacks, Words! Words! Words!; Words and More Words. She is also author of Steppingstone Stories Series; Peaceful Me and Sometimes I Feel Happy, Sometimes I Feel Sad; three Poetry Works! collections for early childhood through intermediate grades; middle-grades biography Mary Carter Smith: African-American Storyteller; and the Dainty Dinosaur Series.

Hajdusiewicz stars in the Wright Group staff-development video Developing Oral Language and Phonemic Awareness through Rhythm and Rhyme. She has written numerous children's stories, articles for teachers and parents, and has contributed to and edited many elementary textbooks.

An educator for 40 years, Hajdusiewicz taught early childhood, elementary, and special education at all levels, served school districts in Indiana and Michigan as director of special education, and taught graduate and undergraduate education courses at Eastern Michigan and Cleveland State Universities. She founded Booking the Future: Reader to Reader™, a community-involvement literacy program that placed books in the hands and homes of more than 16,000 four, five, and six year olds, and Pee Wee Poetry™, a language development program for children aged two through nine. Hajdusiewicz is a frequent conference keynoter for educators and parents and a popular visiting author in schools across the country and abroad.

Specialties: Poetry for kids; humor; parenting for literacy; school staff development; author of numerous classroom materials; emphasis on phonemic awareness before phonics instruction; building love of learning from infancy onward

(Babs Bell Hajdusiewicz живет и работает в Атланте, штат Джорджия. Она написала более 100 книг и 350 стишков для детей. Своими книгами она предоставляет советы, консультации и материал для воспитателей, чтобы они чувствовали себя уверенно в том, что они помогают детям в период их раннего развития и становления их устной речи. Учителя английского языка могут использовать стихи для изучения языка в целом. Родители могут читать эти нехитрые стихи своим детям и помогать им изучать английский язык.)


Здесь также:
Nursery rhymes
For early learning counting fun
Describe 2D shapes
http://s3.uploads.ru/t/XPfDo.gif Learn English for free
Nursery rhymes & Education
Children songs

Picture Comprehension

песни из мульфильмов
видео на английском языке
тексты песен и сами песни известных исполнителей
интересные рассказы и стихи в оригинале для детей

Reading Comprehension for Kids

Reading Comprehension is suitable for Kindergarten students or beginning readers.
This product is helping children to sharpen reading and comprehension.


Gather around and listen well, for we have a fabled story to tell. Today is National Tell a Fairy Tale Day and a great opportunity to read to your kids. We are encouraged to explore myths, fantasy and fables, old, new or imagined by you on the spot. A fairy tale is a fictional story that may feature fairies, trolls, giants and talking animals. These stories often include enchantments and far-fetched events.










Short Vowels | a, e, i, o, u | Fun Phonics | Learn to Read | Kids vs Phonics




"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."

- C. S. Lewis












Andrew Carnegie
American industrialist and philanthropist

Andrew Carnegie, (born November 25, 1835, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland—died August 11, 1919, Lenox, Massachusetts, U.S.), Scottish-born American industrialist who led the enormous expansion of the American steel industry in the late 19th century. He was also one of the most important philanthropists of his era.

Carnegie’s father, William Carnegie, a handloom weaver, was a Chartist and marcher for workingman’s causes; his maternal grandfather, Thomas Morrision, also an agitator, had been a friend of William Cobbett. During the young Carnegie’s childhood the arrival of the power loom in Dunfermline and a general economic downturn impoverished his father, inducing the Carnegies to immigrate in 1848 to the United States, where they joined a Scottish colony of relatives and friends in Allegheny, Pennsylvania (now part of Pittsburgh). Young Andrew began work at age 12 as a bobbin boy in a cotton factory. He quickly became enthusiastically Americanized, educating himself by reading and writing and attending night school.

At age 14 Carnegie became a messenger in a telegraph office, where he eventually caught the notice of Thomas Scott, a superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, who made Carnegie his private secretary and personal telegrapher in 1853. Carnegie’s subsequent rise was rapid, and in 1859 he succeeded Scott as superintendent of the railroad’s Pittsburgh division. While in this post he invested in the Woodruff Sleeping Car Company (the original holder of the Pullman patents) and introduced the first successful sleeping car on American railroads. He had meanwhile begun making shrewd investments in such industrial concerns as the Keystone Bridge Company, the Superior Rail Mill and Blast Furnaces, the Union Iron Mills, and the Pittsburgh Locomotive Works. He also profitably invested in a Pennsylvania oilfield, and he took several trips to Europe, selling railroad securities. By the age of 30 he had an annual income of $50,000.

During his trips to Britain he came to meet steelmakers. Foreseeing the future demand for iron and steel, Carnegie left the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1865 and started managing the Keystone Bridge Company. From about 1872–73, at about age 38, he began concentrating on steel, founding near Pittsburgh the J. Edgar Thomson Steel Works, which would eventually evolve into the Carnegie Steel Company. In the 1870s Carnegie’s new company built the first steel plants in the United States to use the new Bessemer steelmaking process, borrowed from Britain. Other innovations followed, including detailed cost- and production-accounting procedures that enabled the company to achieve greater efficiencies than any other manufacturing industry of the time. Any technological innovation that could reduce the cost of making steel was speedily adopted, and in the 1890s Carnegie’s mills introduced the basic open-hearth furnace into American steelmaking. Carnegie also obtained greater efficiency by purchasing the coke fields and iron-ore deposits that furnished the raw materials for steelmaking, as well as the ships and railroads that transported these supplies to his mills. The vertical integration thus achieved was another milestone in American manufacturing. Carnegie also recruited extremely capable subordinates to work for him, including the administrator Henry Clay Frick, the steelmaster and inventor Captain Bill Jones, and his own brother Thomas M. Carnegie.

Carnegie, Andrew
Andrew Carnegie.
Rare Book and Special Collections Division/Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.

In 1889 Carnegie’s vast holdings were consolidated into the Carnegie Steel Company, a limited partnership that henceforth dominated the American steel industry. In 1890 the American steel industry’s output surpassed that of Great Britain’s for the first time, largely owing to Carnegie’s successes. The Carnegie Steel Company continued to prosper even during the depression of 1892, which was marked by the bloody Homestead strike. (Although Carnegie professed support for the rights of unions, his goals of economy and efficiency may have made him favour local management at the Homestead plant, which used Pinkerton guards to try to break the Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel, and Tin Workers.)

Andrew Carnegie.
© Photos.com/Thinkstock

In 1900 the profits of Carnegie Steel (which became a corporation) were $40,000,000, of which Carnegie’s share was $25,000,000. Carnegie sold his company to J.P. Morgan’s newly formed United States Steel Corporation for $250,000,000 in 1901. He subsequently retired and devoted himself to his philanthropic activities, which were themselves vast.

Carnegie wrote frequently about political and social matters, and his most famous article, “Wealth,” appearing in the June 1889 issue of the North American Review, outlined what came to be called the Gospel of Wealth. This doctrine held that a man who accumulates great wealth has a duty to use his surplus wealth for “the improvement of mankind” in philanthropic causes. A “man who dies rich dies disgraced.”

Booker T. Washington (front row, centre left), with Andrew Carnegie and other sponsors of the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute (later Tuskegee University), Alabama, 1903.
Booker T. Washington (front row, centre left), with Andrew Carnegie and other sponsors of the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute (later Tuskegee University), Alabama, 1903.
Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.

Carnegie’s own distributions of wealth came to total about $350,000,000, of which $62,000,000 went for benefactions in the British Empire and $288,000,000 for benefactions in the United States. His main “trusts,” or charitable foundations, were (1) the Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland (Edinburgh), founded in 1901 and intended for the improvement and expansion of the four Scottish universities and for Scottish student financial aid, (2) the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust , founded in 1903 and intended to aid Dunfermline’s educational institutions, (3) the Carnegie United Kingdom Trust (Dunfermline), founded in 1913 and intended for various charitable purposes, including the building of libraries, theatres, child-welfare centres, and so on, (4) the Carnegie Institute of Pittsburgh, founded in 1896 and intended to improve Pittsburgh’s cultural and educational institutions, (5) the Carnegie Institution of Washington , founded in 1902 and contributing to various areas of scientific research, (6) the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace , founded in 1910 and intended to disseminate (usually through publications) information to promote peace and understanding among nations, (7) the Carnegie Corporation of New York , the largest of all Carnegie foundations, founded in 1911 and intended for “the advancement and diffusion of knowledge and understanding among the people of the United States” and, from 1917, Canada and the British colonies. The Carnegie Corporation of New York has aided colleges and universities and libraries, as well as research and training in law, economics, and medicine.

Cartoon depiction of Andrew Carnegie, 1903.
© Photos.com/Thinkstock

Chief among Carnegie’s writings are Triumphant Democracy (1886; rev. ed. 1893), The Gospel of Wealth, a collection of essays (1900), The Empire of Business (1902), Problems of To-day (1908), and Autobiography (1920).

Carnegie married Louise Whitfield in 1887. Until World War I, the Carnegies alternated between Skibo Castle in northern Scotland, their home in New York City, and their summer house “Shadowbrook” in Lenox, Massachusetts.



The first thing to do about an obstacle is simply to stand up to it and not complain about it or whine under it but forthrightly attack it. Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them. You will find that they haven't half the strength you think they have. Just stand up to it, that's all, and don't give way under it, and it will finally break. You will break it. Something has to break and it won't be you, it will be the obstacle.

- Andrew Carnegie



London-UK. The Natural History Museum

The Natural History Museum is one of three large museums on Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, England (the others are the Science Museum, and the Victoria and Albert Museum). Its main frontage is on Cromwell Road. The museum is an exempt charity, and a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The museum is home to life and earth science specimens comprising some 70 million items within five main collections: Botany, Entomology, Mineralogy, Palaeontology and Zoology.


The museum is a world-renowned centre of research, specialising in taxonomy, identification and conservation. Given the age of the institution, many of the collections have great historical as well as scientific value, such as specimens collected by Darwin. The Natural History Museum Library contains extensive books, journals, manuscripts, and artwork collections linked to the work and research of the scientific departments. Access to the library is by appointment only.


The museum is particularly famous for its exhibition of dinosaur skeletons, and ornate architecture — sometimes dubbed a cathedral of nature — both exemplified by the large Diplodocus cast which dominates the vaulted central hall. Originating from collections within the British Museum, the landmark Alfred Waterhouse building was built and opened by 1881, and later incorporated the Geological Museum. The Darwin Centre is a more recent addition, partly designed as a modern facility for storing the valuable collections. Like other publicly funded national museums in the United Kingdom, the Natural History Museum does not levy an admission charge.



National Museum of Natural History, Paris.

National Museum of Natural History, known in French as the Museum national d'histoire naturelle, is the national natural history museum of France and a grand etablissement of higher education part of Sorbonne Universities.

The main museum is located in Paris, France, on the left bank of the River Seine. It was founded in 1793 during the French Revolution, but was established earlier in 1635. As of 2017, the museum has 14 sites throughout France, with four in Paris, including the original location at the royal botanical garden, the Jardin des Plantes, which remains one of the seven departments of MNHN.

    Дата основания: 10 июня 1793 г.

    Метро: Place Monge (Jardin des Plantes), Censier-Daubenton, Jussieu



Sherlock Holmes, Edinburgh by Colin Myers Photography

Sherlock Holmes statue, Edinburgh is located near to the birthplace and childhood home of Arthur Conan Doyle



William Wallace statue - Edinburgh, Scotland
Edinburgh Castle entrance



English rhymes for children

And you?

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Sugar is sweet
http://s8.uploads.ru/t/DR2nh.gif And so are you.



St James’s Park, London

St. James's Park is a 23 hectare (58 acre) park in Westminster, central London, the oldest of the Royal Parks of London.
The park lies at the southernmost tip of the St. James's area, which was named after a leper hospital dedicated to St. James the Less.
St. James's Park is bounded by Buckingham Palace to the west, The Mall and St. James's Palace to the North, Horse Guards to the east, and Birdcage Walk to the south.
The park has a small lake, St. James's Park Lake, with two islands, Duck Island (named for the lake's collection of waterfowl), and West Island.
A bridge across the lake affords a view of Buckingham Palace framed by trees and fountains, and a view of the main building of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, similarly framed, to the east.

St James’s Park, London, in April.
The gardens here make you want to fall about and squeal with glee.
Actually all English gardens, which are the best gardens in the world, make you feel that way.




London's St James's Park
is the oldest Royal Park in the city and undoubtedly one of its most lovely.
The park boasts beautiful flower beds, grassy open space and a lake that's home to local waterfowl.
The thirty-six-hectare (90 acre) large park is surrounded by stately buildings, including two palaces.

The Park's History

The land on which St James's Park sits was the site of a lepers hospital for women. The hospital was dedicated to James the Less, hence the name of the park. Henry VIII built St. James's Palace on the site of the hospital and turned the adjoining marsh and meadowland into a royal ground for deer hunting and duck shooting.

King James I opened a menagerie with exotic animals including crocodiles and an elephant, which was given more than four liters of wine every day. He also had a large aviary which explains the name of the street that runs south of St. James's Park, Birdcage Walk.

In the seventeenth century Charles II had the park laid out in a formal French style, mimicking the gardens of Versailles he had seen during his exile in France. It was then that the long narrow lake was created out of a marsh. Charles II was also the first to open the park to the public.


The park's current appearance is a result of a redesign in 1828, when architect John Nash carried out a modernization project.
He made the park more romantic in style and revitalized the trees, lawns, and gardens.




St. James's Park

The Park Today

St. James's Park is one of the most meticulously maintained parks in London. There are many flower beds, and paved paths meander through the park. In the summertime, during sunny spells, sunbathers relax in deck chairs on the groomed lawns.

Most visitors simply enjoy strolling through the park, watching the wildlife. The park provides habitats for a variety of fauna, in particular birds. The lake is home to fifteen different species of waterfowl, including pelicans, which were introduced to the park in the mid 1600s when the Russian ambassador gave a couple of these long-beaked birds as a present to Charles II.

The park welcomes more than five million visitors per year and has become quite popular with the movie industry. The bridge across the lake is particularly popular and has featured in many movies. The bridge was built in the 1950s as a replacement for the less-practical Chinese-style bridge that was built as part of Nash's redesign. There was also a Chinese pagoda from the same era, but unfortunately it burned down due to fireworks.



St. James's Park

Bird Cage Walk, St James's Park -
The name Birdcage Walk comes from an aviary built there by James I.



St James's Park-
In The Sign of Three, Sherlock and John are seen to cross St James's Park Lake over The Blue Bridge, affording a spectacular view of Whitehall and the London Eye to the east and Buckingham Palace to the west.

Royal Surroundings

View towards Whitehall

From the bridge you have a magnificent view over Buckingham Palace, where monarchs have resided since 1837.

It is not the only palace around St. James's Park: to the northeast, across the Mall, is the namesake St. James's Palace.

The park is located in the heart of London's political center and there are many important sights and landmarks in the vicinity. From the park you can see the many towers from Whitehall and the Horse Guards Parade, and famous sights like Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey and the former Palace of Westminster are all nearby. So is the Victoria Memorial, a large monument in front of Buckingham Palace.


Guards Division Memorial

There are also a couple of monuments on the grounds of St. James's Park. On the eastern fringe of the park is the Guards Division Memorial.
It commemorates

the soldiers of the Guards regiments who lost their lives during the World Wars. The memorial appropriately overlooks the Horse Guards parade ground.

On the northern edge of St. James's Park, near the Mall, is the Royal Artillery South Africa Memorial, with a large statue of an allegorical figure of Peace controlling a winged horse, representing War. The memorial commemorates the Royal artillery soldiers who died during the Boer Wars.



Regent's Park in London, UK

Regent's Park (officially The Regent's Park) is one of the Royal Parks of London. It lies within north-west London, partly in the City of Westminster and partly in the London Borough of Camden. It contains Regent's University London and the London Zoo.

The park is Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.